Which romsets you prefer to use?

Which romsets you prefer to use?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For now....

Well I would guess that having every single game from every region covering every system and updating them regularly as new dumps and information become available is somewhat beyond the scope of your project. So I daresay No-Intro will be remain the collector's choice for some time to come. :)

For casual gamers though, I'm sure your sets are the ones to go for.

Wow... that's pretty insulting.

I've taken out all of the crap. I've tested 15,000 roms and had the videos created for every one. I've made synopsis entries for every one, and many of them contain several pages of information, cheats, controls and trivia. I've collected boxart, title shots, action shots for every one and many carts as well. Games that there was no boxart for or it couldn't be found have beautifully made generic boxarts from Gilles that look like the standard boxes for the systems. We're now in the process of collecting game maps and game faqs for these games that will be viewable in the Madmab Edition emu. I also have many game manuals converted from PNG to JPG for viewing within the emulator. .CUT files will be provided for all games too so they can be launched straight from XBMC if you desire. All files related to a rom match the romname perfectly so they will work very well together with the finished product.

If 15,000 unique games that are tested as working with no trainer screens and all these other things I'm providing aren't enough for you, than be my guest and enjoy your messy looking romsets with 27 versions of Super Mario Bros.

People really need to stop talking about the Xtras when they don't know what they're talking about.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing thats always puzzled me ResX.

I don't use cut files so i need educating.

I under the understanding that cut files launch roms directly ?

If so doesn't this bypass all the features of the emulator including the extra's.

Therefore if i wanted to have 2 or 3 emulators, with full rom sets, using cut files

wouldn't that mean i would have 2 or 3 thousand (or more) of these cut files in one directory ?

If any of the above is correct doesn't it render both Madmab's and your work a wasted exercise

in a round about way ? Im puzzled why your so keen on the idea.

For now....

Well I would guess that having every single game from every region covering every system and updating them regularly as new dumps and information become available is somewhat beyond the scope of your project. So I daresay No-Intro will be remain the collector's choice for some time to come. :)

For casual gamers though, I'm sure your sets are the ones to go for.

If 15,000 unique games that are tested as working with no trainer screens and all these other things I'm providing aren't enough for you, than be my guest and enjoy your messy looking romsets with 27 versions of Super Mario Bros.

Perhaps you're confusing No-Intro sets with Goodtools sets since those are the ones with 20 different versions of each game. No-Intro has no crap, only has one dump for each verified cartridge in the same way that MAME has a romset for each genuine arcade board. True that does usually give you more than one rom for each game but one person's 'messy' is another's 'complete'. :)

There's no need to feel insulted. You can't expect that your project is going to fit everyone's emulation needs. I think it's great what you've done and will no doubt appeal to a lot of gamers. But for collectors who value complete and up-to-date roms above all that other stuff, No-Intro is the only way to go.

No-Intro ROCKS when compared to Goodsets. No-Intro is the only set which uses 100% accurate dumbs.

There is 2 different versions of Super Mario Bros. in No-Intro set:

Super Mario Bros. (Europe) (Rev A).nes

Super Mario Bros. (World).nes

There is 897 different versions of Super Mario Bros. in GoodNES.

2600 Bros (SMB1 Hack) [o1].nes

2600 Bros (SMB1 Hack).nes

Acid Bros (SMB1 Hack).nes

AckII Art Mario by SnowArrow (SMB1 Hack).nes

[...]

Perhaps you're confusing No-Intro sets with Goodtools sets since those are the ones with 20 different versions of each game. No-Intro has no crap, only has one dump for each verified cartridge in the same way that MAME has a romset for each genuine arcade board. True that does usually give you more than one rom for each game but one person's 'messy' is another's 'complete'. :P

There's no need to feel insulted. You can't expect that your project is going to fit everyone's emulation needs. I think it's great what you've done and will no doubt appeal to a lot of gamers. But for collectors who value complete and up-to-date roms above all that other stuff, No-Intro is the only way to go.

I respectfully disagree. That is why I've made my own sets. If there is any reason to have a second version of a rom, for example the higher audio quality in the Japan roms, I have included them and added the alternate information to the synopsis. I am 100% confident that my romset is not only complete, but it is more concise than No-Intro.

Also, if you're using No-Intro, you would have to convert everything to my names if you want to use the videos, Complete boxart/title/action packs with many carts, and .CUT files for command line launching among other things. Also, when madmab gets the media player to full functionality, you will need to do this for the added functionality of automatically bringing up the commercial, game review, manual and strategy guide for each game.

No-Intro is the best place to grab the roms to make an Rx set, but you'll want to convert the names when these are uploaded.

P.S. Obviously it's a small test group here, but my Xtras are only 1 behind no-intro. Not too shabby considering my romsets have never been publicly available yet and no-intro has been established for years.

Edited by ressurectionx

I respectfully disagree. That is why I've made my own sets. If there is any reason to have a second version of a rom, for example the higher audio quality in the Japan roms, I have included them and added the alternate information to the synopsis. I am 100% confident that my romset is not only complete, but it is more concise than No-Intro.

You are aware that, in addition to the main DATs for each system, No-Intro also provides a parent-clone DAT. If you take only the parent sets from this DAT you would have only one ROMset for each game with no regional or other duplicates. Takes about 10 seconds to turn a full No-Intro set into a 'concise' 1-Game-1-ROM set. :P

You are aware that, in addition to the main DATs for each system, No-Intro also provides a parent-clone DAT. If you take only the parent sets from this DAT you would have only one ROMset for each game with no regional or other duplicates. Takes about 10 seconds to turn a full No-Intro set into a 'concise' 1-Game-1-ROM set. :P

And it takes about 4 years to combine everything with beautiful touched up boxart sets, generic boxarts, synopsis, commericals, manuals, video previews for every game (including many hacks/translations/prototypes/unlicensed/homebrew...... 1,733 for the NES alone and counting), and all the other Xtras. Not to mention testing the games on the XBox to make sure they work and replacing bad roms with good ones. Plus you have to make it XFAT compatible.

No-Intro = No-Xtras. It's a barebones romset that will not work with my project unless you rename the roms.

I don't really see the argument here...

Anyone can just take their sets and simply rename them to the Xtras... or they can rename the Xtras to their sets...

:naughty: If they have such a preference. (I don't know who out there(?) that is so picky about having all the dumps (or multiple good ones) and "doesn't" appreciate "Xtras")

It will "still" be more convenient than doing all of this yourself.

I know for myself,

prior to the Xtras and helping with them, I did a crap load of renaming and artwork matching all by myself (for myself). (forget that... :D ) I am sure many others out there tried the same thing.

Now, no one ever has to! It's done!

and, their most complete and efficient way/sets, to date (by far!)

Edited by Mega Man (?)

The point I'm trying to get across is that different sets suit different users. Some will like attractive boxart and videos, others will prefer more complete and up to date ROMs. But there is no one best set for everyone.

ressurectionx appears to be of the opinion that the Xtras set is the undisputed best for all users, which simply is not true. That's not to put down any of the work that's gone into it, it's just a statement of fact.

The point I'm trying to get across is that different sets suit different users. Some will like attractive boxart and videos, others will prefer more complete and up to date ROMs. But there is no one best set for everyone.

In that case,

yes, this is very true.

everyone will always have their own opinions and preferences. :D (and should)

And, like I said, if they want both... they can always name their sets to match the Xtras. :naughty: