PS1 on PS3

NeoBomb

Trophies are exclusive to PS3 games. No PS1 offered on PSN have Trophy support; they are exactly the same as their disc-based counterparts.

That sucks.... It kind of proves my theory that Sony just uses one of the community created emulators, as its all open source and nothing on the PS3 sets it apart from what is out there.

The PSX software emulation that Sony uses in the PlayStation 3 is their own doing, part of the PS3 firmware with nothing "community created" in it or open source for that matter. Things may be different once their rumored PS2 emulation gets done, who knows. Developers would have to start modifying the original code in order to get Trophy support for PSX games, and often times you can't just up and add PS3-exclusive code into old PSX code and expect things to pass with flying colors.

Hell, most developers do not have the resources or time to start revamping their decade old PSX titles just for PS3's trophies. Plus, the PSX games sold in the PlayStation Store also work on the PSP, and that thing doesn't have Trophies of any sort. It'd be poor business sense to keep two different version of the same game just because some users want to see Trophies in he old PSX games.

How can you know for sure what code they use to emulate PS1? If their software is closed source nobody will ever see what it is that makes it tick. It could be PCSx, or at least Sony's modified version of it. Only they really know.

How can you know for sure what code they use to emulate PS1? If their software is closed source nobody will ever see what it is that makes it tick. It could be PCSx, or at least Sony's modified version of it. Only they really know.

IIRC, some people at Sony has confirmed that the software emulation they use is their own doing. This was a while ago, so I can't give you any sources.

Anyway, I don't really understand why would one get so riled up over missing trophy support in PSX games. It's a known fact that Sony primarily focuses on the PS3, and they certainly don't start offering extra features in their emulated old games that weren't present in the original releases unless these games are completely redesigned for the PS3.

IIRC, some people at Sony has confirmed that the software emulation they use is their own doing. This was a while ago, so I can't give you any sources.

Anyway, I don't really understand why would one get so riled up over missing trophy support in PSX games. It's a known fact that Sony primarily focuses on the PS3, and they certainly don't start offering extra features in their emulated old games that weren't present in the original releases unless these games are completely redesigned for the PS3.

I'm not riled up, I just think its silly for people to buy games for $6-10 that are 12 years old and have no added features or support. When PC games are that old in a lot of cases they become freeware... Even Rockstar has the original GTA games for free on their site (which is probably why they wont pop up on PSN). I guess it would be too much work for them to add trophy support, but they could at least lower the price on those games by half.... Any good games that people would want to buy are $10, and you get no disk, so if in the future Sony creates the PS4 and decides the old PSN store is no good and they trash it then you are just out the money.

April 1st PlayStation Home is shutting down its servers (Unless that's Sony's idea of an April fools joke), a lot of people spent money on Home content and that's gone...

April 1st PlayStation Home is shutting down its servers (Unless that's Sony's idea of an April fools joke), a lot of people spent money on Home content and that's gone...

You should really take that with a huge grain of salt. Sony has poured a tremendous amount of resources into Home, so they aren't just going to pull the plug all the sudden. The date in itself is suspicious already.

You should really take that with a huge grain of salt. Sony has poured tremendous amount of resources and into Home, so they aren't just going to pull the plug all the sudden. The date in itself is suspicious already.

Yeah, maybe they will make something similar with what they learned from Home.

• 1 month later...

You should really take that with a huge grain of salt. Sony has poured a tremendous amount of resources into Home, so they aren't just going to pull the plug all the sudden. The date in itself is suspicious already.

Hmm, I guess Home didn't close after all. Games these days are allowing you to unlock Home items the further you get in them too. Looks like things are picking up.