Ripping Game Content

NeoBomb

Hi, I had a question for anyone who knows anything about how exactly Mortal Kombat 2 and 3 were ripped from the Midway Arcade collection. In the root of the folder there is no XBE for MK2 or MK3.... My question is how was this achieved? was it through Hex editing that someone edited an XBE to launch MK2.sr and MK3.sr???

I am asking because I want to know if it is possible to apply the same technique to rip the classic Doom games off of the Doom 3 xbox disk so that they could be launched independently of Doom 3.

let me know if anyone knows anything about this! :P

Edited by NeoBomb

Hi, I had a question for anyone who knows anything about how exactly Mortal Kombat 2 and 3 were ripped from the Midway Arcade collection. In the root of the folder there is no XBE for MK2 or MK3.... My question is how was this achieved? was it through Hex editing that someone edited an XBE to launch MK2.sr and MK3.sr???

I am asking because I want to know if it is possible to apply the same technique to rip the classic Doom games off of the Doom 3 xbox disk so that they could be launched independently of Doom 3.

let me know if anyone knows anything about this! :-)

why dont you just get the doom port for xbox? :thumbsup1:

let me know if anyone knows anything about this! :thumbsup1:

ya sure that there is no default.xbe in the root of mk2 & mk3?

when i got panzer dragoon 1 off of the panzer dragoon orta there was already a default.xbe and this is how most xbox games ran that had demo's and extra games.

actually, besides demos, panzer dragoon was one of only a few that had xbe's for old games included. there are definitely no direct xbe's for mortal kombat (trust me it was the first thing i checked when i got the midway game). but i thought doom did have some xbes (dont hold me to that). only other i know of is house of the dead 3 (has an xbe for hotd2 which must be unlocked otherwise).

why dont you just get the doom port for xbox? :thumbsup1:

Because those ports are not as fluid as the one made by the developers, obviously :P

ya sure that there is no default.xbe in the root of mk2 & mk3?

when i got panzer dragoon 1 off of the panzer dragoon orta there was already a default.xbe and this is how most xbox games ran that had demo's and extra games.

Yeah I am sure there is no XBE for MK2 and 3. For whatever reason Midway didn't include one for those, even though there were some for other games on that disk.

actually, besides demos, panzer dragoon was one of only a few that had xbe's for old games included. there are definitely no direct xbe's for mortal kombat (trust me it was the first thing i checked when i got the midway game). but i thought doom did have some xbes (dont hold me to that). only other i know of is house of the dead 3 (has an xbe for hotd2 which must be unlocked otherwise).

I didn't even know about the panzer dragoon game having one!! Thanks for that info.

Doom does have XBE's called "Doom Classic" but it doesn't launch on its own, I think the reason is that within the Doom 3 XBE you pick a few options for Doom Classic before it launches.... But there has to be someway past this problem right?? Somehow making it start to certain parameters or something>??? idk

Hang on a second, I have the Doom 3 expansion on Xbox, which has the classic ports. Let me take a look. Yep, launching those xbe's directly gives a blank screen. The game must send them a command in order to let them work. Not sure why they'd make it that way. The Street Fighter Anniversary Edition has two different xbes for SF2 and SF3, and you can launch both of them from XBMC no problem. That's why I have SF3 on it's own.

These are the games I know of that have a stand alone xbe:

NARC from the NARC Xbox game

Prince of Persia 1 (From Prince of Persia Sands of Time)

Prince of Persia 2 (From Prince of Persia Sands of Time)

Panzer Dragoon (From Panzer Dragoon Orta)

After Burner 2 and several others (From Shenmue 2)

Mortal Kombat (From Mortal Kombat Deception)

Mortal Kombat 2 (From Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks)

You can get MK3 by taking jarvis.xbe from Midway Arcade Treasures 2. When you start it, there will be a menu where you pick what game. There is no way to separate it as a standalone game.

Because those ports are not as fluid as the one made by the developers, obviously :thumbsup1:

You might want to rethink that. Here's a comparision.

The Doom port from the Xbox game:

The audio seems to be mono. The Xbox version is stereo.

The resolution looks like 320x240. The Xbox version looks like 720x480

The screen doesn't fill the entire TV (at least on mine). The Xbox port fills it perfectly.

I can't tell any difference in the game between the two. The only difference is the Xbox port has better graphics, better sound, and is running at 60 FPS. It's a step back to use the one from the Xbox game for me.

These are the games I know of that have a stand alone xbe:

NARC from the NARC Xbox game

Prince of Persia 1 (From Prince of Persia Sands of Time)

Prince of Persia 2 (From Prince of Persia Sands of Time)

Panzer Dragoon (From Panzer Dragoon Orta)

After Burner 2 and several others (From Shenmue 2)

Mortal Kombat (From Mortal Kombat Deception)

Mortal Kombat 2 (From Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks)

You can get MK3 by taking jarvis.xbe from Midway Arcade Treasures 2. When you start it, there will be a menu where you pick what game. There is no way to separate it as a standalone game.

Thanks for that list!

I had a question. When I run jarvis.xbe, there is a MK1 on the list, but when you click it it gives a dirty disk error. Is MK1 on there somewhere hidden?

Because those ports are not as fluid as the one made by the developers, obviously :thumbsup1:

You might want to rethink that. Here's a comparision.

The Doom port from the Xbox game:

The audio seems to be mono. The Xbox version is stereo.

The resolution looks like 320x240. The Xbox version looks like 720x480

The screen doesn't fill the entire TV (at least on mine). The Xbox port fills it perfectly.

I can't tell any difference in the game between the two. The only difference is the Xbox port has better graphics, better sound, and is running at 60 FPS. It's a step back to use the one from the Xbox game for me.

Maybe I don't have the right Doom port or something?? I am using Doomsday, is that what you are using?

I had a question. When I run jarvis.xbe, there is a MK1 on the list, but when you click it it gives a dirty disk error. Is MK1 on there somewhere hidden?

No. I think they just left that there being sloppy. You were never supposed to see that menu so they probablly didn't care.

Maybe I don't have the right Doom port or something?? I am using Doomsday, is that what you are using?

I am using DoomX 2.2 Beta