Some PS3 Hacking News.

fumanchu

OK A few questions!

1. You buy the gadget.

2. To copy the games to the hard drive you stick the gadget in and just "copy it?"

3. What happens if say uncharted 3 is released at it requires a firmware update to play? Is this gadget firmware proof?

Got my Atmel AVR XPLAIN board last Monday (the 6th) and it works great. Easy to setup drivers and flash (whole process taking about 2 minutes total). There's something nice about having dev mode available. :D

img0259tj.th.jpg img0257vk.th.jpg img0266kk.th.jpg img0267cx.th.jpg

Awesome! Where did you purchase yours from?

Got mine from Farnell (here in the UK). The board set me back about 35 pounds ($50 US), which included shipping. I ordered it on Friday (the 3rd) and had it the following Monday. Here's the link to it: Atmel AVR XPLAIN. Now with real homebrew taking off in the PS3 scene, I can't wait to see what else people start creating. I've already dumped my hard drive and flash (there are 3 flash locations by the way). B)

OK A few questions!

1. You buy the gadget.

2. To copy the games to the hard drive you stick the gadget in and just "copy it?"

3. What happens if say uncharted 3 is released at it requires a firmware update to play? Is this gadget firmware proof?

You buy the dev evaluation board, flash it with a hex file (which you can find preconfigured ones depending on which board you bought) and you use the software that the board uses for programming (in my case it's Atmel FLIP). You plug the device in to a PC, choose to flash it with the hex file, 20-30 seconds later, it's ready. You plug it into your PS3 (with all power off), then switch on power and press power button immediately followed by eject (make sure there's no disc in there before doing this). You'll hear three fast beeps if you've done it right. Once the PS3 boots up, you can unplug the board and dev mode will stay avtivated. You then choose the option to Install Package File from the game menu and put the backup manager package on a USB stick (not the dev board though) and install from there). When you run backup manager it detects what game is in the drive and any you have on your hard drive. If you choose the game in your drive, it'll start ripping the game to the hard drive (if you want it to rip to internal drive, don't have a USB hard drive plugged in). After it's done, put a disc (any regular PS3 game) in the drive and choose your ripped game from backup manager menu and it'll run from the hard drive.;)

Edited by General Plot

I've been watching all the PS3 isos pop up on torrent servers and I find it incredibly funny that 90% of them are in the 5 to 7 gig range.

"ohz, butt we gots the blurayz! our games are better cuz we gots moar gigz!"

I've been watching all the PS3 isos pop up on torrent servers and I find it incredibly funny that 90% of them are in the 5 to 7 gig range.

Lol, the only game that i know of that fully utilise Bluray space is MGS4. I dont think any other games used that much space :/ GOW3 maybe? Or any PS3 exclusive?

But seriously, i only found this useful IF you intend not to go online at all.

Lol, the only game that i know of that fully utilise Bluray space is MGS4. I dont think any other games used that much space :/ GOW3 maybe? Or any PS3 exclusive?

But seriously, i only found this useful IF you intend not to go online at all.

Heavy Rain is 17GB, Final Fantasy XIII is 40 GB and God Of War 3 is 39GB. I've ripped quite a few of mine that aren't overly huge, but still too big for even dual layer DVD's (typically in the 14-20GB range).:)