Mac is it worth it?

Yeah, I've been using Chrome on the Mac for a few weeks now. It's a bit heavy on CPU usage, but it's a nice alternative to Firefox. It does look (and work) better than Safari, but to be honest that's not much of a challenge. I've never liked Safari, it always feels slow and clunky.

Regarding the buttons, there is unfortunately no way to move them. What's more annoying though is the maximize button doesn't actually maximize... it tries to fit the window to the contents. Some applications like Firefox will make it behave like it's Windows counterpart and fill the whole desktop, but most do not. I think it's one of Apple's most annoying UI quirks.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mac sux. Message end.

• 1 month later...
A Hackintosh is a nice idea in theory, but the problem is that it can't be used for anything of importance. I've experimented with them and no matter how stable they have appeared over long periods of time, odd glitches and problems that wouldn't be found on a real Mac always cropped up. If you're looking to run OS X, your best bet is to buy a cheap refurbished mini from the Apple store (they go as low as $400 depending on their inventory) or poke around eBay for some early generation Intel macs.

May I just add that Hackintosh only works well on Intel Machine with SSE3 such as Core 2 Duo without a hacked kernel, with older Intel Machine or AMD, then you will need a hacked kernel otherwise it just won't boot up without a special bootloader such as Empire EFI. The CPU problem does extend to virtual machine such as Virtualbox, I got one installed on the AMD Machine and one on the Intel with SSE3, with the Intel machine I was able to get the OS to boot up from Virtualbox in-house EFI, I only had to modify the XML to include the SMC Device Key, I did use Empire EFI just to run the installation disc as Virtualbox would not allow me to install the system, unless I was running it on Mac hardware which I wasn't. As for AMD Machine the OS only boot up with Empire EFI and sometimes doesn't boot up.

• 7 months later...

I got a very good question, how does Apple handle the heating problem of those Intel i7 CPU's within the Mac Mini and the iMac? Is there any over-clocking potentials? I'm aware the Mac Pro does have not have that problem because they use a big case with lower clocked Intel Xeon CPU's but it just too damn expensive!

They handle it with well designed heatpiping, speed throttling and variable speed fans. This is the same thing other manufacturers do to get the i7 into laptops and other small form factor devices. To be honest, it's not much of a challenge to cool. I'm sure the old G5 iMacs were much more difficult to engineer since the processor ran so hot they couldn't even use it in their laptop line.

I'm assuming Apple only uses one cooling solution per model and as such it is probably designed to meet the thermal threshold of the highest CPU option offered in that model. I haven't heard of overclocking on a Mac before though since they use an EFI instead of a conventional BIOS. It may be possible with third-party utilities and if it is, you could probably do some slight overclocking on one of the lower CPU options. I wouldn't try it on the highest CPU they offer in that model though as it would probably exceed the cooler's capabilities.

They handle it with well designed heatpiping, speed throttling and variable speed fans. This is the same thing other manufacturers do to get the i7 into laptops and other small form factor devices. To be honest, it's not much of a challenge to cool. I'm sure the old G5 iMacs were much more difficult to engineer since the processor ran so hot they couldn't even use it in their laptop line.

Those 90nm PowerPC CPU's, that would obviously generate more heat then the i7 45nm & 32nm, but those generate more heat then AMD Phenom II x6 45nm.

I'm assuming Apple only uses one cooling solution per model and as such it is probably designed to meet the thermal threshold of the highest CPU option offered in that model. I haven't heard of overclocking on a Mac before though since they use an EFI instead of a conventional BIOS. It may be possible with third-party utilities and if it is, you could probably do some slight overclocking on one of the lower CPU options. I wouldn't try it on the highest CPU they offer in that model though as it would probably exceed the cooler's capabilities.

I heard most of the third-party utilities were available on windows, is that true? So it theoretically so no over-clocking potential on the highest CPU?

Anyway, it's cost around £1,000 to build a PC that can easily outperforms the Mac Pro's 8 core option in many areas which is exactly £2,859, the examples PC specification are AMD Phenom II x6 1090t, oc to 3.8Ghz, H50 water cooler, 8GB DDR2-800 RAM (Corsair XMS), ATI Radeon HD6970, 2TB Seagate Hard drive and a 1000w cooler master power supply.

There's nothing available for Mac, that doesn't have an equal or better counterpart in either Windows or some flavor of *nix.

Paying for imprisonment in my hardware is not something I care for, nor is using a bastardized dumb dumb OS built upon the foundations of something FAR greater than it.

I like Apple's simplicity in design and usage, but I hate their restrictive nature of it. Worst of all...I hate their rabidly loyal Sheep fanbase.

I have came to conclusion, it not worth it for the UK users at least, the UK price is anything but justified, the UK price tag for the lowest specs iMac is £1,020 (~US$1,637.74), while in the US it's $1,199 (~GB£746.81). To make price comparison fairer, add VAT(20%, Tax) to the US price tag then it's £896.17. Translation cost is not a good excuse.

Terrible practice, Apple not the only one that pulls off that kind of practices, Adobe still does it and Microsoft ceased from doing that, the only reason why MS product are expensive in the UK is because of high tax rates (20%) and that understandable.

As for the Mac Pro, I like the fact that they used passive heatsink for the CPU's and the fact they place it horizontally so it does not cause stress to the board. They sure thought that out well.

As for the US users, I let the US users decide.

Hey ken, the thing with the FreeBSD license is the fact is that there is no requirement of redistributing the source code modified or unmodified and also allows re-licensing unlike the GPL license, at the end of the day there is just no perfect open source license.

Edited by Hexter