What size HDDs do you guys/gals have?

Emu Newbie

I have installed a 40gb WD in a 1.0 box, and a 300gb WD in a 1.6 box. Partitioned the 300gb with xbpartitioner to have a 278gb F partition with 32K clusters. Hopefully no data loss will happen when I start to fill it up.

Edited by brizad77

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question on formatting. Any help would be appreciated. I recently chipped and upgraded my box to a 500gb hd. I used slayers and it looks like it created C,E, and F partitions. I've already added emu's and lots of games. Now i'm having issues with space. What next? I read that you can format G to use the remaining space. Can I still do this? Will it affect my current loaded hd. This is a real mess. Thanks in advance.

I have a question on formatting. Any help would be appreciated. I recently chipped and upgraded my box to a 500gb hd. I used slayers and it looks like it created C,E, and F partitions. I've already added emu's and lots of games. Now i'm having issues with space. What next? I read that you can format G to use the remaining space. Can I still do this? Will it affect my current loaded hd. This is a real mess. Thanks in advance.

i think you need to flash a different bios for anything over 320gb.cant remember the bios in question but i am pretty sure that is what you need to do.

Fu may have a good point here. If your bios is not one of the latest ones it wont support a big drive like that and your xbox will only show like 137GB of space. Make sure you have the latest bios, I recommend X2_5035. THere are alot of BIOS's on the slayers disc that support the bigger drives. I think X2_4981 does but if you can use the first one i recommended.

When you used Slayers disc to install and format the 500gb it should have made F: the big partition. The problem here is that when you fill that section up with over 256gb of data it will become corrupt and you'll lose everything anyway, the slayer disc does not format anything over 256gb with 32k clusters.. What you should do is back up everything you need to keep or cannot get back, use a program called XBpartitioner (install it in F:/apps) to format sections of your drive. You can set it up to where F: has almost everything or you can make it to where F: and G: share the big chunk of space on the drive. If i were you though i would just format F: with 32k clusters (via XBpartitioner) and you'll be set to go. After you are done formatting that partition everything in F: will be gone. You will have to pop in the Slayers disc again and choose Inst/Uprgrad Apps. Just re-install EVOX on C and all Apps in F:. This does start you over again but atleast it wont piss you off when you lose everything for some unknown reason.

This may not matter but i figured i would mention it since we are in an emulator forum. One small thing to think about is that if you like to play Xmugen or are going to in the future you need to setup the drive so that F: has 127GB and G: has the rest(xmugen would go in F:/Games). Xmugen does not like customized partitions or any partition that is over 256gb. Some people claimed that it works fine but that is the route i had to take to get it working on my 500GB. Just thought i would throw that in there. Good luck.

Edited by Nextel

Fu may have a good point here. If your bios is not one of the latest ones it wont support a big drive like that and your xbox will only show like 137GB of space. Make sure you have the latest bios, I recommend X2_5035. THere are alot of BIOS's on the slayers disc that support the bigger drives. I think X2_4981 does but if you can use the first one i recommended.

When you used Slayers disc to install and format the 500gb it should have made F: the big partition. The problem here is that when you fill that section up with over 256gb of data it will become corrupt and you'll lose everything anyway, the slayer disc does not format anything over 256gb with 32k clusters.. What you should do is back up everything you need to keep or cannot get back, use a program called XBpartitioner (install it in F:/apps) to format sections of your drive. You can set it up to where F: has almost everything or you can make it to where F: and G: share the big chunk of space on the drive. If i were you though i would just format F: with 32k clusters (via XBpartitioner) and you'll be set to go. After you are done formatting that partition everything in F: will be gone. You will have to pop in the Slayers disc again and choose Inst/Uprgrad Apps. Just re-install EVOX on C and all Apps in F:. This does start you over again but atleast it wont piss you off when you lose everything for some unknown reason.

This may not matter but i figured i would mention it since we are in an emulator forum. One small thing to think about is that if you like to play Xmugen or are going to in the future you need to setup the drive so that F: has 127GB and G: has the rest(xmugen would go in F:/Games). Xmugen does not like customized partitions or any partition that is over 256gb. Some people claimed that it works fine but that is the route i had to take to get it working on my 500GB. Just thought i would throw that in there. Good luck.

Thanks for the responses,

I seem to understand that this 500gb drive could now be corrupt. So do I have any other options before I lose everything? Should I try to flash bios first before I use XBpartitioner? I was thinking I should install XBpartitioner to E:apps or use Slayers to try and format G before erasing everything. I just hate to start all over. Btw, I have another chipped box I upgraded for a friend but it has a 320gb in it. It has over 70 games and 6 Emu's all on the F drive. So far it works fine. Do you think I will have issues with this one? Thanks again.

I would flash your BIOS first, only if it's needed though. You could install XBpartitioner on the E: no problem, just make sure you format the F: when your doing this. Here are the steps i would take.

1. Make sure your BIOS is up to date. I think there is an app that you can put on the xbox to find what bios you have currently.

2. Back up anything that you cant put back on the hard drive after your done. I know it's a pain in the ass to start over but it's best to have the peace of mind that your doing all of this right and nothing will mess up in the future.

3. Install XBpartitioner in F: or E:. Try to get a hold of XBpartition 1.1, its the latest and does almost everything for you.

4. You can do this two ways, you can split F and G which most likely will make them both below 256GB (obviously) so there is not data corruption there. Or, you could give a small amout to F: (ex:137GB)and put the rest of the space on G: which will have to be formatted in 32k clusters. XBpartitioner will format everything and do the cluster sizes for you.

5. Once it's done you can reboot the xbox and notice that your listing of APPs in EVOX are now red and not usable. This is when you need to boot up the Slayers disc again. Boot up Slayer's and choose the Inst/Upgrade Apps option and re-install everything the way it was.

6. Your done, start copying your data to the drive, update any apps like XBMC or Avalaunch since the Slayer's version of those apps is very old.

As far as your buddies box goes, he'll probably be ok until he uses 256gb of HDD space on the main partition and then he runs the (most likely) risk of corrupt data.

Good luck man, :(

Nextel

P.S.- almost forgot, dont use the Slayers disc to format anything over 256GB. It formats it 16k clusters instead of 32k clusters which is what you need.

Edited by Nextel

1 xbox with 80 GB for myself and 1 xbox (for my son) that needs a new hdd at the moment.

And with the current price diference between PATA and SATA

and the adapters being dirt cheap and easy to use (and small enough to fit in the box)

I'm tempted to buy an adapter and a large SATA.

I modded quite a few xbox for the kids in the family.

Biggest drive I've used is a 500 GB,

which, when partitioned with xboxhdm and F/G partitions

falls well within the 512 GB limit for each partition.

As 2nd hand games became cheap too, the collection has grown

and since I'm an emufreak and want to infect the kids with it,

1-2 TB doesn't sound super-large anymore.

The only thing that keeps me back is trustworthy user reports

on how to make it work ok (with all apps).

-Does XBpartioner make partitions >512 GB ?

-Does XBMC recognize partitions >512 GB ?

-Can you make F and G both 512 GB ?

-Does that work with all apps (besides mugen) ?

-Is it possible to make more partitions ? (and use them for games/emu roms)

-Does XBpartioner make partitions >512 GB ?-----yes and bigger

-Does XBMC recognize partitions >512 GB ?------yes all day

-Can you make F and G both 512 GB ?-----you could, if you were using a 1TB one of the partitions would be alittle smaller

-Does that work with all apps (besides mugen) ?-----yes, so far Mugen seems to be the only game i've come across that is effected.

-Is it possible to make more partitions ? (and use them for games/emu roms)----dont know about that but you really dont need anymore than F and G

Hope this helps, dont let any of this hold you back. People have been doing 1-2TB's for a while now with great success,

the only thing that acts tweaky is the SATA/IDE adapters. sometimes those give problems but like you said, they are

dirt cheap right now so if you get a bad one, oh well, get another. Check Xbox-scene forums for any feedback on those

adapters. Some of the guys in Buy/Sell/Trade forum there were selling some.

Good luck,

Nextel

Thx for the info. Really helpful to know.

I'll surely go for the 1.5 TB model then.

Maybe even 2 TB if I see a sweet deal.