Demon's Souls

Devia Eleven

A very stand-offish game with requirements that not many people like. I decided to rent it from Gamefly just recently, (planning to buy soon), the game seems very unforgiving and long. This game itself expects you to basically learn on your own.

Upon starting up the main adventure, your character is extremely weak and inexperienced. After 4-5 hours of learning how the game works, and cautiously using the stamina bar, the game's difficulty lifts up a bit. This game has an Online log filled with players who are either playing at the moment, or that have died recently. (I think) It's a never ending dungeon crawler, with blood spots around the dungeons, blood spots from other particular players, where you can summon a ghost of their player, and the game will replay how and where they died.

It's very useful for people who don't use guides, while I myself tend to use guides because Demon's Souls method of dying is not so instantaneously recoverable.

Your health cuts in half temporarily, and you lose all of your experience points, (Souls), so you'll have to go all the way back to where you died, and touch your bloodspot, to get all of your souls back.

Instead of selling all of the items you collect over the course of time, you are only able to deposit them into the Stockpile "guy", you’re able to increase stats so that you can carry more weight while moving. I'm really enjoying this title, and I just defeated my third boss.

Being able to walk through the first dungeon, and get one hit kills, lets you know that you've gotten stronger.

I'll be back later.

The first instance of frustration came over me not too long ago when I died in the same dungeon, three times in a row due to very small mistakes. I got blindsided by a mage around the corner and I had no idea it was there, hence me rushing through to get my other Souls back.

The second time I was ambushed by nearly 11 skeletons in a jail cell with no type of large radius, multiple hit attack to get all of them off of me, and the third, I simply just fell off the stage. So I ended up losing around 20,000 souls, that I could have used to upgrade my weapon, or my stats. The constant, non-progression feel makes me want to turn the game off at times.

Kind of the same deal in my case, although far earlier in the game. The game certainly doesn't hold your hand at any point, but rather beats you into submission in the crudest manner possible over and over again, until you slowly start to grasp at the concepts of what hopefully guarantee your survival... until you get your ass handed to you again, somewhere down the line.

With far less souls and an ethereal body with half the HP.

EDIT: Have you taken a gander at that one Japanese dude playing who makes the game his bitch in ~50 minutes? I suggest you don't if you like to find things out on your own or if you can't handle that soul-crushing realization of how much you suck at the game. Well ok, it does give you a number of good tips, but the guy boosts through the enemies and bosses with such speed that you probably won't have time to soak it all in.

Kind of the same deal in my case, although far earlier in the game. The game certainly doesn't hold your hand at any point, but rather beats you into submission in the crudest manner possible over and over again, until you slowly start to grasp at the concepts of what hopefully guarantee your survival... until you get your ass handed to you again, somewhere down the line.

With far less souls and an ethereal body with half the HP.

Absolutely.

Demon's Souls is an absolutely terrific game when you haven't died within the course of 3-4 hours of pure level grinding. Dying, really, really sets me off, especially after I've, over and over again, collected 14,000 souls doing dungeon runs, and then upgrading my weapons and stats. And when you take down exponentially tough enemies, around 2-3 of these guys, (Tentacle Head Wizards), you start to rack in butloads of Souls, and when you die twice in a row, there's really no reason to keep playing this game.

If you don't have any resurrection items on hand, (I collected 6, now I have 1 left), your health will be cut in half until you come across another miracle.

EDIT: Have you taken a gander at that one Japanese dude playing who makes the game his bitch in ~50 minutes? I suggest you don't if you like to find things out on your own or if you can't handle that soul-crushing realization of how much you suck at the game. Well ok, it does give you a number of good tips, but the guy boosts through the enemies and bosses with such speed that you probably won't have time to soak it all in.

I tend to do this after I complete said game. If I watched it now, I would probably be so embarrassed, that I would quit.

It was the same case with Ninja Gaiden II, I was able to enjoy myself watching some guy juggle enemies in Ninja Gaiden II and make the bosses seem like nothing. I can be embarrassed whilst knowing that I've completed the game more than 4-5 times before.

It was the same case with Ninja Gaiden II, I was able to enjoy myself watching some guy juggle enemies in Ninja Gaiden II and make the bosses seem like nothing. I can be embarrassed whilst knowing that I've completed the game more than 4-5 times before.

Heh, I'm still struggling with Chapter 1 on Mentor. God, what an unforgiving bitch of a game Sigma 2 is.

Hopefully you can put up with Demon's Souls, because it's an incredibly rewarding feeling when you finally make progress after being stuck in a rut for so long. Those tentacle-headed wizards = game-breaker. Mostly.

Heh, I'm still struggling with Chapter 1 on Mentor. God, what an unforgiving bitch of a game Sigma 2 is.

I've beaten Mentor on Sigma 2, (not easily), but Mentor for Ninja Gaiden II is un-doable, seriously, I think it's impossible, for me anyway. The difficulty was toned down for Sigma 2, but most of it is still there.

Hopefully you can put up with Demon's Souls, because it's an incredibly rewarding feeling when you finally make progress after being stuck in a rut for so long. Those tentacle-headed wizards = game-breaker. Mostly.

After a long day of work, I just finished this boss, for an idea of where I am in the game.

(This is not me playing).

I'm 23 hours in at level 45 and the difficulty is as grueling as ever. Fighting two bosses at once on a narrow strip of land is not easy, especially dodging their attacks whilst trying to not fall off the stage by accident. I died 3 times at the same boss. I used up all of my revival items, so I had to join another anonymous person's game Online, and help him or her defeat the boss at hand, (was a cake walk considering my level), I got my original body back, and summoned two guys stronger than me, to help me with my own boss fight, which ended up being a breeze with their help.

I was actually ready to quit, on the route to the boss, there is a Black Phantom, Tentacle Head Wizard Monster, on a swirling set of stairs without any hand rails, (you could fall off of them with one wrong small step), with the small staircase, there is no where to dodge roll or strafe, and you can't hit it with arrows or use magic spells, because it will run up to you close range, grab you with telekinesis, and impale you. (And it'll do this over and over until you die). It has the advantage of ranged attacks and ranged grabs, luckily, right before the last time I fought the boss, the bastard stumblingly fell off of the staircase by accident.

I'm 23 hours in at level 45 and the difficulty is as grueling as ever. Fighting two bosses at once on a narrow strip of land is not easy, especially dodging their attacks whilst trying to not fall off the stage by accident. I died 3 times at the same boss.

Was that the boss where you fight two gargoyle-looking creatures on a bridge of some sort?

I'm 23 hours in at level 45 and the difficulty is as grueling as ever. Fighting two bosses at once on a narrow strip of land is not easy, especially dodging their attacks whilst trying to not fall off the stage by accident. I died 3 times at the same boss.

Was that the boss where you fight two gargoyle-looking creatures on a bridge of some sort?

Yes, it's not fun at all.

I've come to a point in the game, where it looks like there's no hope for my character. I've reached this boss, that is for the most part, complete melee based. He also has the ability to de-level you, if he grabs you you'll go down one level. I'm at level 79 and before I was at 82. The strategies I've watched on YouTube aren't working for me, because I don't have the correct items / stats / abilities to emulate.

I've lost around 120,000 souls because I've fought this guy 4 times, and I've lost all of them. It doesn't help, that on the route to this boss, there's a Blue Dragon who blows fire on an entry way every 5 seconds, and there are also enemies on the same walk way, that can attack you, while you've already gotten most of your health taken away by the fireblast itself. I've used up all of my revival items, and now I'm thinking about grinding to Oblivion, and collecting recommended spells before returning.