God damn cavity...

Just came back from the dentist today after having a cavity drilled. Turns out the numbing agent doesn't work too well on me... two shots and the pain was still excruciating. She had to stop half way through and put in a temporary filling. Get to go back in a month for more fun. This really sucks...

/rant

Takes 4-5 shots of Novocaine on me, I have a very high tolerance to narcotics and any surgery I've had has required twice the dosage of anesthetic to put me out.

Only have one cavity that was filled 6 years ago with acrylic, today I get to go back and get it fixed as part of it came out a few weeks ago.

I had my life's first cavity drilling a little over a year ago, at 25. Two cavities, one smaller and the other one was very deep according to the dentist. Didn't feel a thing despite the dentist not using any anesthetic/numbing agent.

The whole ordeal was actually a nice experience, since the chair was so comfortable.

P.S. I like this thread better over at The Lounge

reminds me of getting 2 teeth pulled years ago, bloody anaesthetic only kicked in when I was halfway home, didn't stop the dentist from going ahead & yanking them out anyway though :( you'd think the agonised sounds coming from me would have been a clue (these days have a different dentist) unsurprisingly when I had to have one taken out the other year I opted to go to the hospital where they have better drugs that put me totally out of it for the procedure, one needle prick in the arm & I wake up missing a tooth feeling no pain :)

Thing I really hate at the dentist's is the smell, especially when they're drilling tooth enamel. That particular burning odor is not cool.

The whole experience was odd. Everyone told me the needle would be the worst part and it honestly didn't bother me. She started drilling, broke through the enamel and started working on the dentin. Up to that point, there was no problem but as she moved deeper, I felt a really strong jolt of pain. From there, she gave me the second shot but it still didn't do a thing for me.

I'll probably end up going to another dentist, preferably one that put me out for the rest of this ordeal. It's really embarrassing that I could deal with heart surgery but a stupid cavity is becoming this much of a problem.

Well Novocain works... And its true some people need more than others. Either high/low pain tolerance and/or high/low tolerance to drugs. But you gotta realize this is straight nerve tissue their drilling into and your teeth are Uber sensitive. Imagine someone twisting a wirebrush IN the nerve cluster that is the funny bone.

Well itll be overwith eventually. I am not looking forward to my visit scheduled not too far off. They are gonna smile when they look in my mouth... (lots of work to be done= $$$$$$)

• 5 weeks later...
Well, I finally got it taken care of today. Went back to the same dentist and tried again with the numbing agent. She gave me three shots and the damn nerve wasn't numbed in the slightest.

You should of punched her.

My back teeth have always been ropey I have had loads of fillings and one tooth pulled at the back.

My last bunch of fillings which are usually repairs I haven't felt anything.

There should be absolutely no pain whatsoever at a dentist.