Gens on Windows Vista?

This is only my second post here and it feels like I should apologise for it, too, 'cos I just know it'll turn out this is a problem with my screen or something rather than the emulator. But hey, any help you guys can give is appreciated (I'm not computer savvy at ALL).

I first downloaded Gens on XP, and it worked perfectly, but I was recently tricked into getting a new laptop with Vista. Don't get me wrong, the transparency effects that take half and hour to load are wonderful, but now Gens displays a mess of purple and green when I load a game. I can make out the graphics; they're just blurred and miscoloured to unplayable levels. I tried downloading the latest version I could find on my Vista laptop, but the problem remained.

Like I say, I'm sure this has something to do with "screen resolution" or whathaveyou, but I don't actually know what that is... :3

I don't think your screen resolution can cause graphical errors like that. More likely a problem with the video settings in the program, or it just plane doesn't like Vista. Have you tried using Kega Fusion? It's another emulator that plays Mega Drive/Mega CD/32X, as well as Master System and Game Gear.

Kega Fusion should offer everything you'll ever need when it comes to Genesis/MegaCD, and Gens doesn't really hold a candle to it. Plus, Gens is old which might explain compatibility issues with Vista. If Kega Fusion gets the same results, then you'd better start looking at your video card drivers.

Wow thanks folks, Kega Fusion runs perfectly!

Just one concern: are my old Gens save states useless now? Or is there some simple way I can modify the filenames or something so they work with Fusion?

Not a big issue or anything, I just wonder. Cheers again!!

EDIT: Figured out how to load my old states, but I can't "quick load / save" them. Little help? Do I have to change the filename or something?

Edited by Gomess

I'm surprised savestates from Gens work in Kega. Anyway, there are 10 save slots for each game in Kega, numbered 0-9. If you had a savestate for every slot for Aladdin for example, you should have files named:

Aladdin.gs0

Aladdin.gs1

Aladdin.gs2

Aladdin.gs3

Aladdin.gs4

Aladdin.gs5

Aladdin.gs6

Aladdin.gs7

Aladdin.gs8

Aladdin.gs9

These files need to be in the folder designated in the set config menu under options. By default it's just the root of your Kega folder. To quick load them you first select a slot either through the File menu, or by pressing F6 and F7. Then to load the selected slot you press F8. To save in the selected slot press F5.

Well, Fusion seems great, and I'm amazed it can run so many different consoles *and* load my old Gens save states, buuuut....

One question.

And it's an easy one.

How the heck do I configure the buttons?? I don't see any joypad option anywhere!

I know, it's probably right under my nose.

EDIT: Found it. =p

Edited by Gomess

I apologise profusely for the double post, I'd delete the previous one if I could work out how, but I figured simply editing that one wouldn't show up as "new" on the board and my question wouldn't be answered! =/ Please advise as to proper procedure if I run into this again.

Anyhow, I now have a reasonable question about Kega Fusion: how can I change the default rom path? Whenever I choose to load a rom, it takes me to my "Kega Fusion folder", which contains separate folders for Mega Drive and Master System / Game Gear. I know it's an incredibly tiny thing, but it'd just speed up my play if choosing "Load Master System Rom" took me straight to my Master System / Game Gear folder.

I managed to alter the paths for the save states so they save to and load from the aforementioned folders, but loading the roms themselves doesn't seem to have the same option. Is this doable...?

Doesn't look like you can do that with Kega. It would be better I agree.