NestopiaX 1.0

nes6502

hey cospefogo its not the game info screens what i mean is the gameplay screens, castlevania is cut off at the top, the pixels are great, just some of the info is cut off on games like castlevania when you are playing it. :)

I noticed that too with the 512x448 values in a few games, the gameplay screen seems a little too high. I just tried some little different values member althena posted on Xbox-Scene, they fixed it for me:

I changed the values for the real NES experience a little, maybe others can have a try and see if they are better for them too. The resolution is untouched but the picture is moved down a little as it was obviously a little too high on my tv, as I said play Castlevania 1 for example and look at the score.

zLeft=2.079998

zRight=-1.699999

zTop=0.240001

zBottom=-0.909999

SoftwareFilter=13

HardwareFilter=0

vsyncEnabled=1

pixelRatio=0

FlickerFilter=0

Soften=1

disableMenuSounds=0

Region=0

UnlimitedSprites=0

EmulationMusicVolume=0

ResetType=1

RewindSound=1

ColorMode=0

PaletteSelected=-1

NTSCResolution=0

NTSCSharpness=0

NTSCColorBleed=0

NTSCArtifacts=0

NTSCFringing=0

the resolution gets messed up with those values look at the pixels on the bricks near the warp pipes on world 1-2

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey cospefogo its not the game info screens what i mean is the gameplay screens, castlevania is cut off at the top, the pixels are great, just some of the info is cut off on games like castlevania when you are playing it. :)

I noticed that too with the 512x448 values in a few games, the gameplay screen seems a little too high. I just tried some little different values member althena posted on Xbox-Scene, they fixed it for me:

I changed the values for the real NES experience a little, maybe others can have a try and see if they are better for them too. The resolution is untouched but the picture is moved down a little as it was obviously a little too high on my tv, as I said play Castlevania 1 for example and look at the score.

zLeft=2.079998

zRight=-1.699999

zTop=0.240001

zBottom=-0.909999

SoftwareFilter=13

HardwareFilter=0

vsyncEnabled=1

pixelRatio=0

FlickerFilter=0

Soften=1

disableMenuSounds=0

Region=0

UnlimitedSprites=0

EmulationMusicVolume=0

ResetType=1

RewindSound=1

ColorMode=0

PaletteSelected=-1

NTSCResolution=0

NTSCSharpness=0

NTSCColorBleed=0

NTSCArtifacts=0

NTSCFringing=0

the resolution gets messed up with those values look at the pixels on the bricks near the warp pipes on world 1-2

You mean the warp zone in Super Mario Bros. 1? I didn't see any differences or any problems when using the values except that the position is a little lower, can you describe the problems a little more?

The values for the resolution (zLeft, zRight) are the same, just the ones for the position are changed, so the resolution shouldn't get messed up.

hey cospefogo its not the game info screens what i mean is the gameplay screens, castlevania is cut off at the top, the pixels are great, just some of the info is cut off on games like castlevania when you are playing it. :clapping:

zLeft=2.079998

zRight=-1.699999

zTop=0.240001

zBottom=-0.909999

SoftwareFilter=13

HardwareFilter=0

vsyncEnabled=1

pixelRatio=0

FlickerFilter=0

Soften=1

disableMenuSounds=0

Region=0

UnlimitedSprites=0

EmulationMusicVolume=0

ResetType=1

RewindSound=1

ColorMode=0

PaletteSelected=-1

NTSCResolution=0

NTSCSharpness=0

NTSCColorBleed=0

NTSCArtifacts=0

NTSCFringing=0

You mean the warp zone in Super Mario Bros. 1? I didn't see any differences or any problems when using the values except that the position is a little lower, can you describe the problems a little more?

The values for the resolution (zLeft, zRight) are the same, just the ones for the position are changed, so the resolution shouldn't get messed up.

theres got to be a way to get the whole screen to fit and see everything and still have correct resolution.

theres got to be a way to get the whole screen to fit and see everything and still have correct resolution.

I also wish there would, but I guess there isn't. Too keep the correct ratio without messing up the real look of the NES pixels you have to multiply (or in this case double) the NES native resolution of 256 by 224 pixels. The settings we use here are 512x448 pixels on 480p, so 32 pixels will always be outside the upper or lower screen. For most games I feel it more annoying when at the top of the screen is something missing (like the score in Castlevania 1), however there might be games where it is different. The good thing is that you can change the settings game by game and simply move the screen with the left analog stick without changing the resolution.

I also wish there would, but I guess there isn't. Too keep the correct ratio without messing up the real look of the NES pixels you have to multiply (or in this case double) the NES native resolution of 256 by 224 pixels. The settings we use here are 512x448 pixels on 480p, so 32 pixels will always be outside the upper or lower screen. For most games I feel it more annoying when at the top of the screen is something missing (like the score in Castlevania 1), however there might be games where it is different. The good thing is that you can change the settings game by game and simply move the screen with the left analog stick without changing the resolution.

Well...

Most of the games have few pixels on top, right, left and bottom that I call "dead zone/dead area" of the screen. This was already in the mind of the programmers to not use areas suitable to TVs overscan (image cropping) when building the games. Those parts of the image most of the time have just colors or edges of the background graphics, no important information was presented there. The developers were aware of the world of the overscan on the televisions.

But, Akumajou Dracula and Akumajou Densetsu (Castlevania 1 and 3) and few others I am sure, break this rule. The programmers presented the word "SCORE" and all the rest of the top panel of the game right on the edge of the Famicom screen. It's obvious that it could present some overscan. And I am sure to say that because I used to collect real videogame gadgets 3~4 years ago and I had a Famicom and a thousand cartridges. And YES - Castlevania 1 and 3 always presented overscan (my reference point was the "SCORE" word on top of the screen) on a real famicom pluged on a real CRT SD-TV.

So, it is matter of centering the best you can the image - of course, under the rule of 512x448 - on your screen.

Unfortunately this is the best we will ever get.

We need to get used to it.

For me, it is perfect.

Also, the different MAME CoinOPS that I did set up are a bless.

You can't imagine how wonderful is to play Contra and Super Contra with pixels 1x1, magically tricked to fit on a horizontal screen. How I did that? Yes, I did crop 30% of the image on the top. But... am I crazy? No. Both games just present score and life information on top. Nothing really useful.

The world belongs to the pixels!

Cheers,

Cospefogo.

FYI....

Games that work on NestopiaX that didn't work on XPORTs that are in my collection:

Contra Fighter

Creatom

Donkey Kong Country IV

Final Combat

Great Wall

Hell Fighter

Jin Gwok Sei Chuen Saang

Magic Jewelry II

Magical Mathematics

Panda Prince

Pipe Mania (Pipes)

Rockball

Street Heroes

Strike Wolf

Tiny Toon Adventures IV

Bird Week

Chess Academy

Druid

Famicom Grand Prix - 3D Hot Rally

Hot Slots

Ninja Jajamaru

Space Hunter

Time Lord

Youkai Club

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I'm trying to play some FDS games but I cant seem to get it working. I added the disksys.rom folder (unzipped) to the bios folder. When I select the game it says not found. Can someone give me some instructions on setting this up? Thanks in advance.

concerning the fds game from the readme....

-FDS game support. Put the FDS BIOS in the bios directory. It must be

named "disksys.rom". It must NOT be zipped.

-The FDS disk side can be set or flipped

you should unzip the file and rename it.

I renamed the folder to "disksys.rom". It had 2 files in it. I added all of this into the bios folder. When I load it still says not able to find. Does this have something to do with the path ini? The emu is located in F:emulators. Thanks.

I renamed the folder to "disksys.rom". It had 2 files in it. I added all of this into the bios folder. When I load it still says not able to find. Does this have something to do with the path ini? The emu is located in F:emulators. Thanks.

There should be no folder named disksys.rom.

The file disksys.rom goes in the bios directory.