Others perceptions

They say you can choose your friends, but you can't choose your family?

That's right, but it doesn't mean I can't disown my family! I have extended family that is not allowed to be part of my life, and they know they are not welcome and that I do not like them.

Fuck family, if they're not with you they're against you and they don't get special treatment simply because they're family.

For the record, I do not keep touch with my father and the few times my daughter has seen him, he has been informed that "You are not her grandfather".

He's a drunk that doesn't care to be a father unless it suits him at the time, so he's not going to have his granddaughter call him Grandpa or even know he is. Her Grandpa is my stepdad of 26 years, and that's that.

After reading all of the above, I can say that I'm very proud of my mom (being a single parent, and the fact that I've never met my father - and he died in 2002). Anyway, I've had all kinds of arguments with my mom over what I should and should not do, but I chalk that up as two very strong-willed people trying to cope with each other, and that my mom truly worries about me.

The bad part of this is that she still feels that I'm not fully able to take care of myself (even at the age of 27, mind you), and this quite literally keeps her up at night when she thinks how uncertain my future supposedly is.

Even so, my mom is very far from being a control freak, but she is strikingly old-fashioned when it comes to certain things, and the same trait can be found in her brothers and sisters to a degree. It's very troublesome but does a good job showcasing the generation gap, where our opinions and views are very far apart. Her brother is quite an extreme version of this, as he thinks that credit/debit cards are unreliable and always pays everything with cash, sees everything from video games to home theaters as evil --- and openly chastises today's youth (myself included) for being work-shunning techheads that do not appreciate the ways his generation was accustomed with.

This is REALLY a good habit.

Well yeah, he says that he feels at ease when he sees the money physically change hands, instead of just a "hidden" transaction that shows up on a computer screen or on a receipt. He's never been too fond of plastic money, so to speak - and while he does have a credit/debit card (like everyone and their children these days) he simply goes to the nearest ATM and withdraws whatever sum he needs.

Well, personally, i have similar issues.

I despise all of my Father's family (with the exception of his father but my grandpa died a few years ago) and cannot stand them, mainly because they fucking suck (also my dad's sister and his mom are two of the critical reasons my life is so fucked at the moment)

I Do not like my dad, and resent him for so much shit, and again, he's pretty much the main reason for all the fucked things in my life, however, due to religious and cultural shit, i gotta stay in touch with him. I have two younger half sisters i love, that i barely see because i cannot stand him or his new wife. My sister has not talked to my father in years, she has no clue what our youngest sister is like.

my mother's extended family isn't that great either, but i can tolerate them.

but beyond my sisters, my mother, and my mother's mother , i could give two shits about family.