What sata to ide converter do you use?

dballs

hey guys. trying to build a 1.5 tb xbox here. this converter didnt work:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

with this hdd that should work (as checked in compatibility list) and is built properly with xboxhdm 1.9:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822152175

what converters have you all found to work?

more info on my problem here:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?act...=0#entry4642973

Figured I would respond here for these readers as well

The adapter looks the same as mine. I have had a few bad come and can tell you this is a possibility. The merchant exchanges no hassle so you can contact them and they will send you another within the week to replace it if it is bad. I have bought 50 or so from them and they exchange with me no problem. free of charge

but isolate the possibilities first.

check your jumper settings on your dvd drive. Those adapters go heavy for primary settings. try cable select and slave settings on the dvd drive.

Some times an 80pin ide cable helps to. Sata is use to pushing data alot faster than ide so this could only help it.

try running with the lid off. sometimes the top messes with the power adapter.

bios. with 1.5 tb drive your going to have to run 5035 or ind bios. These are the only bios that read custom partition schemes. And 1.5tb requires custom partitions. If your xbox is a 1.2v or higher ind will be the choice because it is 256 in size. Only 1.0-1.1 or modchips can run 5035 because it is 512 in size. The xbox changed from a 1mg tsop size chip to a 256 size chip between 1.1 and 1.2

formatting. you have to use xbpartitioner1.1 this is because this is the only partitioning tool that makes 64k clusters.

xbpartitioner1.1 is buggy and will lock up the xbox if it sees a partition bigger than 1tb.

So you need xbpartitioner1.0 to format the partitions first or slayers. It caps at 32k so this is useless but you have to do it so you can read the partitions with xbpartitioner1.1

anyway use xbpartitioner 1.0 or slayers and split evenly in half so you have 2 partitions less than 1tb.

now load up xbpartitioner1.1 because if you were to use what you formatted with 1.0 or slayers you would have data corruption when you passed the 512g limit using 32k.

to conserve space and maximize cluster space adjust one partition to just under 512g and use 32k put the rest of the space on the other partition which should run around 900gigs or so and use 64k.

The larger the cluster space the more space that is wasted. Thats why I suggest not splitting it evenly but using 1 partition under the 512gig limit to conserve a little space.

If you decide not to split as I suggested then you need to still change the sizes of the partitions to some degree when you load up 1.1 this is so you can observe the change in size visually and know that it reformatted with the correct cluster size.

I have had data corruption occur before because I neglected to check this. Some times xbpartitioner will say it formats when it does not. And if this happens it keeps the old cluster sizes and data lose occurs when you pass the 512gig limit.

Changing the size and observing the size change is the only way to prevent this.

This has happened to other people besides me so be very aware of this so you can save yourself the headache.

I beta tested what will be released sooner or later that will be xbpartitioner1.2 where all these problems were fixed. Last BB told me he had been to lazy to upload it to xbin but he may have done it by now so if you see a version 1.2 it should fix these issues and you should be ok to just use it.

This should cover everything if you have any other problems or questions let me know I will try to help you out.

And dashes run faster or load faster if you boot them from c. This can be controlled easy with ind (cfg) or 5035 (ini)

I can also confirm this as working I got it to make a 4tb linux xbox server it boots a little slow on the xbox side but works. Boots perfect in cromwell both drives showed up quick. However this adapter would only be good for a server setup since only 1 hdd can run at a time on the xbox side.and the inputs are set as master and slave so even a switching setup would not work with this adapter. Only the primary can boot from it unless you could rig a sata dvd drive to work with it on the xbox side.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5458

However I ordered it in november and received it 2 weeks ago.

This is the only one I found so far that will boot 2 sata drives and not jack up cromwell. All the other adapters want a primary setting and the xbox sees 2 primary's and quirks out every time.

dont think a softmod will work when you exceed 1tb drives. biggest softmod I ever built was 750gig I think but logic tells me 1tb would be possible I could be wrong. Modchip or tsop flash gives support up to 2tb and cromwell will support up to 4tb

No softmod I know about will read custom partition tables thats why it is mandatory to use either x2 5035 or ind5003 bios on this size drive

m8 will work but it is not as good or configurable as ind or 5035 it will not support 128mgs of ram either.

There is also an X3 bios that works but I am unsure which one.

So to answer your question a softmod is out of the question with 1.5tb or bigger drives you have to have one of the bios I mentioned above.

A 1tb drive might be in the same boat it also might not. I can not verify that. I can verify a 750g I know I have built those softmod. Truth is I only run softmod on 1.6 version xboxes I flash all the others.

xboxhdm maxes out at 32k which 32k would support f&g at <512g each which should make you a 1tb drive.

If someone patched xboxhdm with 64k code it could make a softmod up to 2tb I really dont think the bios will support it though. Xbpartitioner says it won't and it is usually dead accurate. For this reason I think 1tb is the limit on a softmod.

Edited by run088

Figured I would respond here for these readers as well

The adapter looks the same as mine. I have had a few bad come and can tell you this is a possibility. The merchant exchanges no hassle so you can contact them and they will send you another within the week to replace it if it is bad. I have bought 50 or so from them and they exchange with me no problem. free of charge

but isolate the possibilities first.

check your jumper settings on your dvd drive. Those adapters go heavy for primary settings. try cable select and slave settings on the dvd drive.

Some times an 80pin ide cable helps to. Sata is use to pushing data alot faster than ide so this could only help it.

try running with the lid off. sometimes the top messes with the power adapter.

Could you post a diagram of where the jumper pins are on a "DVD drive" for "xbox" ?

You are aware that the lid is part of the shielding ? Your xbox will get very hot quickly, despite software efforts to cool it.

Run it like this and it may burn out in minutes or a few hours.

Didn't bother reading anymore but im sure the rest of the comments are good advice also.

Jumper setting are found on 616t or 616f and they will cause a no boot if the jumpers are not right. I've got 3 of these drives and they all require tweaking the dvd drive jumpers to boot correctly with sata.These drives don't seem to be as picky with the ide drives. Maybe I should have elaborated a little bit more on it when I posted it. I dont have any pics but if someone could not figure this out they don't need to have the xbox apart in the first place or a pc for that matter. They are flirting with disaster.

The top aint going to hurt nothing if it is off. Actually it runs cooler from the air flow. There is more than enough shielding left. Not that the shielding makes a difference because I have ran them with no shielding at all. For months if not years at a time with no issues. Sometimes if you take all the shielding out it will hinder your picture quality because the ground is not so strong but this can be fixed with capacitors and the shielding can be removed completely. Anytime I do a vga mod or custom put video jacks on the back of the xbox I remove all the shielding anyway. If it is not removed the margin of error is to high you will get a short with all the metal around where you are working.

There are plenty of threads on Xbox-scene that are related just to shielding removal if you go there and look in the hardware section. It is pretty cut and dry what you can and can't do related to shielding. Alot of people remove the top shielding anyway. Most of the xboxes you will see in the photo gallery run with no shielding at all. If they have a dvd window on the top than the shield has been removed. If they switched cases the shielding most likely has been removed. If they made it a slim the shielding most likely has been removed. These are some examples of when people remove the shield if you look in the gallery you will most likely find more situations that people find them selves in that they decide it is best to remove the shield.