Extra Fan Recommendations

Neo369

Hi everybody, I am currently in the process of doing several mods to my XBOX. I am upgrading the RAM and CPU, placing new heatsinks on CPU and GPU, slimming down the box by removing the DVD drive through flashing my TSOP, getting a clear case and clearing my jewel, adding some LED's, putting in a larger HDD, switching the ATA cable to a round ATA 100, adding an MPCX heatsink, etc.

With the new CPU and RAM, not to mention having less space in the case, I expect my XBOX will run quite a bit hotter than before. To combat this, I am planning to add some new fans. I will have one 60mm at the back like normal (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835119021) and am planning to put this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product) on the left side of the case, taking off the clips and just using the three fans. Installation for the fans on the left side of the case will be similar to this. There will be four fans total, so I am wondering, what is the best way to set these up? By this, I mean power-wise and whether to intake or remove air from the case with each.

I was thinking that I would have the three small fans on the left pull air in, and the rear fan would push out the hot air. As far as powering them goes, I planned to use a 3-4 pin connector on the rear fan to power it from the PSU and piggyback with the HDD power. For the side fans I am still undecided, but would it be ok to run them from the motherboard connection? They are 12V, but would the motherboard supply enough power for them to run effectively? One reason I wanted to put those to the motherboard was so that I could turn down the speed when watching movies to cut down on what I expect to be an anything but silent XBOX. Any suggestions for a better way to set these up? This is my first real mod, so I want everything to turn out nice! :( Btw, sorry for the long post.

Edit: Links fixed.

Edited by Neo369

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so sure about taking power from the board but i did notice i occasionally suffered power droops

when i shared the HDD power. This eventually led to a few crashes/lockups. Can't remember if i lost data or suffered

corruption. Something to bear in mind though.

Not so sure about taking power from the board but i did notice i occasionally suffered power droops

when i shared the HDD power. This eventually led to a few crashes/lockups. Can't remember if i lost data or suffered

corruption. Something to bear in mind though.

how many things did you have hooked up to the hdd power? because a case fan takes relatively little power (around 0.1-0.2 A) in comparison to a HDD (around 0.5A). however, i dont know a lot about the current coming from the psu, so what you described seems entirely possible. thanks for the info though. i guess i could use the dvd power too, as i think it is 12V and will be unoccupied if im taking out the drive.

Neo, that is alot of fans to have and it would loud, very loud. I wouldnt use the jumper on the motherboard to power all the fans. You could rig up a fan speed regulator for the side fans but i really dont think you will need them. Here is what i've noticed with slims. I've even tried this on my 1ghz trusty board.

The 60mm fan you listed (1st one) would be enough to take care of everything. What you should do is cut out the back grill on the back of the case so that there is no air flow restriction in front of the fan. That fan is quiet at 20% and kinda loud at 50% but tolerable. This fan has enough brass to pull alot of cold air in from both sides of the xbox cooling everything. Since your doing a slimbox you'll be mounting the HDD on the left side of the case now and it will get plenty of air flow. Since the HDD is on the left side of the case now, if you put fans on that side of the case they will be blowing air on the hard drive and barely any on the motherboard(depending on the fan size). I think it all boils down to what heatsink you'll use for the upgraded cpu and then go from there but speaking from experience with 1ghz, one 60mm fan should work. One other thing i tried was to reverse the rear fan and have it blowing inward, right on the cpu heatsink, but then the HDD and GPU will get hot since it's blowing hot CPU air onto those two components. Just mess with it and see what happens but try out the single fan option first before you make your cuts on the left side of the case.

cheers,

Nextel

Neo, that is alot of fans to have and it would loud, very loud. I wouldnt use the jumper on the motherboard to power all the fans. You could rig up a fan speed regulator for the side fans but i really dont think you will need them. Here is what i've noticed with slims. I've even tried this on my 1ghz trusty board.

The 60mm fan you listed (1st one) would be enough to take care of everything. What you should do is cut out the back grill on the back of the case so that there is no air flow restriction in front of the fan. That fan is quiet at 20% and kinda loud at 50% but tolerable. This fan has enough brass to pull alot of cold air in from both sides of the xbox cooling everything. Since your doing a slimbox you'll be mounting the HDD on the left side of the case now and it will get plenty of air flow. Since the HDD is on the left side of the case now, if you put fans on that side of the case they will be blowing air on the hard drive and barely any on the motherboard(depending on the fan size). I think it all boils down to what heatsink you'll use for the upgraded cpu and then go from there but speaking from experience with 1ghz, one 60mm fan should work. One other thing i tried was to reverse the rear fan and have it blowing inward, right on the cpu heatsink, but then the HDD and GPU will get hot since it's blowing hot CPU air onto those two components. Just mess with it and see what happens but try out the single fan option first before you make your cuts on the left side of the case.

thank you. very good info. i have heard that the 1.4ghz gets hotter than the 1ghz, but by how much idk. i will hold off on purchasing the 40mm fans for now then. after i test my box for a while with just one, i will see how the temps are. then if i need more i will buy more. i thought that since temps in regular xbox's were already high with the 1.4ghz, that with a slimbox they would be really high. hopefully this will not be the case then.

I havent looked into good heat sinks for the 1.4ghz boards but i bet if you can find one with a fan on it you wont have any problems.

I've read all the other posts about that CPU getting hot but it would seem that trusty is using a cheap looking passive sink on his. I would atleast

try to find something copper if I would go passive. I think that having a slim can actually make it run cooler since both heatsinks get alittle more

breathing room but still have plenty of air passing by. But that's on a "regular" slimbox, nothing super slim. Something like this:

This one is just cut along the bottom line where the dvd drive tray would rest.

IMG_0050.jpg

Here is the sink i used on my 1ghz and it idles at 95F and gets up to 125-135 after playing games or emu's for an hour or so.

I hot glued the sink on there so there is not alot of pressure holding it to the cpu but the weight of the sink almost made up for it.

IMG_0900.jpg

Edited by Nextel

Thanks for the pics. That is pretty much the exact height that I am aiming for in my slim, so going by what you say, this should work out well. I see you have an Iceberq on the GPU. How does that work for you? I was thinking about putting one on both GPU and CPU each, but Trusty never responded when I asked him if those would give sufficient cooling.

The iceberq does well with the GPU but does not do too well on the CPU. I dont think it will fit with the 1.4ghz mod.

Make sure you get an Iceberq 4 PRO

do you think it would be really beneficial to put one on the GPU, or did you do yours just to save space? are temps significantly lower than before on the gpu? also, are both heatsinks being powered from the psu cable to the hdd?

Using one on a GPU sink probably wont make a huge difference. I really put it there because it looks cool as shit and it's functional.

I've only done that on one box and the rest of the slims i just left the stock sink on but changed out the grease to Arctic Silver.

I got luck on mine, it was a 1.0 board so it had the second plug for the stock GPU fan anyway. You can power it anyway you want really.