Anybody own an obese cat?

veristic

I recently adopted an overweight/obese Russian Blue (what i'm told) from the Petco I shop at, and i'm wondering if obese cats ever really do lose their weight and return to looking slim.

Have any of you had to deal with this problem before? And what protocols did you follow (change in diet, exercise, etc.) to handle the situation?

I love giant fat cats. I do not however like cat fur all over everything. it's a conundrum.

LOL an obese cat i thought you were joking.

Good look with getting a russian blue to lose weight they are dumb as a brick, my sister had one and this was its life:

I run like a girl.

I cant climb very good.

The first time you let me outside I ran straight over the road and got ran over and broke my leg.

If you let me out I wont wait till you open the door I will meow like a retard at 6 in the morning untill you wake up and let me in.

On climbing on the couch I got ONE nail stuck in a bit of cloth but instead of trying to get free my self I will meow like a retard until you unplug my claw.

She went to Australia for six month on returning the cat had caught its own collar on a clothes peg behind the back of a door and hung its self by accident. (she left it with a friend)

Reminds me the time she had this little poodle she was looking after it had gingivitis and he stank and if you looked at him funny would just be like "GHargggg ghARGGHHH!!!!!"

Guess who had to walk it? Me, a little shitty poodle with an attitude problem.

It once pissed me off so i put my shoe under its belly and flicked it it flipped and rolled. lol

My cat, Shadow, was extremely obese. He was actually homeless for a year before I took him in and strangely he never lost any weight during that time. When I had him, he gained slightly more weight and eventually came down with diabetes. I had to have him put to sleep a few months ago. :(

^That's unfortunate. So the cat was already obese when you picked'em up? Did you change his food to special diet formula or anything?

He was obese when I picked him up and I did actually have him on special food. Unfortunately, he just couldn't seem to loose it... even when he went outside to play, he would just walk over to the neighbor's porch and sleep for 3-4 hours. I actually remember the first day I had him, he chased up the stairs after me and was wheezing when he reached the top.

Well I had to return the cat saturday. I got her at the local petco I shop at and I became friends with the adoption ladies (the lady let me take her home for free because I help them pack up and move the crates etc they're like 50-70 yrs old.) But almost immediately after I brought Sammy back, this woman and her friend like zero'ed in on Sammy and after telling her about the situation, she seemed set on adopting her (with a little push from her friend). I got there at 2pm, the adoptions go from 1 to 4pm. I was just thinking how if I didn't show up that day or came later this might not have happened. What a real stroke of luck... she was the only cat that got adopted that day and it happened right when I had to return her feeling terrible thinking she would have to go back to the boarding house.

It's like it was fate.