Another Thanksgiving

Krosigrim

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey your damn holiday netted me a deal on 1.5Tb hard drives.

Seagate's, not those shitty WD Blue or Green drives, I'll never touch another WD drive again in my life...look forward to seeing them go bankrupt, since they're going "Cheap China" on all their drives now.

$60 a piece.

All is fair in love and land stealing...

Fuck that. I have gone through a ridiculous amount of hard drives. Western Digital is best. To be honest though I have never used one of the Green drives. Only Blue and Black. Mostly black too because the price difference is usually not much. I have used probably a few hundred of them and never seen one fail. (I build computers for people a lot) Even the ones that ended up getting used at construction sites in enclosures getting banged up all day still work. On the other hand almost every single Seagate I have ever owned has crapped out on me. They either just completely die with no warning or start corrupting things so fast you can't recover shit. I've lost tons of data because of those bastards. I have only one that still works and it is the one that came in my xbox. I think the performance is usually a bit better as well. At least in real world usage. It seems like WDs can never completely fail, they just get slower.

My 320GB drive in my sig is from like 2006-ish. Ever since I bought it around 100GB gets written to it and erased on a daily basis. My computer is also almost never off. The drive still works great! I also have a 12GB from I think 2001 (it's a laptop drive) that still works. I don't use it anymore but that thing was filled to the brim and erased so many times it's ridiculous. I think I retired it in like 2005.

WD has also never had incidents like the Seagate 7200.12 thing (maybe it was 7200.11) or the Hitachi Deathstar (Deskstar) although I hear good things about Hitachi now.

I've always bought WD and they have had their ups and downs. For the most part, all of my internal WD drives have been reliable. The externals are another story though, I had a 320GB MyBook die after a couple of years and I had three 500GB DVR Expanders. Two of the three expanders died and I sold the last one before it had a chance to. I've also found their external enclosures to be cheaply made and extremely loud. The 320GB MyBook actually caused a noticeable vibration when I had it sitting on my desk.

I usually buy hard drives in sets of two - one to store the data on and another to back it up to. Luckily, they have gotten cheap enough that it's feasible.

My father made awesome pies, homemade apple and pumpkin.

We had turkey, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, homemade stuffing, snack trays with vegetables such as pickles, olives, carrots, bread boat with dip, potato chips and dip, sweet potato mashed potatoes with marshmallows.

Turkey was badass, moist, not even close to dry. Homemade stuffing, mashed potatoes with mozzarella baked into it, and more. Ate like a king, drank a beer and passed out. had to be at work at 4:45 AM for Black Friday.

I remember like it was yesterday, when having 40 Gigs was alot... and pretty damn expensive. (12 or so years... wow time flies) Now you can get 1000 Gigs for less than 40 Gigs then... (Black Friday or not, thinking of it this way... its INSANE)

Turkey was badass, moist, not even close to dry. Homemade stuffing, mashed potatoes with mozzarella baked into it, and more. Ate like a king, drank a beer and passed out. had to be at work at 4:45 AM for Black Friday.

I remember like it was yesterday, when having 40 Gigs was alot... and pretty damn expensive. (12 or so years... wow time flies) Now you can get 1000 Gigs for less than 40 Gigs then... (Black Friday or not, thinking of it this way... its INSANE)

What I'd like to know is why Optical Media is still so expensive in comparison. A friggin hard drive that's 20x the size of a DVD, costs less than half the amount per-GB.

A 50 pack of DVD-Rs here? Average price not on sale is around $30-$35 in stores. Say what? 300GB or so in optical media, for the price of a ~600GB hard drive?

You guys don't pay a sur-tax on blank media though, we do here...and it keeps entities such as the RIAA(Or CAD equivalent) from opening their yaps even.

$5 50s of blank DVDs? Budget brands? There's plenty of those here, but I won't use cheap never heard of media, it's always been junk when I have.

I buy Maxell or the Staples discs, as I know they're CMC MAG discs (Only 3-4 actual manufacturers of blank media in the world).