New mk game trailer

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Ed Boon needs to step down and let someone with more creativity and artistic vision takeover. That game doesn't look at all like a reboot to me. Mortal Kombat had success because of its environments, mood and fatalities, but if the art direction looks the same as it did from when I played it last, which was like MK3, then somethings wrong.

It's like all the characters share the same base model with different outfits and heads. Where's the variety? Different characters should have different body types and shapes/sizes, aside from the obvious need for new character concepts in terms of designs.

I would make an example of what happened to Team Fortress 2 and how visually different and appealing overall it became when it changed direction from a typical, rigid 3D model FPS to that highly artistic, retro-fitted art direction it went for. To me it became simpler but so much better. MK could use such a makeover and not to look the way TF2 does but something to breath new life to the series.

Christ, even the women look the same. Same re-hashed Kitana bikini ninja design with volumous hair or some such, what is this? A 90's car wash music video? THE 90'S IS OVER ED COME THE FUCK ON.

QFT

Was showing my bro the trailer and mind you, he's a HC fighter but he did have a sick Kabal. He kept saying when they were showing the team mode, "Mvc this, mvc that, he was kinda disappointed at their blatant copy paste of the mvc tag system.

I dont really think its THAT COPY/PASTE, but IMO, nearly every game nowadays should have some way for team player rather than 6 matches with 6 pple and they just duke it out one at a time. ON SF4 I dont feel no team connection, why? cuz nothing has changed, Im still fighting for me, and it just happens that if I win, I benefit my team.

SOme say Mk is copying MVc

SOme say, its just something that makes sense to do.

I say, SF dropped the ball for not putting it in their games.

I heard others say that it was Kizuna Encounter by SNK, and X-Men vs. Street Fighter by CApcom that started tag-team but IMO.. its time that every fighter upgrades to this option.

I'm convinced you've never played any MK game in your life.

I owned MK1 for snes and got kicked out of game stores for beating the employees at MK2 on arcade, after that the titles as we all know were not the cult-hits they used to be and I played them here and there, including the first 3D one on xbox or whatever and from then til now the game looks the same which is another way of saying it needs to look better.

it looks fine to me. a far cry from the old palate swap ninjas of old. Sub Zero, Scorpion and Reptile all look different.

This is a fan service game, so of course it's gonna throw back to the glory days.

it looks fine to me. a far cry from the old palate swap ninjas of old. Sub Zero, Scorpion and Reptile all look different.

This is a fan service game, so of course it's gonna throw back to the glory days.

ALways thought fanservice meant the girl fighters would wear less clothing...how odd.

I realize Reptile looks different, more like a reptile. But he looks dumb in his latest incarnation, thats just my opinion and you can refute it as you prefer. I mean I look at other reptilian 3D fighting game characters like Lizardman in Soul Calibur and the Reptile in this trailer is put to shame in my mind.

Maybe i'm just being picky because I work in a professional art field, but i'm not gonna say otherwise when to me the characters in MK as it is could look a lot better in their design.

You have to remember that Mortal Kombat is an American fighting game franchise, if that makes a difference. Quite frankly, every other popular fighting game is Japan originated.

You seem to have a pretty strong opinion on changing just about everything about Mortal Kombat, I should stop combating with you, right nao.

Not everything. What I want is to maintain the core element design aspects of characters while making them more appealing. I mean take Johnny Cage for example, he's simply shirtless, with tight tron looking spandex pants and sunglasses. I guess thats unique for his character and he owns that "look" but the look itself isn't very good. How could they better it? There are ways to maintain the design but make it more appealing such as designing his pants/boots to look more appealing/sleeker with perhaps more interesting patterns. As for my comments about "better moves", I don't quite mean giving them new moves to change the character's gameplay but to make their existing moves look more flashy/better animated. I don't know if its motion-capture that they're using or animators behind the moves but they look very rigid and stiff, not fluid. Combined with the lacking costumes they've been given I just feel like the game's presentation is at a 6.5 when it could be at a 9.

Look at the sprite transition from SFA to SF3. Character designers for Ryu/Ken have little to work with when their looks can't change dramatically so how do they improve the look of characters like that without changing their core elements? Well besides improving the art for the sprite, they played up on the sprite animations to be a lot more fluid from SFA to SF3. Everything from the move animations to their special moves and more.

I hope this helps give an understanding of where i'm coming from, but I understand if you don't.

Not everything. What I want is to maintain the core element design aspects of characters while making them more appealing. I mean take Johnny Cage for example, he's simply shirtless, with tight tron looking spandex pants and sunglasses. I guess thats unique for his character and he owns that "look" but the look itself isn't very good. How could they better it? There are ways to maintain the design but make it more appealing such as designing his pants/boots to look more appealing/sleeker with perhaps more interesting patterns. As for my comments about "better moves", I don't quite mean giving them new moves to change the character's gameplay but to make their existing moves look more flashy/better animated. I don't know if its motion-capture that they're using or animators behind the moves but they look very rigid and stiff, not fluid. Combined with the lacking costumes they've been given I just feel like the game's presentation is at a 6.5 when it could be at a 9.

How do you feel about the costume designs in Deception, and Deadly Alliance?