• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

need testing of screen ratio stuff

I can have

true aspect ratio stretch to screen

everything stretch to the screen

true pixels

need to know what options people want so I can make it the most simple GUI i can to do what people want....

what do you want aspect ratio wise??

I think that "true A/R stretch to the screen" is the best option.

True pixel might me good (if not perfect) outputting on a real RGB arcade monitor only if output resolution matches true pixels.

But maybe it's impossible on Xbox to output resolutions different from 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i.

What about a "i'm feeling lucky" button/option like Google does? 8)

need testing of screen ratio stuff

I can have

true aspect ratio stretch to screen

everything stretch to the screen

true pixels

need to know what options people want so I can make it the most simple GUI i can to do what people want....

what do you want aspect ratio wise??

ive researched this 8) there is only 2 sizes for PAL NTSC but there is many for HD or monitors...id need to know the exact screen type to do size it to exact size...

also true aspect ratio to the screen can be wrong 8) if it doesnt know the exact screen pixel sizes it can get the ratio slightly off...I could care less myself but without knowing exactly what the reference you cant 100percent say that its correct

cosop is using 4x3 NTSC and that is a true screensize of 720x480 8) he can do the maths he will see im correct 8) anyways ive got an adpatble system of screen control once again...i need to know once again what people want.... I want it simple though

well that has alot of issues

x2 cant be done as alot of games like CPS2 that will go over the edges....ive made it scale x factor as much as it can to not over file the screen automatically and can make that allways on ... add a setting to be automatic on/off or add a scale x factor that you can lock....all of this needs to be discussed GUI wise....there is about 100 different options of this stuff that I know of...for all sorts of things and alsorts of types of monitors....

do I make a complexed crappy as settings page that people will get wrong except the few or limit it donw to a few automatic options...if so what ones

screens arnt 1280x720 and 1960x1080 they can vary in which case I wont exactly line the pixels to what the screen is.....to expalin this if a tv is 1300wide by 800heigh...720p will output 1280wide by 720wide and the monitor will stretch the pixels to fit the screen cause some of that distortion...very small and less if its a true hd screen as pixels are smaller again. But unless I set it to 1300x800 instead of 1280x720 it will have distortion and there will be many many different amount of pixels for LCD/Plasma/Monitor types....

So I need to know do you guys really want this....if so how will I do this for all tv types...

also do people want a close but scaled true aspect ration....this wont need to be one percent correct as anti-alaising will be on this..... and it will never exactly match the screen

unless people are whiling to test this stuff and do it right....I wont be adding it....its not as simple as one thinks unless I just do it like cosop at NTSC TVs only then its easy...as I know exactly the screensize...although he will be unaware of some distortion st present by some of the maths being carried out 640x480 and not 720x480 like the TV will be

ok tell me all the screen res.... all the ways you want it locked.... all the scale factores you want ??? when researched I found about 100 different monitor res and plasma/lcd/led tv resolutions.....

im not going to let the tail wag the dog esp when all people here cant even see the difference really and prefer it full screen....correct aspect ratio is good though 8)

also on an hd tv antialising is more than halved due to alot more pixels to defuse stuff

exact screen size with scaling has issues and I need to know exactly what to support for it and what not to.... its not as simple as

For 480i, 480p, NTSC, PAL: Original pixels X2 and centered

For 720p: Original pixels X3 and centered

ive done this now and it will work on alot of stuff but fail on alot of stuff eg the 720p i only setup for my screen which is 1330x726 8) so it can exactly line up the pixels for my tv

so I need to know setting for GUI

right now you have widescreen correction for vert games rotated...horizontal games... point filtering on/off....we need pixel size exact???....autozoom true pixel size to fill as mucxh as it can???...true aspect enlarged to fit screen?....stretch all to fit screen??

also how would these settings effect each other and what locks out what ... also how would this look in settings and whats the best way to have these options?

I think you should talk to Cospefogo about this issue. He is the man with the needed knowledge...

In my opinion these screensize / aspect ratio settings are just needed for people who disable most video filters to get a 'sharp' picture. If you enable antialiasing, the whole thing is kind of meaningless.

One more thing, you dont have to care about all the different physical screen resolutions out there. You cannot influence the interal scaling of any LCD, Plasma or whatever monitor... concentrate on 480i (cab owners) and 720p video output. Turn off any software filters and play some games, then you will know what Cospefogo is talking about...

Keep on your good work...

screens arnt 1280x720 and 1960x1080 they can vary in which case I wont exactly line the pixels to what the screen is.....to expalin this if a tv is 1300wide by 800heigh...720p will output 1280wide by 720wide and the monitor will stretch the pixels to fit the screen cause some of that distortion...very small and less if its a true hd screen as pixels are smaller again. But unless I set it to 1300x800 instead of 1280x720 it will have distortion and there will be many many different amount of pixels for LCD/Plasma/Monitor types....

True. Many 'HD Ready' TV's actually use 1366x768, but is the difference really noticeable when compared to real 1280x720 TV's (they do exists), if the device itself (Xbox) outputs 1280x720? Slightly "upscaled" yes, but so is 720p stuff when running it on Full HD TV's (@720p mode), and I still can't see the difference. Even when using pixel perfect settings.

I'd say forget all other HD resos except 1280x720. Otherwise it will be a real mess....

CPS games x2 appears cropped on NTSC/PAL screen. Nothing you can do about it.

Edited by FrankMorris