My 1.4ghz 128mb trusty board

Neo369

Well, its a more constrainted space, so I think blowing down is just keeping the hot air in. I'm doing more test. I'll update in a bit. :P

Idle I'm 128, but thats in a tight entertainment center. I'm going to take it out tonight and remove the back.

Actually, I just did a test and found that having the fan blowing up from the CPU is better for cooling. It could be that since I'm using multiple fans, this just helps the circulation of air.

that could be true. im sure its very specific to your setup. i could give it a try as well. most overclockers recommend blowing air onto the heatsink, so that is what i did. also, almost every cpu cooler does this as well. but ill try it out on my setup. anything to cool down my box sounds good to me. what are your temps at btw? mine are around 120.

do you have the stock case? b/c im using a slim. every detail can change it i guess. keep me updated. im satisfied with 120 idle, but i bet it could be better.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I have an Xport Xpod, which does have cooling issues. Thats why I modded the case. It looks like I move between 128 - 130 F. I think what we should both test is a game that will push the CPU through its paces and really heat it up. Have any ideas?

I'm still messing around with my setup. Maybe I'll loosen the CPU's heatsink, but I haven't noticed any issues with it being tight. I think usually, they are supposed to be as tight as possible.

Also, I'm using 3x Nexus fans, that are rated at 20.2CFM. Now, if I get something like the Vantec Tornado, which is rated at 84 CFM, I bet I will see improvement. The only problem is that I'll hear it too. :D

Talk soon

do you have the stock case? b/c im using a slim. every detail can change it i guess. keep me updated. im satisfied with 120 idle, but i bet it could be better.

No, I have an Xport Xpod, which does have cooling issues. Thats why I modded the case. It looks like I move between 128 - 130 F. I think what we should both test is a game that will push the CPU through its paces and really heat it up. Have any ideas?

I'm still messing around with my setup. Maybe I'll loosen the CPU's heatsink, but I haven't noticed any issues with it being tight. I think usually, they are supposed to be as tight as possible.

Also, I'm using 3x Nexus fans, that are rated at 20.2CFM. Now, if I get something like the Vantec Tornado, which is rated at 84 CFM, I bet I will see improvement. The only problem is that I'll hear it too. :D

Talk soon

ive heard of the xpod and also heard you talking about using it, but where can you get one? pictures? im just curious.

and as far as both testing the same game i agree, but it seems like what would be better would be to both play a similarly encoded (or the same) hidef movie through xbmc as it will use the whole cpu, which will definitely get the temps goin. pm me about what you think.

as far as your heatsink goes, if you dont have problems, i guess just let it be. mine worked fine at first, but gradually, i started having a hard time starting it up so i guess the cpu came out of place over time because i had mine on there so tight? if you have problems though later on, thats my first suggestion on where to look. i always thought it was good to have them on tight as well, but with this heatsink, the cpu is not centered under it, so this is probably the cause of my issue. however, the cpu coming out did not damage anything permanently, so no worries there.

right now, i can hear my fans pretty well since everything is at 100%. when i turn my main case fan down to 60, it gets way quieter, which is nice for movies. the other fans arent loud at all, so i dont mind those. haha if you had two of those tornados, you could probably get temps under 100 if you know where to put them. add a fan controller to turn them down a bit and the noise would be tolerable.

Unfortunately, the Xpod is no longer available. The guy who made them got into real estate or something. I IM'd him a few times asking about it and he said that he sold the designs to some guy that never did anything with it. Oh well.

Good idea on the movie. Have any ideas on which one?

Ya, I'm going to leave the heatsink as-is for now. Maybe something got jostled in your setup, that sometimes happens unintentionally bumping something.

My fans are pretty quiet. I actually looked around and I found a few 30 CFM fans that I'm going to try out in the case, rather than the Nexus fans, which are about 20 CFM. Also, I ordered one of those Tornados for the hell of it. :D My plan is to have it on top of the heatsink blowing down, while the cpu fan on the back of the case (80mm 30 CFM) blows out. The right side fan, next to the PSU will blow out as well and the fan on the left will intake.

By the way, what game emulators have you been playing that previously played poorly on a stock Xbox?

ive heard of the xpod and also heard you talking about using it, but where can you get one? pictures? im just curious.

and as far as both testing the same game i agree, but it seems like what would be better would be to both play a similarly encoded (or the same) hidef movie through xbmc as it will use the whole cpu, which will definitely get the temps goin. pm me about what you think.

as far as your heatsink goes, if you dont have problems, i guess just let it be. mine worked fine at first, but gradually, i started having a hard time starting it up so i guess the cpu came out of place over time because i had mine on there so tight? if you have problems though later on, thats my first suggestion on where to look. i always thought it was good to have them on tight as well, but with this heatsink, the cpu is not centered under it, so this is probably the cause of my issue. however, the cpu coming out did not damage anything permanently, so no worries there.

right now, i can hear my fans pretty well since everything is at 100%. when i turn my main case fan down to 60, it gets way quieter, which is nice for movies. the other fans arent loud at all, so i dont mind those. haha if you had two of those tornados, you could probably get temps under 100 if you know where to put them. add a fan controller to turn them down a bit and the noise would be tolerable.

Edited by PhilExile

By the way, what game emulators have you been playing that previously played poorly on a stock Xbox?

n64 is way better as well as some mame games which were unplayable or laggy before. not sure which does more on those the cpu or ram...but they work great either way. havent done much with ps1 yet, but i heard it was improved too. most stock games load faster, but this is mostly due to running them from my new hdd with an ata100 cable rather than the cpu. xbmc also runs a lot better, which is all cpu i think.

your experiences?

So far I've only tested the two X68000 games that gave me the most problems: Castlevania and Reinforcer. Castlevania now runs full speed with 0 frameskipping at 55.6 FPS. Reinforcer is better too, but 1 frameskipping must be enabled and it runs at approximately 27 FPS. On a stock Xbox, it won't even run smooth with auto frameskipping (the highest) enabled.

Its important to note that both of these games are being run at 1080i. Castlevania's native resolution is 256x256 and Reinforcer's is 512x512. The high resolution of the second game is what causes the need for frameskipping. Since its running at 1080i, I have the screen set to display 1024x1024 pixels. :D

I think my new 2.5" hard drive will be arriving today, so I'll be loading up more emus in the future.

I'm also going to mess with the fan setup again tonight. The more I think about it, the more I believe that the fan blowing down on the CPU didn't perform as well because the fan in back of it was also acting as intake. I think it should have been exhaust as its just keeping the hot air inside. I'm going to play with it....

In any case, the temps are much better. I do think we should do a stress test to see what the heat is under maximum load. A good, 2 hour movie would probably do it. :)

f

n64 is way better as well as some mame games which were unplayable or laggy before. not sure which does more on those the cpu or ram...but they work great either way. havent done much with ps1 yet, but i heard it was improved too. most stock games load faster, but this is mostly due to running them from my new hdd with an ata100 cable rather than the cpu. xbmc also runs a lot better, which is all cpu i think.

your experiences?

Edited by PhilExile

Installed new fans, rated 34 CFM, as well as the new 2.5 500gb SATA HD and I'm now rocking 120 F idle. Guess faster fans was the magic bullet.

Now we need to test out under heavy load.

:D

how loud is that running now?

Hello,

I tried with both patching and not. There doesn't seem to be any difference at least in the ones I've tried so far, X68k, CoinOps, FBL.

I would definitely keep the patch handy just in case.

Thanks for the quick response dude. I just wanted to make sure there weren't downsides to the patch. I'm pretty much making a patched set of emulators and leaving my unpatched ones alone.

Since you've tried both ways, which one are you leaving on the xbox hard drive, the patched or unpatched ones?