CoinOPS Reignite R5: Skin changes.

jukingeo

Hello all,

I am pretty much new to the Xbox modding community, but after hearing about what could be done with the Xbox in regards to emulation, I immediately took to the Xbox as a replacement for a PC in a Mame arcade cabinet.

After doing much research, I settled on CoinOPS Reignite R5 for use as my 'front end'. I have successfully set up CoinOPS on my modded Xbox and it is running fine. However, what I would like to do now is change the skin.

Overall I like the skin layout the way it is, but the colors bother me. I actually prefer the old "Ignite" list screen in which "CoinOPS" was in orange.

What I would also like to do is perhaps change the CoinOPS lettering entirely and perhaps put a custom name such as "Geo-Mame".

I tried to search for some info on changing skins in CoinOPS, but I turned up very little. Moreover, the original CoinOPS thread for Reignite R5 was shut down to new posts. WHY? So that is why I am posting a new post here instead of there.

So any assistance regarding the editing of CoinOPS skins would be appreciated.

Edit: Oh! Any info on creating a vertical screen skin for CoinOPs would be appreciated as well.

Thank You,

Geo

Edited by jukingeo

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the answer you seek, but let me be the first to say I hope you get some positive responses.

The thread you speak of was closed down like a few before it for childish behavior from a lot of people.

Though I'm no good at artwork myself, I understand the ins and outs of the XPORT emulators, but I don't have a clue where to begin with the CoinOPS skin.

don't limit your request just to this forum. go over to xbox-scene forum under emulators too. :clapping:

and just like resx, i only know how to mess with xport gui's.

@Junkingeo

I asked myself the same questions you did. Here is what I found out:

The coloring of the text can be changed by editing the "skin.ini" in the skin directory of CoinOps. Open the file in an editor and things will be almost self explained. The colors are in alpha, red, green, blue format. So white will be 255 255 255 255 and so on...

Changing the romlist frame color is done be editing the "sprites-menu-color.png" with a picture editor of your choice. just change the color to whatever you like and save and overwrite the file...

A custom Coinops logo can be done be editing the "backdrop-list.png" with a picture editor...

A vertical skin is not that easy. I have no clue. Maybe it will be done in an upcoming release. I hope so at least. I wish for that too. :)

You can have a look at my Coinops setup here: http://www.1emulation.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31802

Have fun with your xbox in your cab. I think it was the right choice. :)

skin changing is easy ... I would help but for Combustion the skin will operate alot differenctly and support many more effects and features...I would recommend you post new gui looks as you may get something totally diff looking :) Combustion will have a new front end GUI that will look alot better than any other build.....

I saw theoldones skin and he worked it out....it isnt to hard as he has seen.... for R5 if you have a specific question like how do I change the xxx color or how do I move the xxxx icon I can answer it..otherwise its hard for me to explain everything...

but im looking at new ideas and dreams on a total new GUI as Combustion will mainly be run most emulated popular games in one great looking GUI

@Junkingeo

The coloring of the text can be changed by editing the "skin.ini" in the skin directory of CoinOps. Open the file in an editor and things will be almost self explained. The colors are in alpha, red, green, blue format. So white will be 255 255 255 255 and so on...

Changing the romlist frame color is done be editing the "sprites-menu-color.png" with a picture editor of your choice. just change the color to whatever you like and save and overwrite the file...

A custom Coinops logo can be done be editing the "backdrop-list.png" with a picture editor...

I figured something like that can be done. From the other responses here it seemed like changing the skin in CoinOPS was nearly impossible, or in the very least, very difficult. But as it stands I am fine with the CoinOPS skin, and changing the color is good enough.

However...

A vertical skin is not that easy. I have no clue. Maybe it will be done in an upcoming release. I hope so at least. I wish for that too. :)

This is a big concern of mine. While my first cabinet project is a plan for a horizontal cabinet, I know one day I want to create a vertical cabinet. Especially since I found out how to boot directly into CoinOPS from turning on the Xbox, going right to a vertical layout with an only vertical game setup WOULD be nice indeed.

You can have a look at my Coinops setup here: http://www.1emulation.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31802

Very nice! I see you changed the CoinOPS logo a bit...but equally impressive is that dashboard you are using (the iTunes like icon selection before you clicked into CoinOPS)...what is it?

Have fun with your xbox in your cab. I think it was the right choice. :)

Oh, thusfar it has been great. Just being new to it all I am still working things out and learning the ropes. I originally wanted to use the Xbox with CoinOPS for a Mame cabinet idea, but once I started to play around with XBMC, then a few other applications popped into my head!

skin changing is easy ... I would help but for Combustion the skin will operate alot differenctly and support many more effects and features...I would recommend you post new gui looks as you may get something totally diff looking :) Combustion will have a new front end GUI that will look alot better than any other build.....

Ok, I guess I will just hang on until that version is released.

Thanx

Geo

@Junkingeo

Ok, I tried changing the colors last night as I have found the skin.ini file in CoinOPs and I saw the set of four color numbers you were talking about above. However, without knowing what the value represents in terms of color, I am 'hunting blind'. But just for the record I did change some values but I didn't see any affect. Naturally I made note of the original values and put them back.

Since it seems like a difficult proposition to fully change the skin, I would like to know if I could at least replace this skin with the one used on the earlier versions of CoinOPS. I prefer the orange lettering because my planned cabinet will be of a traditional Williams cabinet which the primary colors used are black, red, and yellow.

BTW, I have noticed your posts in regards to the vertical skin project thread. How is that coming along? While my first project is planned for a horizontal screen, I KNOW I will want to do a vertical project in the future.

Thanx,

Geo

Ok, there are two skin folders with a skin.ini. Make sure you edit the right one. LowDef is for 480i (normal TV)

I admit there are a lot of color settings in the skin.ini. I never looked deep into it, I just changed all colors in one go. (search and replace all)

What color are looking to change exactly? Maybe I can help...

Are you looking for something like this? :-)

p1030249x.jpg

Honestly the default skin is pretty good; I like having the large preview video/snapshot area. The only thing that I don't like is that it stretches the videos and snapshots so that the aspect ratio is a screwed up.

Body.ScrollArea.SingleRow.Detail.Screenshot.Area = screenshot area for horizontal games ... adjust the size to anything you want .... any aspect you want

Body.ScrollArea.SingleRow.Screenshot.Area = screenshot area for vertical games ... adjust the size to anything you want .... any aspect you want