Hot Peppers

Krosigrim

I love eating peppers, and I love eating hot food. Jalapenos are alright, but I prefer Habeneros. Like you said though, homegrown are ALWAYS better than store bought. Especially if they have been pickled it seems. I'm currently in the process of growing some of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_Jolokia_pepper

I honestly believe I can eat them with no problem I eat so much insanely hot food. I hope to have a huge bush of them going. I ordered them partially grown from a greenhouse that knows what they are doing so hopefully I can achieve maximum hotness like they talk about here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale

What I like about these peppers/habenero/jalapeno/etc. is that not only are they hot, but they have a flavor. Just plain hot is no fun, I could just go buy the extract oil and add it to everything. A nice blend of peppers is probably the best way to go.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turns out the fomenting process or marinading... whatever it is you do with these things. These peppers I have were sitting in apple cider. That is what augments their natural flavor. FYI in case that is something you want to try.

Yea as far as flavor, Jalapeno do have flavor, but its so so. I actually wish for a hot sauce that tastes good. Most taste too salty or too vinegary. Perhaps I can make these into a hot sauce, or use the method Cinder mentioned and see what I can come up with.

Yeah that's true. When you are looking for hot sauces look at the ingredients and make sure vinegar is far down on the list. If its one of the first 3 ingredients its almost definitely garbage hot sauce. I actually collect hot sauce. Isn't that weird? I don't really collect anything else though. I don't keep it unopened or anything though. I just use each one for different foods and stuff so they end up lasting awhile since the usage is dispersed among so many bottles.

Thats not weird at all. I am actually looking for the perfect hot sauce, and you know then that it is a quest. Ill have to keep that in mind, looking for where the vinegar is on the list. I hate the sauces everyone else likes, they just taste salty. Texas Pete, even Tabasco sucks to me. I always wanted something hot, that tasted awesome. I thought I was never going to find it, but since I had these peppers...

We have a place based out of Central Florida called Tijuana Flats. Its a goofy kind of place but they make good food. They have a ton of sauces that they make. Endorphin Rush: I had this back in Florida. Put a small ammt on a chip, it was quite hot. Went back to my food (without that sauce of course) and noticed where the sauce touched my tongue was numb, as in dead. The sauce KILLED my tastebuds!!! Literally!!!

Hit the hot foods at the end of the tab, they have a few categories: Tijuana Sauces/ Sissy Sauce/ Middle Weight/ Tear Jerker/ Death Wish/ 15 Hottest. You can order them but I recommend not. Just on the fact that you cannot see the ingredients from the site and never know what is good or not. For instance I HATE Cyan pepper. And if I taste it in a sauce it goes on my shit list.

But since you collect... perhaps you can brave the possibility of grabbing a lame sauce. You could hit the appropriate tab and get the heat yer looking for. Some are pretty damn good. But its rare to for me to find something I love. And if I like something, it may not be on the Hotsauce bar when I go in the next time. But they do have ALOT of different flavors.

Yeah I do end up with some crappy ones, sometimes mixing a few together makes them great though :lol:

There used to be this store around here where I could get these like 1 liter bottles of cheap ass mexican hot sauces for less than 70 cents. Some of them where actually real good. Now they are like 4 or 5 bucks which is still a pretty good deal but it pisses me off. I used to waste the shit all over my burritos. Some of them weren't even very hot at all but tasted so good.

I like those insanely hot sauces so much though. It has to taste like something besides just hotness though. The other day I mixed a few of my hottest together in a bowl of chili. Shit gave me the hiccups :lol: Was very good though and I kept eating it until my nose was running too.

Damn.

Well I can handle pretty hot stuff but I dont like to kill tastebuds. If I sweat thats fine. Yea I like the zip of hot added to flavor. I dont like overpowering stuff. Yea that zip... If I eat Subway and there is no Jalapeno it just doesnt taste right. Like im eating bread and lettuce only.

And its not like im a condiment whore either, I enjoy good flavor. And... I absolutely HATE ketchup. I literally wanted to smack those who would ask for it when I worked at Subway. Even kids, Id smack them too. Add Mayo to ketchup and its fine. Mayo and Bullseye is THE SHIT! I want a perfect sauce for my fries. My mayo and Bullseye needs alittle kick, but I dont want to kill the flavor thats already established. Ahhh, I think right now, Ill mince some of those peppers and add it to the mix.

Pre-heating the oven now. Time for some Fallout: New Vegas with a snack!

It seems like every day I find out someone else I talk to hates ketchup. What is with all the ketchup hate?! I mean yeah putting it on a sub is retarded and I probably do prefer mustard overall, but its still good! I'm a mustard freak too by the way. Never managed to collect too much of it at once like I do with hot sauce though. I usually eat it up too fast. I like that crazy hot mustard/the stuff with the bigass mustard seeds still in it. Mustard based dressings for salad hell yeah. Honey mustard on fries good as fuck! There is a mustard for everything. I recently saw something online about making your own mustard, I think I'm going to try that out. It looked pretty damn easy.

Speaking of BBQ/sauces/mustards though you need to try this shit:

http://www.hobokeneddies.com/page.asp?ID=5

Some of the best mustards/hot sauce/THE best BBQ sauce on earth. It's so thick and almost black. I brought that BBQ sauce to the deep south and it blew everyone away down there even. Seriously though, buy fucking everything on that page, you won't regret it. Even the ones that sound weird. I guarded my bottles closely when I had some (I need to order more) and I would notice if someone used it. WHO HAS BEEN EATING MY HOBOKEN EDDIES?!?!?! Reading the descriptions is making me so hungry I could probably just eat it by itself.

Ketchup sucks ass!!! I never met anyone who doesnt like it, so I felt alone. LOL.

It does NOT taste good. Im not saying it tastes horrible, but it isnt pleasant. If I am going to put something on anything, let it be ANYTHING other than ketchup. Ill put oil and vinegar on sandwiches, or just vinegar on fries, thats awesome. Ill eat Tomato soup, love it with grilled cheese. Ketchup is basically vinegar and tomato paste... how does it go wrong?!?!

On top of that it smells gross too. Ya know, I used to eat it on everything... I joke and say thats one of the reasons, but I dont really think so. My tastes have grown since I was a kid, ketchup is on my do not eat list.

Ketchup is catsup. Either way, whatever type or brand you get, tastes just as bad as the last one. BBQ sauce has endless variations. I always stay away from craft BBQ... their bbq is shameful, as their horse radish (mayo style: in the squeeze bottle) is AMAZING! My favorite is original Bullseye. Sounds generic but the taste is great. Blows the fucking hell out of most (well known) brands and obliterates ketchup. I actually need to try more brands, I see an 1/8 of a row devoted to different brands and types.

Perhaps there are HOTTT kinds I need to sample.

Yeah that does sound pretty good. Not a big mayo fan (I used to HATE mayo) but lately I've been liking it more and more.

I probably couldn't eat it before because when I worked at the sandwich shop it was just so fucking gross how much mayo people wanted. It was disgusting to make and look at. It would be oozing out the sides and dripping everywhere. No joke all the time people would want about 2/3 inch of mayo on each side of the bread, and then they would bitch that there wasn't enough and ask for like 10 mayo packets and they where those long style mayo packets that had quite a bit in them.