Coinops Discussion

BritneysPAIRS

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So after all this, your only selling point for doing it is your sorting options? What a lot of grief for something so trivial. Also why answer me in an edit to your above post then quote it? Nevermind. The terrible shame is that in years to come, new users will come along and think that you're actually responsible for making all the different console emulators on the Xbox, when in reality, all you've really made is a frontend.

The Xbox is already become a niche emulation platform sorry to say. I don't think there will be this flood of new users in the future. Maybe a few here and there.

Everyone knows where these apps came from, they are ports from the PC. Personally, I don't even know who the original or current developers of MAME are. I don't think they've ever been credited in any MAME build on the Xbox that I've seen. Does DOA credit himself within the emu? I can't remember seeing it. I could be wrong though.

I guess I don't see what the big deal is to have CoinOps launch a console emulator either. Its not much different in functionality than PC frontends and the people that develop those don't get crap for it. Personally, I don't need or want this added functionality, but I'm guessing some people would.

DOA, did you get a chance to read my post regarding the custom resolutions?

yes its not on the list of stuff to do at present.... but it would be easy to setup a use orig screen pixels thing but id have to included a few things that are ignored on coso thread at present....im whiling to discuss a feature and how to put it in but it must be well thought out and automatic...

Hi DOA,

Yes, I agree. I'm not a coder myself, so I'm not 100% sure how to implement it. It would seem to me that you could either use the hex-edit option that he used and have 10 different XBEs with one "master" XBE that launches whichever one for the specific rom being selected. Or you could write some sort of CFG or INI file for each game telling it to set itself to a specific resolution.

Again, I'm not sure how difficult any of this is.

The MAWs database would help sorting out which roms are which.

http://maws.mameworld.info/maws/

yes its not on the list of stuff to do at present.... but it would be easy to setup a use orig screen pixels thing but id have to included a few things that are ignored on coso thread at present....im whiling to discuss a feature and how to put it in but it must be well thought out and automatic...

if I was to put in a feature id go what is the screen size

pal...ntsc or 720p

what is the res of the game

do the exact pixels of the game and lock filter etc to what evr they need to be.... and centre it as the emu knows the exact pixels it is

why would I hex edit when coinops knows the res of each game and knows the res of the screen...this is all thats need for it to calculate the exact screensize

All this talk of moving the 'scene' forward and by your own addition, you've made no improvements to the emulators you're now including in 'your' program.

Just curious, Iceman, what app have you provided the scene with? Also, if I recall, no version of MAME for the Xbox had HD support before DOA implemented. Just saying.

You were of course given permission by all the authors weren't you?

Did Xport get permission from the authors he ported his emulators from? Did the people who ported MAMEox?

the answer is no its open source....I have got permission on a bit now but xport handed over the source for people to use and madmab or someone uses it with no issues and doesnt release sources....they support him :D anyways no offense but I wont be reading or responding to any of those threads now....im a bit busier at present so I dont have time

You guys can talk with them :)

PS

720p not to mention....

autorotate

auto and semiautofire

random game/random fav selector or launcher

video support

background music support

the list is endless really...its just hard to tell as its so intergrated and seemless

by the way to get all 4000 games working in hd and sd without locking up using vm wasnt as easy as one says...also to make everything atuomatic for 720 with no user input it knows what to do with skins...screensizes...virtual mem etc was kind of a step forward for the xbox

Like I said DOA, I'm not a programmer. All I can do it hexedit! :D

Everything you are saying sound good to me. Primarily, I noticed distortion in games like Bionic Commando on my video monitor because it wasn't scaled exactly right. The fancy Xbox solution fixed my problem. If you can add maybe with preset resoutions that pop up when you select a game, that'd be awesome.

For instance, lets say I launch Bionic Commando it would open a box like:

> 256x224

> 512x448 (480p)

> 768x672 (720p)

I'm sure if that makes sense, but I think you'll get my point. Its getting late and I'm tired. :)

if I was to put in a feature id go what is the screen size

pal...ntsc or 720p

what is the res of the game

do the exact pixels of the game and lock filter etc to what evr they need to be.... and centre it as the emu knows the exact pixels it is

why would I hex edit when coinops knows the res of each game and knows the res of the screen...this is all thats need for it to calculate the exact screensize