How to increase punch power and improve balance?

emsley

You need some zen. With zen you can do anything. They've started showing Steven Segal: Lawman over here, he tells you all about it. If you have zen you can shoot the tip of a match and light it, just like Segal.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How to toughen up quick! guess thats what im asking.

You need to learn how to throw a punch properly first.

Are you right or left handed?

learn how to rotate your shoulders and not wind up your punches.

Stand shoulder width apart and take one step back with your power side. Keep your chin tucked downward and your hands up.

Keep your shoulders relaxed and elbows loose. Breath every time you strike. Keep you're entire body loose and right before impact tighten up your fist and every muscle in your body for a more explosive impact. Never hold your breathe. If you need to remind yourself to breath when you're striking make a violent yell every time you strike. HAH!

Try to become more flexible everywhere.

Joining a Muay Thai gym will be awesome, the workouts are going to be hellish but don't quit! You will spar and train hard on a regular basis. You'll learn how to use your martial arts in live situations.

I can't wait to hear more about your training.

Thanks man,

Yeah Im back in Leeds monday and will be going to the Golden team mui tai gym, my legs have never been flexible so I hope they take it easy on me and Dont make mince meat out of me.

Im right handed but my left is effective after I have teed up with my right.

I would most likely miss a left handed punch if it was my first punch.

I had the option to choose boxing, kickboxing, or mui tai, tea kwon do would of been good but i reckon im a little too old for that, I do after all have a dodgy left knee from motorbike crashes I had when I was younger. It grinds in the socket.

Guess its time to toughen up, I wonder if I will ever be able to kick people in the head - it is my life goal.

This is the Gym

http://www.leedsgym.co.uk/classes.php?PHPS...6dd6ad4d896a76f

Thanks man,

Yeah Im back in Leeds monday and will be going to the Golden team mui tai gym, my legs have never been flexible so I hope they take it easy on me and Dont make mince meat out of me.

Im right handed but my left is effective after I have teed up with my right.

I would most likely miss a left handed punch if it was my first punch.

I had the option to choose boxing, kickboxing, or mui tai, tea kwon do would of been good but i reckon im a little too old for that, I do after all have a dodgy left knee from motorbike crashes I had when I was younger. It grinds in the socket.

Guess its time to toughen up, I wonder if I will ever be able to kick people in the head - it is my life goal.

TKD is the most practiced martial art in the world so it will be easy to find someone to train with that's a black belt privately. You for sure picked the toughest one to train in. Kick boxing and boxing is great too but MT is more complete.

Well Im sat around through the week I may as well learn something like this - I mean I do get into a lot of confrontations - and like I say I think people just think Im the right size to wale on.

I have ok stamina I can run two miles - I can do push ups in 20s 30s and My pull ups are good now.

I can lift pretty heavy on a bench I think I can lift my own body weight 8 times. (11stone)

I remember I was at this garden party thing and all the guys were lifting this power weight on the bench then I said can I give it a go? They couldn't believe I lifted it haha

Got to quit smoking.

Its gonna be nice to get focused on a hobby again, especially one that will give me an edge over the countless assholes I encounter in my area.

Yes ryan your tips are more precise and to the point. Since I havent trained or even thought about fighting in so long everything I know (instinct) is relitively hard to explain. I like your short and sweet explination... And Emsley he is quite right. What I was refering to is more of an underlining basis or foundation to consider for what Ryan has said.

Although I have a slight problem with this

Keep you're entire body loose and right before impact tighten up your fist and every muscle in your body for a more explosive impact.

But explaining this... Being loose not only makes your muscles glide easy (not have to fight other muscles) It also helps conserve your overall energy. (tank) What I have an issue with is the explanation of tightening every muscle at impact... Im trying to find another way to explain it but its (in my view) slightly inaccurate. But we both agree that a vocal exertion would help just before impact.

AH Emsley, Im sure you have heard this somewhere. When you strike (say a face) your target isnt the face, but behind it. visualizing that your target is beyond what your going to hit helps with follow through, of course your arm should be lined up properly once contact is made... otherwise you may loose power.

I dont know how long you have till this possible engagement, but you sound like your in good condition. Remember to have a clear mind, as in dont get stuck on anything mentally. If your mind is clear you can anticipate anything. But more accurately when something happens it enters your mind and you act accordingly. When the next thing happens your mind is clear to release and accept the new action. Bla bla bla just remember to be able to adapt.

Usually people say if your right handed have your left forward so your right gets more room to get power. Lee adopted the Right forward when right handed. Using your (lead) hand forward is beneficial but there are pros n cons to this. I switch it up but I generally start with my right forward as it has more strength and accuracy so my jab work is awesome. But I like my left forward too as my overhand right is ridiculous.

You are light, remember that your movement is going to be a very strong factor in your fighting. Even though Ryan and I can fight, and likely Ryan has far superior movement than me, We still dont have the ability to move like you. It takes you far less strength and time. The larger we are the more mass we have... and the higher up our center of balance is.

Im not saying run in circles around an opponent, Im just saying your movement may very well be key to your attacks.

But I guess Im just blabbing on again. It would take me forever to write a book no?

AH Emsley, Im sure you have heard this somewhere. When you strike (say a face) your target isnt the face, but behind it. visualizing that your target is beyond what your going to hit helps with follow through, of course your arm should be lined up properly once contact is made... otherwise you may loose power.

Good reminder there - i broke some wood with a wing chun punch about 6 inch in length and my buddy who was all power was like "How the fuck???"

I was like "That is chinese kung fu!"

In all honesty though If I punched behind my target Id really hurt someone im quite a good brawler - the last guy who fucked with my I nutted him twice and pinned him to a fence with one arm I bet he couldnt beleive a guy my size could that :)

I looked at him and planted one right on his cheek, what an asshole! some kind of skinhead hard man high on drugs...

None of us here like fighting in a primeval "buzz" sense but we all like to know when we are cornered we can strike first and strike hard. Im hoping that learning how to fight effectively will give me supreme confidence and people stop looking to me as an easy target just because of hopefully how i walk and behave will signal that "this guy is not someone i want to try that with"

Im hoping its the start of something for me Im 29 30 next year so I started a little late and might not be as supple as I once was but dam! Hopefully it will be fun!

There are still some guys I see that I just know would kick my ass even if i tried my hardest its like they are just raw power man - and you leave that fight with a trip to the hospital.

I admit it if a guy was gonna fucking dunk me like an apple I would run if i had that choice, i can hot foot it for 2 mile so he will have to be very determined to catch me ;P

If you Dont know when to back down I think it makes you a foolish fighter.

Never underestimate the power of an elbow. Consider the strike point is shorter than an extended arm so you can get a powerful strike, up close! Like coming in to shorten the gap and throw a rising elbow to the chin. Quicker attack and less links in the chain... its good man