Zelda 3 Classic - It needs YOUR support!

I don't see the point myself.

In a Zelda Editor with up to date technic? let me guess: you don't like videogames? Great videogames? O.o

the original can't be topped. there is no need for this. it's just gonna be crap made by the same losers who use gamemaker.

Okay, I can see your point, but I think there are a lot great ideas out there and probably someone, who never was interested in shit like gamemaker, will pick up "Zelda 3 Classic" and create a great game.

Who knows? We'll never know, when this project won't go live.

The first impact already happened, read more about it on Benjamin Arnauds website:

You can make glZelda 2 a reality 18 April 2010

Tags: glZelda, Zelda Classic, Zelda 3

Posted by Benjamin Arnaud

Dear Warriors,

Even though we focus on PC Gaming we're not ignoring the great console titles out there. I remember when I received Zelda Link's Awakening for Christmas. I was 12 or something. I spent the whole day playing it ignoring the very rest of my presents (mum please forgive me). I couldn't believe how they shrinked a full Zelda into such a small console. This is possibly my best Gamer Memory. It was a real quest, it was long, deep and engaging (yes yes you could steal items from the vendor's store).

A few of you might know the Zelda Classic project.

Zelda Classic is a tribute to (what we think is) the greatest video game of all time: Nintendo's The Legend of Zelda. It has been developed into an exact replica of the NES version that we all know and love. Beyond that, Zelda Classic allows the development of new quests that can use either the traditional graphics or enhanced graphics, as well as new enemies, items, and challenges.

http://www.zeldaclassic.com/what.php

With Zelda Classic, for the first time you had control over the Hyrule universe and you could shape up little adventures to share with your friends. When typing Zelda Classic on youtube you'll get a few examples of what was possible.

That's the same engine in both videos, as you can see if you take time to change the sprites and finely tune everything you almost get a Zelda 3 like result. The people behind that engine deserves Kudos, congratulations to them.

Five years ago, I put online a tech demo called glZelda. The objective was creating from the ground up a Zelda 3 engine. This SNES game is considered by many as the greatest Zelda of all time. More than forking the engine I wanted to add a few OpenGL touches. That's why I filtered every sprites with the hq3x compression. Inspired from Zelda Four Swords, I added a zooming feature. Last but not least I added the day and night cycle.

At this point I realized that one could make miracles with very simple sprites and a few modern effects. Also, the balance you get between technology and editing possibilities is interesting. You can read my article about Doom on that matter.

Surprisingly a lot of people tried it, a lot of people asked for the code, some people proposed their work. I wasn't ready for all this back then. It was a tech demo.

Many people thought it was what it wasn't: a full Zelda 3 port. glZelda was a tech demo. It’s not intended to make a full game with it. From this perspective the project is finished.

We're five years later and people are still asking news about glZelda. Recently someone named MasterPhW posted about it here.

So here we are folks.

You want a glZelda sequel? More than just a tech engine ? You want a Zelda 3 Classic ?

We can build the technology but we need the community.

It's time to show your support:

- Register the Warrior Labs community.

- Comment this blog post.

- Post your support in the glZelda board.

Zelda Fans, it's time to Unite.

Tell your friends. Spread the news !

More infos:

Support and suggestions

Contribution proposal

Warrior Labs

Twitter

Facebook

Benjamin Arnaud.

Hope to get some more nice response here, aswell.

Edited by MasterPhW