Guys why is this torrent im downloading going so slow?

emsley

My settings have been fine for the past two months suddenly Im trying to pluck 6.3 gb file (ahem you know what it is)

And im upping at 80kbs and downloading at 1.2kbs.

Seeds current count 16 (496) Peers 21 (1463)

Im using U torrent 2.4

Is there anything I should be looking at here to get things more even for me?

well you should be connected to a hell of a lot more seeds. that's the problem with publics. no one seeds. or they throttle the upload to almost nothing.

try to sign up at bitsoup.org

or demonoid

I think they are open right now.

well you should be connected to a hell of a lot more seeds. that's the problem with publics. no one seeds. or they throttle the upload to almost nothing.

try to sign up at bitsoup.org

or demonoid

I think they are open right now.

Bit soup just fucking flew!!! wooooo!

Looks like I have to be a good up-loader as well here.

You talk about peer guardian or something inky to help mask your tracks can you tell me more?

yeah keep a good upload ratio on bitsoup. Did you get in? they get everything so it should be your number 1 tracker.

Peerguardian blocks certain IP addresses. you just install it and it works with utorrent. but it really isn't necessary with a private tracker. but it's extra protection, so it can't hurt.

Make sure you set utorrent options the way Bitsoup wants you to. you have to disable DHT or something like that.

It's obvious you guys are like the majority of torrent users, in that you know NOTHING of how bandwidth and seed/peer ratio work.

You have practically a 3:1 Peer/Seed ratio on that torrent. 3 peers for every seeder.

Those seeders aren't necessarily seeding your one precious torrent.

Just because a seed is there, doesn't mean every one of those 1463 peers connects to them. 3-5 peer slots per torrent is average.

3 torrents seeding, 5 peer slots...there's 15 peers divided by X-kb/s.

Oh and I'll NEVER devote all my upstream to you, you chew up all the upstream and it obliterates my downstream. You can't talk to a server quick enough, you're waiting on it to return communication with you simply because it hasn't even received anything from you yet, there is a ACK(Acknowldegement) on EVERY packet before another is sent.

There's a good chance you're shooting YOURSELF in the foot emsley, if you're maxing out your upload...it's going to kill your download speed. 80kb/s your max? Give em 50 or 60 of it.

Not trying to be mean, but the fundamental lack of understanding in how this stuff works makes me want to scream sometimes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol

i give 40kb on my 1mb up.

the thing about publics is everybody is stingy and limits upload to 10 or 20kb. I've read more then one guide telling the idiots to do that. on a private where banning is a threat everybody keeps seeding and lets more of their upload go. it's not uncommon for me to get over 1.3mb down on a private. downloading 7gb in around 3 to 4 hours.

I have a 1mbit upload too (But I'll never get over 80-90kb/s...not 128kb/s), and I give 10-15kb/s upload. BUT I run Transmission on my BSD server for movie/TV downloads, I run uTorrent on my main windows PC for other stuff and uTorrent occasionally on my laptop if it's something I'd prefer to use on there.

That's 30-45kb/s of my upstream, leaving me with roughly half for other things. Saturating my upload for the sake of others is not something I will do, I hate waiting for a simple webpage to load for 30 seconds because my box communicates with the server like a kid with down syndrome.

I however always seed to at least 1.5, and my boxes are on 24/7 (At least the BSD server).

Never had a problem with dirt slow downloads like that, but I also fill out my tracker list with every tracker there is for a torrent.

Honestly this was the first torrent I have had trouble with in like a year.

If its working for me im not going to go looking to deep into how it works, now that it started jerking me around i had to dig a bit deeper.

Right now Im peaking my 3 meg download and my upload is sat on its ass...

When its done Ill just make sure it seeds at about 40 to 50 for a few days.

Ill be using bitsoup for games and publics for DVDrips from now on.