The China Opportunity

I dont know you but from what I'm reading you need to dive into this situation and think about it later.

yeah, just move half way around the world with out ever talking to the boss, knowing what is required or even knowing what the company's name is! sounds like a solid plan.... :)

Okay maybe I wrote the words wrong but I meant, Dive in after getting the necessary information and what you will be doing. I would have to be pretty hard pressed on my luck to just pack a small bag and leave the next day across the world to somewhere I know nothing about.

From what I figure here Fatal Rose has also joined this opportunity and seems to be doing pretty well in this situation?? Granted I dont think either one of them have met each other in person but if he can talk to this person online/phone, etc etc. He has at least some sort of validation seeing as though another person has done exactly what he is thinking of doing.

Then again, not every one is built the same and cant just go on a limb like that.

Also Inky that was the dream position for you friend, granted not everyone wants to be on the wrong side of the law

On a side not, is this the said company? I saw this on craigslist and was reminded of this thread

http://cnj.craigslist.org/edu/1835918692.html

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are lots of school teaching English and japanese in China. Everyone want a piece of the actions. Which is why foreigners who can teach English is in demand. Especially when you can speak American slang (somehow they prefer it).

I will still say it is a miss opportunity for Will though :/

Also, Fatal is moving to a new city currently so i doubt he has access to Internet until he settled down. If not, he would have replied here.

Also Inky that was the dream position for you friend, granted not everyone wants to be on the wrong side of the law

it's not as glamorous and sexy as you imagine. especially when you have to deal with a bunch of drugged out skanks and a large Italian guy telling you if you touch the merchandise you'll never learn to play piano. being on the wrong side of the law was the least of the danger. :)

Some nasty people out there guys always keep your guard up!

I have never had many runs ins with bouncers or security guards - but since the last lot grabbed me from behind and forced me out of the a club, Im a little paranoid about any security guard touching me.

Ill move alone but Dont want them touching me unless I have done something really stupid.

fuckers got me , there was three of them. All because they "thought" I had smoked a roll up smoke in their precious toilets. (which i did they just didnt see me doing it)

Anyways, my buddy taught Engrish in North korea he loved it over there, but he had a teaching degree and masters in Engrish.

I am all for this gig. There are obvious reasons to be excited. But it comes down to... not being informed or asked any questions. Ryan just recently got online after his move and sent me something. But I am focusing on the fact that I have only had dialog with Ryan, not his boss. This simple fact has me spooked. Sure it could be nothing... but for me to hop on a plane for China and Ive only really spoken to Ryan about this, surly you all can see why I see red flags.

Inky made a good summarized analogy and added

I don't need any of your personal information for tax purposes or my company records. now get your passport, work visa, and plane ticket! oh a ticket to where? eh, we'll be moving cities alot. just come on down!
I understand the company is new, that could explain his sudden move, but how often would this take place. More aptly put, why exactly did he move... what is actually going on? Hey it could be nothing but this is just ANOTHER thing added to the growing list of uncertainties. I have not been in communication with the head cheese so all these things throw up red flags.

Sure I could be throwing an opportunity out but I have help! They (the company) are ruining this opportunity for me. I cannot understand why I have not been communicated with!!! Where is my preliminary test... the one Ryan has no idea about. Ryans boss said I had to take some sort of test or another and Ryan is clueless. Just an example how Ryans word alone is not enough. The left hand doesnt know what the right is doing. In my imagination, I see a company that is barely holding it together. Sure thats conjecture, but what am I supposed to do or think?

Say I go and I am forced to leave? HOW THE FUCK WOULD I GET BACK?! Im not some kid. I cannot run to Mommy and Daddy "help me help me" 'cause this is a bold move and it is my decision. This is not a whim kind of thing, it is a calculated move. This is one of the bad case scenarios but I know everyone can understand. Basically... I am not some jobber. I require validation AND respect. Ryan is trying best he can I suppose, but the boss needs to communicate with me. Plain and simple.

If I told you, any of you not even on our side of the world and not accustomed to our way of life that I have a great job lined up for you... wouldnt you expect to have some sort of "formal" communication from said company? That is a perfect example... I am to work for a professional company, there needs to be some degree of formality, paperwork something. Stamps/ seals/ dialog/ applications/ something ANYTHING!!! But all I have is Ryan telling me what he is doing.

I want to go. I know I would be a tremendous asset. Id definitely make a name for myself. But I still require facts and dialog.

Now that I am applying for a working permit in China, I can UNDERSTAND the hassle of just getting one. I am wondering if Ryan is getting one bcos it is not easy to get one and you need a university degree or a healthy sponsor for one.

I see Will's point now...

Now that I am applying for a working permit in China, I can UNDERSTAND the hassle of just getting one. I am wondering if Ryan is getting one bcos it is not easy to get one and you need a university degree or a healthy sponsor for one.

I see Will's point now...

See... Im not even sure what you mean. Ryan told me the way to go but what you say here shines light on why. He told me what, but not why exactly.

I sent another message and email to Ryan, I hope I get contacted shortly. Time is running out and shit needs to get rolling.

China... how amazing would that be! Imagine USA. We have everybody from everywhere. I am loosely familiar with most cultures as they are a part of us. But to go to one of the oldest civilizations and immerse myself in pure culture, landscape etc etc etc. Amazing. I want to see so many things I cant even relay how much I want this.

So imagine what it means for me to restrain myself and not just jump into this. I do not believe I am acting irrationally. I am being responsible... lol somewhat. At least about this I am. I have a tendency to get caught up and I do not want to make the same mistake here... in such a life altering way. I must be sure the company is legit, that the country truly want me there and that I will have communication with my collogues. Id hate to be thrown in and be by myself... cause quite frankly that is the impression that Im getting, judging by the fact that I have not been acknowledged by the company/boss. Like I said, its just Ryan communication with me. That'd be fine if he was the head hancho.

To work in China, you need working visa, which they called Z-Working Permit. You will need to do physical examination (full body medical checkup), have your credential (academic background verified) and need a letter of introduction from the company that is hiring you in China. Also, you will need to inform the police at the nearest police station when you reach there to state your whereabouts.

Yeah, it is a very tough process which i am undergoing currently.

To work in China, you need working visa, which they called Z-Working Permit. You will need to do physical examination (full body medical checkup), have your credential (academic background verified) and need a letter of introduction from the company that is hiring you in China. Also, you will need to inform the police at the nearest police station when you reach there to state your whereabouts.

Better than englands current laws - they normally just state they are a terrorist wanting to claim state benefits.

And "woo!" there in.

I was lead to believe something much different. Such as credentials. Like Ryan I have no teaching background, I was told it isnt necessary cause they are so starving for teachers. Ryan makes it seem different than what you say.

Which just adds to my confusion and apprehension. But of course that just comes from ignorance. I do not know what is going on... Ryan is telling me vague things, no actual bottom line facts. And I have no word from the bossman. I knew there is alot more to the full aspects of this... but im running blind.

Quite frankly im beginning to slowly pass my annoyed stage.

I was lead to believe something much different. Such as credentials. Like Ryan I have no teaching background, I was told it isnt necessary cause they are so starving for teachers. Ryan makes it seem different than what you say.

Which just adds to my confusion and apprehension. But of course that just comes from ignorance. I do not know what is going on... Ryan is telling me vague things, no actual bottom line facts. And I have no word from the bossman. I knew there is alot more to the full aspects of this... but im running blind.

Quite frankly im beginning to slowly pass my annoyed stage.

Well, maybe my situation is different. As i am going to work for one of the biggest companies in China. I guess their criteria are more stringent compared to schools that teach English?