How long does it take for gasoline to go stale?

Shibathedog

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think youll be fine, it takes forever for gas to brake down. You might have sediments at the bottom, or a thin layer of water due to condensation though.

I believe youd have a bigger issue with the seals of the engine drying out if you didnt turn the engine often.

I think youll be fine, it takes forever for gas to brake down. You might have sediments at the bottom, or a thin layer of water due to condensation though.

I believe youd have a bigger issue with the seals of the engine drying out if you didnt turn the engine often.

WRONG! Gas goes bad in a few months, and it varnishes metal components like carburetors, this process starts within a few weeks. Easy to plug a pin sized hole with this varnish, which is what the size of holes in carb needles are, starving the engine of fuel in the process.

Hell the oxidization alone over time can EAT A HOLE in your gas tank if left long enough.

Try leaving a motorcycle or snowmobile sitting for 6+ months with gas in it, and get it started...you won't without Carb cleaner blown through the air intake and a bit of ether in the gas tank.

If you have fuel injection (especially electronic, where the computer will compensate) this is less of an issue, but you better burn it all off and fill with a fresh tank of gas and dump injector cleaner in there.

Any time you are going to leave gas sit in the tank for more than a couple weeks, throw some Stabil in the tank.

alright cool. It seems like I'll have to add some stuff to the gas/get some carb cleaner but other than that I'll be okay. It hasn't been THAT long so I doubt the seals are fucked.

I would start it but I need to get a new battery (still under warranty though) and then I have to get it to the shop for a new crankshaft position sensor. I would try jumping it but my other car is probably much too small to jump this car heh. (2.2 I4 Vs 3.8 V6)

I would start it but I need to get a new battery (still under warranty though) and then I have to get it to the shop for a new crankshaft position sensor. I would try jumping it but my other car is probably much too small to jump this car heh. (2.2 I4 Vs 3.8 V6)

You may boost it just fine, without the battery if it's carbureted and has no electronics controlling any of the fuel or ignition system. You won't have any lights or accessories mind you, but once the engine is running the battery does NOTHING in that department and serves only to provide power to the cars mechanical components and charge the battery.

If there's any sort of sense circuit for the battery, which would indicate electronic components SOMEWHERE, this won't work.

The other car running when doing so is PLENTY, you're drawing off the other cars battery as well as it's alternator.

Just an FYI while I'm at it, NEVER boost a small vehicle (ATV, Motorcycle etc) with the donor car running, the amperage from the alternator WILL destroy the charging circuit in the smaller vehicle.

That's good to know, I didn't think boosting would even work if the donor car wasn't running unless it had some sort of monster sized battery. Even then I would be nervous it would drain it. I guess not though.

I'll give it a shot, It might have circuitry like that because everything in this car seems to be computerized though.

That's good to know, I didn't think boosting would even work if the donor car wasn't running unless it had some sort of monster sized battery. Even then I would be nervous it would drain it. I guess not though.

I'll give it a shot, It might have circuitry like that because everything in this car seems to be computerized though.

It won't without it running, have it running when you boost the other car. Even if it's the same size battery the other car would have, you'll wind up with a reverse voltage drop across all of the electrical in the donor car.