Games That Stand Up

NeoBomb

Hi,

I have been recently playing a lot of PS1 games just to see whats out there, as I never had one when they came out. And I have come across a lot of games that MAY have been cool back in the day, but just aren't fun playing them.

So my question is, could anyone recommend some games too check out that you believe have stood up against the tests of time?

Einhänder

Dino Crisis 1-2 (Maybe the sequel more so)

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Legend of Mana

The Misadventures of Tron Bonne

Persona: Revelations, Persona 2: Innocent Sin, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (Yes, there are two different Persona 2 games, with Innocent Sin the one that was never officially localized)

Silent Hill

Tales of Eternia

Vagrant Story

Valkyrie Profile

Star Ocean: The Second Story

Wild ARMs 1-2

Suikoden 1-2

Of course, there are other excellent games in the PSX game catalog as well, but since you asked about the ones that stand the test of time, there you have it. Others will add more games, undoubtedly.

Einhänder

Dino Crisis 1-2 (Maybe the sequel more so)

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Legend of Mana

The Misadventures of Tron Bonne

Persona: Revelations, Persona 2: Innocent Sin, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (Yes, there are two different persona 2 games, with Innocent Sin the one that was never officially localized)

Silent Hill

Tales of Eternia

Vagrant Sory

Valkyrie Profile

Star Ocean: The Second Story

Wild ARMs 1-2

Suikoden 1-2

Of course, there are other excellent games in the PSX game catalog as well, but since you asked about the ones that stand the test of time, there you have it. Others will add more games, undoubtedly.

Thanks! I will look into those games, I had already played Silent Hill and thought it was pretty cool.... Also I thought Resident Evil 2 and 3 were cool too, the pre-rendered backgrounds made them look not so horrible too! lol

Anyone else have recommendations?

I can't think of to many that would not feel really dated. Metal Gear Solid maybe. the first 2 tony hawk games if you like.

Adding some timeless ones.

- Breath of Fire 4

- Final Fantasy Tactics (strategy rpg)

- Final Fantasy 8

- Vandal Hearts 1 & 2 (strategy rpg)

- Gran Turismo 2

- Koudelka (a resident-evil-like from Squaresoft)

- Saga Frontier 2

- Soul Edge (fighting game with bladez)

Edited by Hard Core Rikki

- Koudelka (a resident-evil-like from Squaresoft)

Actually, Koudelka is a precursor to the Shadow Hearts series (some even call it canon), and it's nothing like Resident Evil. Plus, Squaresoft had nothing to do with it, although some of Sacnoth's staff are ex-Squaresoft employees.

Looking at Youtube video of Koudelka, I would agree the parts where you walk around look very Resident Evil, then the fights are RPG style... It looks really good for a PS1 game though, I will for sure check that out.

As well as all others recommended!