The State of the Forum

Is it just me, or is 1emu in a pretty sorry state these days? I may have only been here just under a year now, but things seemed a lot more interesting when I joined last year. Right now Gamecop is missing, only a few members post regularly, and in one section in particular, steaming piles of bullshit linger, where trolls reign supreme without consequence.

The section that gets the most action here these days is the Xbox section, which I used to enjoy visiting, but now the only two things that happen there are new members signing up to ask for links, and childish trolling, led by one man (boy) and a small group of ignorant followers. I actually loath going into the Xbox section now because I know that there's bound to be some more bullshit waiting, aimed at either me or someone else. I have to wonder what Gamecop would think if he was here. If I was him I'd have dished out some warns, silences, or bans for some of the shit that's been said there in recent months. As it is though, no mods seem to give a shit, or else they enjoy reading flame after flame.

It's not just the Xbox section that's disappointing. When I joined last year the lounge was a lot more active, and I would enjoy conversations about whatever with the older members. There just doesn't seem to be the same kind of interesting coverstations where everyone chimes in with their opinions. These days I find that it's the SPAM forum that's the most fun to visit.

I don't know, it's just not as fun to visit 1emu anymore. I mean right now I'm in the middle of yet another pointless argument with an illeterate fool who thinks he's king of the forum, and that's just not what coming here should be about. What do people think? What should be done to make 1emu better again?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen this decline since Mid Jan 2008. I joined on my Bithday in 07 it was very active. And even then the Original members claimed it wasnt what it used to be. My reply here is almost automatic, as I have mentioned and remarked on this subject for over 2 years now, and it gets worse and worse. It will have moments of activity, then die out even further.

Gryph is hardly around, Bambi, BK, Solidius, Fumanchu, Cinder, Robert, Mooney etc etc etc dont show up at all or nearly as much. Inky is likely the only guy who keeps up here, followed by Agozer, Weirdy, Emsley, And you. And what Im referring to is the lounge. I can assume Britneys Pairs and IQ and the Xbox emulation Dream team are always updating and posting it there.

Emulation is dead. There is nothing new. Everything has been done or has had a million upgrades. This site is likely visited by guests that linked from google to learn about whats best. And of course the asshats that cant find roms. I mean common! How can someone NOT find roms? Google... then follow links... I have a folder of bookmarks of awesome to good Rom sites. We are plagues with is disease thats rotting the site for the last bit.

I come here for the lounge. I talk about whatever. I used to try and keep active topics... Unexplained happenings, Dreams, etc. Try as I might to keep interesting threads... no one visits anymore.

What can be done? Fuck if I know, I've tried for so long to slow its decline... much less reverse it. It would take constant interesting topics... and other things to entice others to return if even alittle bit... then a snowball effect from there, building interest each time they return to hit the point where its poppin again. But I can only see interesting topics in non emulation forums. What else can we post? How many awesome game threads can we have? FAS is gone, Arcades hasnt been up since I've joined. I don't know if there is anything anyone can do...

I've said this all before multiple times... and nothing changes. If something were to change... It would take more than you and me, it would take everyone. I dont see that happening. All thats left is non emulation discussion... which is not the namesake.

:dead:

Emulation is dead therefore Emulation based forums are dead more so, what we have here is a forum without much to cover, so instead of a hustle and bustle news website, we have an extremely close nit community whom of which focus on a few different popular threads a day.

I'd rather have a forum full of a small amount of mature wise guys than a forum with snot nosed pompous teenagers who don't know any better.

Hey I still contribute here that there. Although lately it has felt pointless for a while now, I haven't stopped visiting this site day in day out for a while now.

Let's all make a gaming subsection :P. Where we all discuss our latest gaming feats to their fullest extents!

I'll start with mine, WoW :).

yep, unless you've got a stake in the retard convention over in the xbox section there really isn't much going on. It's sad but there really isn't anything to be done. unless Gamecop came back and completely changed the site to something relavent. No one cares about emulation anymore. Hell I haven't run a ROM since who knows when. It's just pure habit to come here now.

Where is GC?

MIA. He hasn't been around in ages. Not here, not on AIM, not on MSN, not anywhere. None of the user admins have access to the Admin CP, and GameCop's been meaning to fix ever since the site came back after the hacking incident. That was a long time ago. Supposedly he wanted to add features and fix things before giving us access, but those promises haven't materialized.

Who knows, maybe he got caught up in some serious RL business. That's usually how it goes.

I saw 1emulation evolve, I've even been a moderator here.

I think this place started out as just a basic yahoo group then evolved in to emulforums, I've seen this place shed its skin more times than I can remember.

When I first hit this place up emulation was the buzz - neo-geo games!!! cmon thats just awesome.

Super nintendo whose paying 60 quid a time now???

Rom links were all over the place, before myspace and facebook came along people used forums as a genuine place to share there every day stuff interest hobbies etc.

I even saw the days of XXL-Enigma and the whole "who done it?" escapade with the deletion of posts.

I was 21 when I joined here I am now 29 (and feeling it).

Hell this place even spurned on my old site /neocream.com/neo-cream.com and that went through a lot of stuff and eventually evolved into a maddox style ass kick site. (Quite a good one so I was told)

You should of seen this place when moderators where here more than regular members, you would get moderators deleting other mods posts and "taking charge" that's when I bailed out for a little while and had my moderator stuff taken from me.

Im not saying older members deserve more respect or notice, hell I'm the only guy I know with a warning over my head. :P and that like Iceman said it is because of a troll I even have a warning. (as far as i can tell i got my warning for giving a shit)

i have always found time to link to 1emulation and do my part.

So emulation is dead, and we see a bunch of sites spring up with the same idea of "emulation site glory!"

Mostly what I see now is young men finding a good hobbie and aiming for the tip of the whip!

Fair play to them if they want to spend their money on a server and share their hobbie then who can stop them?

Maybe its not emulation that's dead maybe its the forum that's a dying community/handle?

With every tom dick and harry posting what they ate for breakfast and getting instant gratification on face-book/my-space are they really going to be inclined to search else place to have like minded conversations? Do noobs even know what a forum is?

It's my personal opinion that game-cop wont give this place up or change it (although if he did change it what would happen? and what would he change it to?) gamecops-bar.com ?

The only thing I would like to see is the old dark forum brought back and the FAS brought back in as a LOT of people used to enjoy that, if you care which i think obviously we do or we would not be posting here all we can really do is keep hitting this place up and hope some form of "management" returns and hopefully soon.

Like agozer said he hasn't even got access to the control panel and even if he did what could he do he cant change stuff round without shell access.

It would be healthy for game-cop to get in touch and post up his stuff or news about what he has been up to but as most of us know the Gamecop is a private type of guy while i will happily tell you about my personal life and the drugs i have taken he wont divulge that type of stuff.

There is no fix for a "slow" forum - for some reason people like to be where lots of other people are (Ie arcade at home) to get bitch slapped, if we get a few members a year who are great guys then that's better than a thousand trolls or dicks joining.

Emulation is dead. There is nothing new. Everything has been done or has had a million upgrades. This site is likely visited by guests that linked from google to learn about whats best. And of course the asshats that cant find roms. I mean common! How can someone NOT find roms? Google... then follow links... I have a folder of bookmarks of awesome to good Rom sites. We are plagues with is disease thats rotting the site for the last bit.

I don't think emulation is dead. I have only been following the emulation scene actively for about the last year, but in that time I have seen a lot of impressive developments. Dolphin, SSF, PCSX2 and bsnes are just a few emulators that have made great strides as of late. I think the bigger issue is that interest in emulation is dying.

Retro gaming has always been a large part of emulation, but the problem is that most of today's gamers have never even seen a Super NES or experienced those games of the past. Those that value that past and understand it now have real lives that are putting emulation and gaming on the back burner. Unfortunately as interest dies, development will slowly follow. It will be interesting to see if there is any resurgence of the emulation scene or if it ends here.

Maybe its not emulation that's dead maybe its the forum that's a dying community/handle?

With every tom dick and harry posting what they ate for breakfast and getting instant gratification on face-book/my-space are they really going to be inclined to search else place to have like minded conversations? Do noobs even know what a forum is?

I hate to say it, but I think that's a very good possibility. My adventures on the Internet began over 10 years ago and since then I've seen a lot of things change. When I first started out, chat rooms were the primary form of communication. As time went on, forums eventually displaced them and chat was all but dead. If history is any indication, online communication will continue to evolve and forums too could eventually be left in the dust.

Edited by VT-Vincent

ive been here from the beginning and i have seen the ups and downs of this place. its just how things go emulation isnt popular anymore so we are just stuck with the loyal friendly guys who like to shoot the shit about other stuff

The only thing I would like to see is the old dark forum brought back and the FAS brought back in as a LOT of people used to enjoy that, if you care which i think obviously we do or we would not be posting here all we can really do is keep hitting this place up and hope some form of "management" returns and hopefully soon.

^Agreement. All this light hurts my eyes. I assume it's Gamecop that pays to keep the forum up, what happens if that payment stops?