SSFIV

DAM!!!!

Had a quick practice with Fei long - then moved on to Ken and I got to "cody" I couldn't get close to him i had to keep away and use fireballs or he whirlwind round me big time it was like I could not block his moves???

Just had 10 minutes in training and a combo like low kick low punch and hayouken wont work for me??

Fingers already hurting should i stick with d pad or go with analogue?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DAM!!!!

Had a quick practice with Fei long - then moved on to Ken and I got to "cody" I couldn't get close to him i had to keep away and use fireballs or he whirlwind round me big time it was like I could not block his moves???

Just had 10 minutes in training and a combo like low kick low punch and hayouken wont work for me??

Fingers already hurting should i stick with d pad or go with analogue?

The reason its not working is you need to learn the input times. Example. Sagat has a crouching m kick to a low fireball then a tiger knee. If I dont do the tiger knee immediately after the fire ball and I mean immediately after... It wont work. They dont have timing demoes like they do in Tekken. Work on the first 2 commands. Once you get the timing for the L punch just after the L kick... then practice the timing for the fireball just after that punch! Might just be a 3rd of a second or maybe an 8th. Thats what I ment by "drills" in an earlier post.

Your fingers hurting is a sign you not hard core lol.

Those little combos pay off? I should think they are pretty satisfying once you can do them Im looking to get used to two or three characters and where I go from there I go... ryu/ken/akuma for basic and maybe guile and cody later... fei long feels weak from range but thats prob cause im just a froob.

Im going back for another game focusing on blocking more this time rather than thinking im super hero psychopath/

Dam i could do kings throw combos in tekkn but a few piddly timed movies are winding me up!!!!

That cody bastard randomly threw me!!

Those stsrting out should work on the trial challenges for whatever respective character they wish to practice with. It'll give you a good sense of how to combo with them.

Remember, only certain characters have "target combos" that act like chain combos. The rest are linking combos and the timing on those are pretty tedious, but once you get the hang of it (which can take a while) it's fun and cool for showing off.

Of course, you should take into consideration that the longer hits connect into a combo, the more damage scaling comes into play. A combo like Rog's J.HK, Cr.LP x2, Cr. LK, Buffalo Headbutt -> Ultra Violent Buffalo does less damage than just doing J.HK, Cr.MP, Buffalo Headbutt -> Ultra Violent Buffalo, because those extra little hits scale the damage down.

Also, a good tip for starting out to those not use to linking combos, in training mode, when you hit the opponent watch their health meter. It flashes with a streak of light that goes from the center of the screen (timer) to their face image. That timer is there to help give you an understanding of how fast the frame animation is for when a hit connects to when the hit animation ends. You're supposed to input your next button press (assuming the animation isn't so slow that it can't connect) right before the flash of light disappears at the end of the character's health meter. I started out by watching that flash of light, but now i'm so used to it I can link combos just purely on reflexive timing. Still, its a good aid for starting out.

And Kro, depending on how adept you are at fighters, it might take a week or two. I got pretty used to it after a week but the first two to three days I was sweating cuz it felt awkward. But it'll go by fast enough since you're concentrating on playing and having fun rather than simply adjusting.

^Dan's actually pretty strong. His startup animations for HP and HK are damn slow in some cases so combo'ing can be tricky, but his hop kicks are good in that they have good timing when blocked that can set-up for counter grab, kyoruken or pokes.

His dashes are rather good too, if used well (and should be used often) it can get confused for the opponent.

I got round E-Honda by keeping the fight on the deck and letting him leap at me.

This game is rigged in single/arcade I have already had 4 DKOs.

I got to the last fight against ken and called it quits after trying umpteen times.

Does no help that the only special I knew was his super fireball.