Replacing the HDD in Xbox Console

vegita8888

I have just resurrected my original Xbox which was soft modded years ago. Mainly I want to use it as a secondary media center on the upstairs TV as well as have some emulators up and running. Now I've found plenty of tutorials about updating to a bigger drive the thing is all the programs are out of date. I have a IDE HDD ready to go but when I try to prepare the drive with Xbox HDD Maker it doesn't work. This program is old. All the tuts talk about copying the C and E drives to a CD, LOL yeah right my drive is full and wouldn't fit on 8 CDs, I'm lucky my motherboard even has IDE anymore. I was hoping someone has an updated way of preparing the drive.

FTP all your files to your PC.

Make sure all the times and dates are correct on your xbox.

Make a back up of your eeprom. Copy to PC.

Check xbox for dash n kernel number. Write these down.

Find and download KingRoach's NDure 3.1 softmod installer. Read its docs.

Install necessary files to PC, build your disc based on Dash and Kernel number.

Pop eeprom in correct folder (i use floppy drive).

Create Linux disc. Power down PC. Attach new HDD. Boot PC.

Follow onscreen instructions to mod your drive. Lock it with Eeprom file.

Power down PC. Attack new modded HDD to xbox and boot.

Set your settings. Install prefered dash. FTP stuff back from PC.

Thanks so much cba.gy. My whole problem was how i had my cd/dvd drive and the HDD connected. After I sorted that part out it was pretty simple. Now I have plenty of space with the new 250GB drive. Thanks again for the quick guide.

Edited by vegita8888

It's on the middle of the page here but you have to click on a bunch of links to open up pop-up ads to get the final download link. This is the only place that I've been able to find it.

http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/modules.php?na...amp;title=Chimp

Tutorial here:

http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/xbox-tutorials-260.html

I'm not sure how it handles driver bigger than 250Gb so you might want to format your F and G drives with xboxpartitioner using 32 clusters.

• 2 weeks later...
I have just resurrected my original Xbox which was soft modded years ago. Mainly I want to use it as a secondary media center on the upstairs TV as well as have some emulators up and running. Now I've found plenty of tutorials about updating to a bigger drive the thing is all the programs are out of date. I have a IDE HDD ready to go but when I try to prepare the drive with Xbox HDD Maker it doesn't work. This program is old. All the tuts talk about copying the C and E drives to a CD, LOL yeah right my drive is full and wouldn't fit on 8 CDs, I'm lucky my motherboard even has IDE anymore. I was hoping someone has an updated way of preparing the drive.

I have had success with using Auto Installer Deluxe (AID) 4.50. It is an automatic installation disc that you can use to install just about every major application out there. There is also a huge section on backing up. AID will assist in both chip and soft mods.

Do you like emulators? Well, AID is chock full of them. There are also some nice tools too such as DVD2Xbox which will copy your DVD movies to the hard drive. From there you can use a media dashboard such as XBMC (also on the AID disc) to make a playlist of movies.

AID also has FTP capabilities and since it is a self booting disc it is great for system recovery as well (since most Xbox dashboards default to reading the DVD FIRST).

Here check it out:

http://www.aideluxe.com/index.php?title=Au...nstaller_Deluxe

Geo

Ended up picking a Modded (Not soft mod) XBOX and used slayer's 2.7 install

Worked fine and even added a bigger hard drive...

What is the biggest recommended hard drive the XBOX can handle? Which works with slayer's 2.7?

The biggest drive you can fit into an xbox, that i know of is a 2TB. That is limited to the BIOS used, X25035

will go to 2TB but i've read that a Cromwell bios can support up to 4TB.

If you are just going to use the Slayers 2.7 disc to set it all up you should just go

with a 250GB or lower. Anything bigger than that you'll have to use a tool called XBpartitioner to reformat the drive

or else you'll get data corruption. The tool is easy enough to use but after your done you'll have to reinstall any

apps or data that was on the partition that your formatted (usually F: or G:).