SNES 9x speed issues

ace9094

The latest version of this emulator only runs at full speed if you switch the xbox to NTSC. I've had to make my whole xbox NTSC just to fix this issue, but once done it works fine and at full speed again.

The problem is only on PAL xboxes, Madmab is aware of the problem but no fix has been released to date...

The latest version of this emulator only runs at full speed if you switch the xbox to NTSC. I've had to make my whole xbox NTSC just to fix this issue, but once done it works fine and at full speed again.

The problem is only on PAL xboxes, Madmab is aware of the problem but no fix has been released to date...

I think that is an illusion. I would assume it is running fullspeed with heavy frameskip (which means it's not really fullspeed). You can't really "see" unless you enable an FPS counter. I don't think there is one (I could be wrong). Two years ago I tested a version with the FPS counter and 95% of all games averaged 45 FPS. Only Super Mario World hit 60 FPS (in the tests I ran).

If I enabled filters, the FPS got worse. I don't believe the performance is any better than Xsnes9x (which didn't run virtually any game fullspeed at 60 FPS). Of course, I haven't tested any of the newer versions, but I assume the core is the same and that is the bottleneck.

I think that is an illusion. I would assume it is running fullspeed with heavy frameskip (which means it's not really fullspeed). You can't really "see" unless you enable an FPS counter. I don't think there is one (I could be wrong). Two years ago I tested a version with the FPS counter and 95% of all games averaged 45 FPS. Only Super Mario World hit 60 FPS (in the tests I ran).

If I enabled filters, the FPS got worse. I don't believe the performance is any better than Xsnes9x (which didn't run virtually any game fullspeed at 60 FPS). Of course, I haven't tested any of the newer versions, but I assume the core is the same and that is the bottleneck.

Hi NES,

I think it runs full speed 60 FPS (no frameskip) on my upgraded 1.4ghz, Trusty Xbox. Are there any games in particular that you recall have low FPS? I'd like to test it out to see how it runs.

Hope you're well.

Edited by PhilExile

Hi NES,

I think it runs full speed 60 FPS (no frameskip) on my upgraded 1.4ghz, Trusty Xbox. Are there any games in particular that you recall have low FPS? I'd like to test it out to see how it runs.

Hope you're well.

In your case most if not all games probably run fullspeed. The ones to test would be Doom, Star Fox, the Super Mario RPG demo, and the title screen for Yoshi's Island. Those are good stress tests for an SNES emulator. Doom doesn't even run fullspeed in ZsnexBox. I think it is the only game that does not.

hmmm interesting! so when I switch to NTSC you think its just frameskip creating the illusion of fullspeed, so I guess that means I am losing a few frames here and there. I wonder why that is.... maybe the frameskip settings for NTSC are set up differently to the PAL, I think madmab is using NTSC so that would make sense...

So Zsnex runs at a higher framerate on most games? if so then my next question would be could somebody with the skills make a skin that utilises the ressurection xtras? especially the synopsis, it makes those games so much more accessable...

Edited by sbpaabck