Which romsets you prefer to use?

Which romsets you prefer to use?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For playing on xbox, RessurectionXtras are definitly the best. I realize that now I'm rebuilding my HD from scratch because it's much easier to organize and then to read. And to me the selection itself suits the needs of both hardcore and casual gamers.

Besides, Tosec roms are the most difficult to sort then Goodset then No-Intro. But I keep them for collection. Especially those from Tosec because of cracking scene releases and alternate versions...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point I'm trying to get across is that different sets suit different users. Some will like attractive boxart and videos, others will prefer more complete and up to date ROMs. But there is no one best set for everyone.

Exactly.

Everyone has different tastes in what they want/like.

Not everyone will be using RessurectionXtras, so those people (myself included) will opt for other methods.

No disrespect to anyone here, just the way things work... :D

No need for anyone to get hot under the collar.

The point I'm trying to get across is that different sets suit different users. Some will like attractive boxart and videos, others will prefer more complete and up to date ROMs. But there is no one best set for everyone.

ressurectionx appears to be of the opinion that the Xtras set is the undisputed best for all users, which simply is not true. That's not to put down any of the work that's gone into it, it's just a statement of fact.

I have to agree with you here +T+. I use No-Intro sets as well, primarily for the bolded reason. So far I can't see that changing either. My vote was somehow recorded for Goodset, but it's really not a big deal. :D

We all have our preferences and I don't think there's any disrespect to anyone based on that. The Xtras project will still be appreciated by many and credit to everyone who worked on it.

I just don't even see the point of having the games if you have no visual representation for them, especially when all the work is being done for you.

What a boring XBox/Cab/PC setup you all must have... :yawntired:

Who said anything about not having a visual representation?

A screenshot or video preview is good enough for me. :D

That combined with an ability to produce my own skins if needed.

I just don't even see the point of having the games if you have no visual representation for them, especially when all the work is being done for you.

What a boring XBox/Cab/PC setup you all must have... :yawntired:

A screenshot or video preview is good enough for me. :D

True, but I spent a lot of time making everything match so other people wouldn't have to. Originally I started out and thought that all I was going to do was have a single title shot of each game to scroll through. I made the title shots myself, as they were my original way of testing games and marking them before I was doing any spreadsheets. That's how I started the project about 4 years ago. (And that alone took a ton of time... Also consider that any romsets out there were 4 years less advanced as they are now too, and you can imagine how difficult just this alone was).

From there it kinda morphed into something that's completely insane. I'm hoping that when I release these and people can see them for themselves all this work won't seem as crazy as at was when I was doing it.

I won't argue anymore about it. There's really no point, and it's not fair for me to judge other people's views on this when my stuff isn't publicly available and setup so it's easy to use yet. If, when that time comes, people are still under the impression that using my sets isn't the best way to go without having even tried them out, then I will just chalk it up to close-mindedness on their part.

BTW... by this time tomorrow there will be over 600 commercials added to the Xtras in XMV format. We've also got a scraper for YouTube now so if people find commercials that I don't have we can get them easily and convert them. What a trip watching those old Atari commercials in the XPORT: Madmab Edition Media Browser. I've had tons of commercials for going on 3 years now and I wondered if I'd ever do anything with them.

We have several people collecting GameFaqs for the Media Browser and hope to have it setup to pull the right one automatically based off the rom filename and the Faq filename. They look great in the TXT file viewer now that madmab put in the fixed-width font.

Also, I'm going to start working on the manuals again later this week. I hope to have a huge collection available in JPG format so they are viewable in the emus.

A screenshot or video preview is good enough for me. :yawntired:

Agree with you there. The No-Intro Screenshot Archive provides screens and titles for every single ROM in the DATs along with tools that make updating a breeze. If I had some sort of cab setup perhaps I would want more than this but combined with a great looking skin it's more than good enough.

I won't argue anymore about it. There's really no point, and it's not fair for me to judge other people's views on this when my stuff isn't publicly available and setup so it's easy to use yet. If, when that time comes, people are still under the impression that using my sets isn't the best way to go without having even tried them out, then I will just chalk it up to close-mindedness on their part.

You are taking this all too personally. This is a thread to discuss which ROMsets we like to use and why, it's inevitable that there be some comparison between sets. Close-mindedness is not being open to other people's preferences and priorities. There are many threads full of praise for what you've done by people that will use it. But I appreciated the chance here to share my personal opinion as to why No-Intro sets are the best for me.

Cool.

I'm only posting here in this thread about them because my sets were considered for the poll. I've only got about 8 backers right now. Not the established thousands that use the no-intro sets already. :yawntired:

You really don't need an arcade cabinet to put these on there though.

One thing I don't think you're considering, and I understand it's because it's something we're just putting together now, is that you won't be able to have the gamefaq for a game pop up automatically when Madmab perfects the media browser. We've got a few guys collecting thousands of them now. Who wouldn't want to be able to do that for a game instead of logging on to the PC? Maybe you're not into Faqs, but I use them when I try to get everything on RPGs and stuff.

We also plan on having the ability to automatically bring up other Xtras with the Media Browser like Game Manuals, Commercials, and Game Reviews. This will all be dependent on the roms matching the file names.