TESTING - Trusty 1.4Ghz | 128 RAM

PhilExile

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi on pal games getting 50 to 47 fps on ntsc 60 to 55 and 58 but i wont trust that cause i did not patch my emu with the 1400patch all i care that iam playing my games very smooth with hard filter and soft filter hq2 on 720p lcd what More do you want

new game tested :Dragonheart Fire and Steel (perfect emulation)

and all army men games (perfect)

Edited by carlo3do

Hi Carlo,

I had a chance to play with the PSX emulator last night using some of your settings and I had promising results as well. I only had BIN/CUE games on hand, so I had to use those. I will try to create a few CloneCD images sometime this weekend to try a comparison. It will be interesting to see if there is an improvement.

One game that I tested that I had difficulty with initially was Castlevania Chronicles. With the default settings, the game played at 60 FPS, but the music was pretty slow and off tempo. I tried your settings, but when I turned the CPU interpreter - ON - it actually slowed the framerate to 35-40 FPS. This is an issue for this game because when your character is hit sometimes he disappears instead of 'blinking' because the framerate is unstable. However, with your sound settings, the music was perfect. I decided to switch off the CPU interpreter and found that this allowed the game to run at 60 FPS, while having great music because of the proper sound settings!

I also tried Tony Hawk. You should use core 1.4 for proper textures. Here, when I had the CPU interpreter - ON - it slowed the framerate to 15 FPS and when it was off, it was mostly steady at 31 FPS. However, when you go through an 'effect' such as the puddle on level 1, it dropped to 24 FPS. This said, the music remained steady, which didn't happen before when I was testing this game. At first I though this was pretty crappy, since it wasn't 60 FPS, but then I found this:

http://www.gametour.com/site/review.php/title/274

It states, for the DC mind you: "Naturally, the game looks fantastic on the Dreamcast. The game runs at acceptably fluid 30 frames per second, the character models have been nicely fleshed out...."

That said, I guess this is the proper framerate. :)

All in all, a great first run. Thank you for pointing this out Carlo. Also, you should run the 1.4 ghz patch on all your emulators. I've found that the emulators sometime run at unstable speeds, definitely not better, without it. This is most obvious in CoinOps, probably because of all the different MAME drivers involved.

Lastly, do you know if there is online documentation on what the various settings in the PSX emulator do specifically?

Best Regards

Edited by PhilExile

Another CoinOps Update

Star Blade, a 3-D game from Namco circa 1991 loads with sound and averages 45-60 FPS. Sound echos a bit, but its very playable amazingly. I was genuinely shocked to find this working due to the complexity of the game and hardware. For whatever reason, other Namco21 games do not fare as well.