No,...no, no?

No, there comes a time in every nerd's life when he or she, himself or herself, breaks his or her own HDD, and can't do anything about it.

My, my.., 2, TB HDD gone, all of that data, those torrents, those animes, television series, full rom sets! Wii ISOs, No!

AHHH!!!

I've never had a hard drive fail, but I have a USB drive plugged in at all times for backup. Every time I download something new I copy it over to the backup drive just in case the worst happens.

I live with the acceptance that at any time I can lose everything. I don't bat an eye at formatting a harddrive or ipod or whatever. I keep backups of music and pictures. everything else is expendable and can be redownloaded.

Use linux, consider photorec-ing whatever you can.

Depending on the type of damage, you could maybe replace some mechanical parts, though it shouldnt be anything more than patchwork to get as much as your data out as you can.

torrents, those animes, television series, full rom sets! Wii ISOs

Let's be real, anything like that isn't critical, especially as its easily 'replacable' (unless watching HD anime was an emergency of course).

Edited by Hard Core Rikki

Here's a specific detail I didn't note. It didn't fail.

I got up, started to walk, knocked it off the desk, kaput.

Plugged it back in, HDD started spinning, I put my hand on the HDD, sounded like a failing car engine.. I felt the heat, turned it off. Looked around on the ground, saw unintelligible bits and pieces, looked at the ceiling in despair.