CoinOPS 2 (old dev site)

BritneysPAIRS

Bigby only have arcade games :) so he seems to have "cracked" the locks...thats why BP is so angry :)

Well, maybe the one lock. I think BP was saying there could be other, less obvious ones.

I still don't see the point of "getting around it." The sorting method works great so that if you don't want to select a console game, you don't even have to see it. The sorting engine is one of the best parts of the interface and hasn't been reproduced in any other Xbox frontend that I've seen. Well, actually, FBL had something like it, but it didn't work as well.

I only found that if too much is removed from CoinOPS 2, then it will not let you load a game, instead it will just keep on re-scanning your roms. That second video I made shows you what I kept ;)

You save about 8GB+ by removing the console roms and their videos. Not much, but still a saving for some.

Edited by Bigby

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming those videos are genuine I think I've figured out how you got around the 'locks'. If someone can send me just the CoinOPS emulator files I'll test it myself but I'm not downloading 20Gb of stuff I don't need just to see if I'm right or wrong. :)

Errr...why would someone be angry about someone playing only arcade games?

...or even try to prevent that somehow?

I must have missed something :/

Because there is a conspiracy against BP.....Xtras team, xbox-scene..the whole world are against BP

just kidding :)

Assuming those videos are genuine I think I've figured out how you got around the 'locks'. If someone can send me just the CoinOPS emulator files I'll test it myself but I'm not downloading 20Gb of stuff I don't need just to see if I'm right or wrong. biggrin.gif

You just have to dl the torrent, but only check the files you want , no roms, no vids...

Edited by Sparda

Well, think of it this way. In many ways, BP is like Steve Jobs - but not old and balding. :) Where he is similar is:

1. He has a 'vision' of how things should work

2. He wants to keep the interface simple

3. He wants anyone to be able to pick it up and be able to use it

The reason he put the locks in is because people - not the Xtras Team, as far as I know - made editions that had many, many issues. The build I'm thinking of is the "Raped" edition. BP then gets questions here regarding bugs in these editions, which wastes everyone's time. RX also made an edition, but I don't think Madmab or the Xtras 'Team' had much to do with it. It was mostly RX from what I remember.

Also, I think if you removed a lot of roms - even arcades - it would cause the locks to come down. I could be wrong though. Basically, its a way of keeping one edition out there - without variation - and it then becomes easier to troubleshoot if there is a bug.

This is how I understood it.

Edited by PhilExile

At first I thought the locks were a little silly but now I dont care as I'll always look to have the most complete collection possible. Cant wait for the N64 and PSX videos and roms. Bring it on.

On a side note, is everyone using an xarcade stick or something similar? I wish the I could buy some Xbox pad convertors so I could use a better joypad to enjoy coinops with? Old skool games are ok with an arcade stick and the odd button but I cant play SF2 etc using a stick. I suck at them, plus the Xarcade is a little inaccurate to say the least!

Absolutely awesome job. Haven't updated my CoinOPS build for ages so looking forward to getting another, bigger HDD in to give it a spin. My current 60Gb one just isn't enough especially as I've finally got an HD TV. Can't wait for dealextreme to deliver my SATA>IDE bridge.

Don't know/care about all the history between this and 'other' releases so long as people get to experience quality productions like this. If you don't want consoles, it sounds like you can just choose to hide them. Simples. Just FTP it onto the trusty old 'box and play it. Don't squabble over minor details else peeps will get peeved and simply stop releasing.

Excellent work on the MU upload, too. I'll continue to seed the torrent during the night time, GMT as my ISP relax speeds then.

Well, think of it this way. In many ways, BP is like Steve Jobs - but not old and balding. :) Where he is similar is:

1. He has a 'vision' of how things should work

2. He wants to keep the interface simple

3. He wants anyone to be able to pick it up and be able to use it

The reason he put the locks in is because people - not the Xtras Team, as far as I know - made editions that had many, many issues. The build I'm thinking of is the "Raped" edition. BP then gets questions here regarding bugs in these editions, which wastes everyone's time. RX also made an edition, but I don't think Madmab or the Xtras 'Team' had much to do with it. It was mostly RX from what I remember.

Also, I think if you removed a lot of roms - even arcades - it would cause the locks to come down. I could be wrong though. Basically, its a way of keeping one edition out there - without variation - and it then becomes easier to troubleshoot if there is a bug.

This is how I understood it.

Also for "Xbox Cab Owners" it looks and plays awesome... pick a game, play, return to menu pick another etc... Its looks smooth... Just see Blank's Video of his cab and you will see.

Xtra's Team have done some great work and I have some of there stuff on my xboxes, but for my Cab NOTHING comes close to CoinOPS when vistors come to play...

Everything is just done for you, pick and play !

it sounds like you can just choose to hide them

No, you cant hide them, we asked BP to add an option to hide the console stuff...but he didnt want.

Consoles stuff appear at the bottom, with default settings, so no problem for me, but an "hide console" option is welcome :)

and an option to set the o/c on finalburn core....please consider it BP