AN ALARM CALL TO THE COMUNITY!

Is it a donation "option"? If you don't donate, does it stop you downloading something? If it does, then it's not a donation, you have to pay, which is a bad thing.

But if you can download regardless, then the donation is just to keep the site going, and there is no problem with that.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it a donation "option"? If you don't donate, does it stop you downloading something? If it does, then it's not a donation, you have to pay, which is a bad thing.

But if you can download regardless, then the donation is just to keep the site going, and there is no problem with that.

Exactly,, donations are a good thing if you believe in the cause. Sometimes these guys need to buy new equipment, xbox's, cables, dvd's, etc..... They aren't forcing you to do anything.

Edited by law56kerz

I think they should remove the "pay to access" section.... but there is nothing wrong with having a donate button. If people are fans of your project they will in most cases donate if things like server costs need to be paid. Mostly all private trackers have donate buttons. A lot of emulator coders have donate buttons on their site. Authors of various homebrew games have donate sections.. But they are essentially selling MUGEN builds that are superior to what is available for free so that's wrong.... and probably illegal for several reasons. If they are selling full working builds they are selling not only MUGEN but also Linux which is used to play MUGEN... then not to mention copywritten characters within the games.

But I'm not going to do anything about it lol .... don't want the bad Karma to come back on me.

No its nothing like that, I don't have any problem with the donations to support someone job or site, but these guys make you FIRST "DONATE" FOR A GAME THEN YOU CAN DL, AND IF YOU WANT ANOTHER GAME OR APLICATION GUESS WHAT? YOU MUST "DONATE" AGAIN!!! that's selling games and emus in my dictionary, and the worst part is that they are triyng to sell things THEY DON'T DEVELOP like MK PROJECT 4.5, SF VS MK, FINAL BURN LEGENDS or COIN OPS just to mention some, check this post on their forums:

xmugenfightingxtreme.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=51.0

They write this:

"When you have donated for a game, You get that game!, Other Games or Updates that you want will have to be paid for on a separate game basis on the account of Different Authors Work,Creativity and TIME!

Which Means a Single Donation does not Pay for all Full Game Releases or Updates!"

I don't hold a grudge against them or something like that, but like RX said, jerks like this give the scene a bad image and make everyone think all the scene is just a bunch of game pirated guys, check the word "paid".... you only get paid for selling something don't you? anyway that will be the last I write about this, it's up to you guys if you report the site or don't, just be careful and don't fall for this kind of ripoffs ok? take care friends

Edited by elconejotres

Well now that you clarified that, this is absolutely wrong what they are doing, and the community should do something about it, before the feds do.

I wasn't going to argue a donate button in here after reading the responses after my post, even though I feel that asking for donations for work you've done with what is largely considered illegal content is 100% wrong in my book, regardless of how much time or money you put into it.

I wasn't going to mention that I've had a lot of people tell me that I should put a donate button up for my own work over the last few years and my response has always been that I'm not looking to make any money off of this project. All I wanted from the start was help from other people completing this and the satisfaction of knowing that any other OCDers out there like me could now find better stuff to do with their time than redo all the stuff the team has already put together. I think we accomplished both of those goals brilliantly, and I'm thrilled to see that more people seem to join up all the time to continue the effort after I leave.

I wasn't even going to mention here that my own unhealthy obsession with this has cost me a lot of money for hardware and high speed internet access, and that I've been putting in 40-80 hour unpaid work weeks to wrap it up since I've been laid off.

But....

I feel I have to respond when I hear how their business model/piracy organization operates..... when somebody uses other people's work to demand "donations" and makes money off of anything any of us do here, or especially the original creators of this copyrighted material, it is not only immoral and unarguably criminal, but it is also a terrible reflection on the rest of us as a whole. Stuff like this effects all of us through the public perception of what we do. Anyone who has given of themselves in any way to the retro-gaming scene should be enraged that stuff like this goes on, whether they be paid game programmers or unpaid hobbyists.

If this is truly how they run their operation, then they should be shut down. I'm only hoping that it's done from the inside before the Agency guys get them and then they have one more nail in the coffin for shutting down the emulation and retro-gaming community.

what is wrong with you people...do you have no life at all? you kind of like the rapist and murderers that have issues with the pedo`s in jail...its just plain wierd the moral high ground you guys take and cant see others think your the ones with bad morals.....leave it be....or PM them....there are much much bigger issues in the world and none here are perfect...most take 20 years of peoples work and companies work and want it for free

what is wrong with you people...do you have no life at all? you kind of like the rapist and murderers that have issues with the pedo`s in jail...its just plain wierd the moral high ground you guys take and cant see others think your the ones with bad morals.....leave it be....or PM them....there are much much bigger issues in the world and none here are perfect...most take 20 years of peoples work and companies work and want it for free

First of all thanks all of you who take your time to reply, thanks especially to Rx and my sincere admiration to you dude for never get tainted with donations

CoinOPS Look fella if you wanna start a flaming better search another tread, EVERYBODY'S OPINION is valid and we should show respect for our fellow 1emulation members, I respect your point of view as well as you so I'm going to clarify this: This post was just a warning to show how some jerks gives the scene a bad (very bad) name and reputation and to avoid some noobs searching for emus and apps get a ripoff from this jerks selling other people jobs (included yours BTW), so like I've said before it's up to you, and that will be all for this issue.

P.S.

I HIGHLY RECOMEND YOU READ THEIR FORUMS and see what they say about you and your recent work, I bet you will change your mind inmediately

Edited by elconejotres

Why are some of you being such hypocrites?, whining about a money donation while they sit with dozens/hundreds maybe thousands of roms from games they never paid for, mp3s, programs, whats your answer for that?

(sarcasm alert)I'm sure all of you that use coinops and other emulators, only put the games you currently own or have owned on your xbox/pc/ps3 etc.................If you feel that isn't wrong than your a hypocrite, do what is right, honestly delete every rom/game file, and music files you have on your computer that you didn't pay, and that you have no right to have, that programmers spent hundreds/thousands of hours making. Then delete your account on all emulation sharing forums/websites and never be seen again.

Edited by law56kerz

Why are some of you being such hypocrites?, whining about a money donation while they sit with dozens/hundreds maybe thousands of roms from games they never paid for, mp3s, programs, whats your answer for that?

(sarcasm alert)I'm sure all of you that use coinops and other emulators, only put the games you currently own or have owned on your xbox/pc/ps3 etc.................If you feel that isn't wrong than your a hypocrite, do what is right, honestly delete every rom/game file, and music files you have on your computer that you didn't pay, and that you have no right to have, that programmers spent hundreds/thousands of hours making. Then delete your account on all emulation sharing forums/websites and never be seen again.

Yeah right such lovely speech, like if you don't use emus, there's a big diference between collecting roms and selling other peoples work, thats my answer to you, because that's not a "donation", the donations are free to choose and not mandatory for DL, anyway stop the flaming and the stupid childish ramblings because I'm not going to close the tread and let those jerks catch some people off guard and rip them off, this tread serves like a warning to people like it or not, (sarcasm alert) (retarded proof) if you are fine with these guys trying to sell OTHER PEOPLES WORKS why don't just you go away and start "donating" in their site? BTW genius in the ps3 we only put the games we currently own BECAUSE THE PS3 DON'T PLAY BACKUPS ^_^:) .

Edited by elconejotres

Call it hypocrisy, I call it wariness. Retrogaming is tolerated because it is considered marginal compared to the whole video game market which is huge. It's just amateur vs professional. But don't forget that there are still copyright holders for these games and that they still sell some of these games in other forms and on other platforms. Make it a commercial activity and you'll be certain to quickly see these companies be aware of that phenomenon. Then they might first ask the authorities to close that kind of site and then the purge will begin.

To me that's the main reason why sites and forums like this current have rules about this. To keep it contained, to stay a minimum discrete. Definitely not hypocrite but wise.