What games did you play in the arcade that are now emulated?

sbpaabck

Hey all,

I am interested to know which games you played in the arcade that are now emulated on xbox, and also the ones which aren't.

I used to love punching sonic blast man, but that won't be emulated unless someone makes a punch bag xbox. Great when you are a teenager and you wanna find your limits and each month you get a little stronger.

Outrun and turbo outrun: I played outrun and turbo outrun in a hotel I used to stay at in scotland. I loved the wheel and the pedals on the bottom of the machine (you had to stand on the one I used) but could never get very far. I thought the graphic of the car flipping was amazing!

Thunderhoop: Played this in the south of france (the same trip I met my first hot girlfriend) I loved the intro but couldn't get very far on this. I think it was set to hard. I resorted to saying the machine wasn't accepting my francs so they would open it up and click the coin slot from the inside to give me some free goes. Until they realised I was lying and a huge french bloke scared the hell out of me chucking me out of the bar and yelling incomprehensible obscenities.

Double Dragon: Used to play this in the rugby club bar when I was about 10-13 (so thats 1993-1996?) I just loved beating the shit out of ppl on that game! At the time the graphics were good and the gameplay compelling. My dad lost many a 50p to that game! And it was 3 goes for a quid, marvellous!

Various scrolling flying shooters: I think the one I used to play in the leisure centre cafeteria was 19XX (loopmaster?) but I can't be sure it was so long ago. I loved that game so much colour and activity and firing those massive weapons gave a real sense of power! why could I never get very far in these games!!!!!

Aliens: Can't remember which one I just remember it was either 1 or 2 and you got a "MASSIVE" gun to shoot the shit out of those damn acidic aliens. I will never forget the level where you come across the core/reactor of the ship humming in the background of the level. I thought what the hell and shot it to shit, BOOM, KABLAM the reactor goes critical and a message informs you that you have crippled the ship. Im not sure if this affects anything but I remember thinking that was the first time I could realisticly affect the background in a game I was playing. Fantastic!

Anyhow hopefully that got this thread started, lets pass the time reminiscing for a while. Maybe some games you haven't tried will be mentioned and we can give them a shot on the xbox? What did you play? what were YOUR games?

My father used to have an upstairs games room in his cafe that would hold about 5 uprights 1/2 pinball machines and a pool table. it used to be the hangout for the teenagers in my town and it was great as id get cheeky credits and get to play all his jamma games before anyone else. he wouldnt change the game that often - but when something really good came out he would get it (this is pre-dedicated only years)

Galaxian - just a great shooter HAS to be played on a cab to be appreciated - i still have his 1978 galaxian cab that i has partially restored and has coinops vert running in it (90% done)

Stratovox Cocktail - i have very very fond memories of this game and i have never played a decent emulation of this game. The alien ships come down and grab humans from the side of the screen and they say "help me" in a great 8-bit style speech and "thank you" when you save them - still got this cocktail and original space invaders taito cocktail in storage too - they will come out at some point.

1942 - i have never met anyone that doesnt / didnt love this topdown shooter

Outzone - another great topdown shooter that was hard hard hard!

TMNT- just a brilliant brilliant hack and slash that was about when the first wave of turtle mania was about - spent loadsssss 20p's on this

Various versions of street fighter 2 - again this is where my 1v1 mastery has evolved from. He had various versions starting with sf2ce and also had a dedicated xmen children of the atom (which was ok)

Tetris - again another classic people have played a million times but sitting at a cab and playing for ages at 10p a go was time wasting bliss :huh:

there were loads more but these are probably the most memorable as i got to play them loads - and i got to own most of them as well as inheritance :). building xbox cabs keeps the memories going when arcades where full of games and not gamblers and massive driving toot.

My local market, the Matty St Dairy, had two arcade machines in the back: POW and something that looked like Galaxian I think but it looked like it had been on fire. When I was 9 I lived two blocks away and I would dig into the couch cushions for change, turn in what I found for quarters from the counter and then stand on a stepstool to play. I had an NES at home but I couldn't get enough of that machine.

Then there was a pizza shop with a real Donkey Kong machine. I had Donkey Kong Classics for NES but never really enjoyed it, but the real machine adds another layer when a life actually costs money. Plus, its a lot tougher in arcade form.

In the 90's Turtles in Time was THE game to play. That and Simpsons. Four player beat'em ups have never been better.

After that I think I moved on to SNES and N64 and didn't frequent arcades too much. It wasn't until my adult life that I had the bug to MAME a cab. And now I live with someone who lets me keep an arcade machine in the livingroom. Not sure how that happened but I don't question it...

My father used to have an upstairs games room in his cafe that would hold about 5 uprights 1/2 pinball machines and a pool table. it used to be the hangout for the teenagers in my town and it was great as id get cheeky credits and get to play all his jamma games before anyone else. he wouldnt change the game that often - but when something really good came out he would get it (this is pre-dedicated only years)

Galaxian - just a great shooter HAS to be played on a cab to be appreciated - i still have his 1978 galaxian cab that i has partially restored and has coinops vert running in it (90% done)

Stratovox Cocktail - i have very very fond memories of this game and i have never played a decent emulation of this game. The alien ships come down and grab humans from the side of the screen and they say "help me" in a great 8-bit style speech and "thank you" when you save them - still got this cocktail and original space invaders taito cocktail in storage too - they will come out at some point.

1942 - i have never met anyone that doesnt / didnt love this topdown shooter

Outzone - another great topdown shooter that was hard hard hard!

TMNT- just a brilliant brilliant hack and slash that was about when the first wave of turtle mania was about - spent loadsssss 20p's on this

Various versions of street fighter 2 - again this is where my 1v1 mastery has evolved from. He had various versions starting with sf2ce and also had a dedicated xmen children of the atom (which was ok)

Tetris - again another classic people have played a million times but sitting at a cab and playing for ages at 10p a go was time wasting bliss :huh:

there were loads more but these are probably the most memorable as i got to play them loads - and i got to own most of them as well as inheritance :). building xbox cabs keeps the memories going when arcades where full of games and not gamblers and massive driving toot.

Wow man, you had th best dad EVER! Any you still own those cabs too! man I must say I am slightly jealous!

My local market, the Matty St Dairy, had two arcade machines in the back: POW and something that looked like Galaxian I think but it looked like it had been on fire. When I was 9 I lived two blocks away and I would dig into the couch cushions for change, turn in what I found for quarters from the counter and then stand on a stepstool to play. I had an NES at home but I couldn't get enough of that machine.

Then there was a pizza shop with a real Donkey Kong machine. I had Donkey Kong Classics for NES but never really enjoyed it, but the real machine adds another layer when a life actually costs money. Plus, its a lot tougher in arcade form.

In the 90's Turtles in Time was THE game to play. That and Simpsons. Four player beat'em ups have never been better.

After that I think I moved on to SNES and N64 and didn't frequent arcades too much. It wasn't until my adult life that I had the bug to MAME a cab. And now I live with someone who lets me keep an arcade machine in the livingroom. Not sure how that happened but I don't question it...

lol the cab dreams are realised!! nice.

I forgot to mention tmnt and simpsons, I played both briefly (at the airport before a holiday) and was blown away, would have loved more of a go on these in the day. On my to-do list in the world or emulation!

Defiantly mortal combat. hanging out in the 711.

TMNT. spent many a coin on this one.

i used to play area 51 but i dont have a light gun (and maybe its not even emulated. havnt checked).

good games, I preferred timecrisis and house of the dead to area 51, just liked the recoil and the gore better I think!!

We had a Double Dragon at a arcade my brothers and I used to go to in Indiana. Cement floors.... jukebox usually playing. Kids smoking cigarettes. Those were the days.... before Big Brother took charge of everything. Now adults can't even smoke in bars and god help you if your in prison in California because a contraband pack of smokes will set you back nearly 400 bucks.

Can't remember how me and this dude Chris figured it out, but we had this method of getting free credits on Double Dragon. When we'd put our quarters in the game, we'd start beating the hell out of the coin box and the quarter must have bounced around or something because sometimes we could get 6 credits for one quarter. Got so good at the game that summer that I could beat it on one quarter, so I could stand in front of that damn thing for 4 hours off of a buck easy.

We had a Double Dragon at a arcade my brothers and I used to go to in Indiana. Cement floors.... jukebox usually playing. Kids smoking cigarettes. Those were the days.... before Big Brother took charge of everything. Now adults can't even smoke in bars and god help you if your in prison in California because a contraband pack of smokes will set you back nearly 400 bucks.

Can't remember how me and this dude Chris figured it out, but we had this method of getting free credits on Double Dragon. When we'd put our quarters in the game, we'd start beating the hell out of the coin box and the quarter must have bounced around or something because sometimes we could get 6 credits for one quarter. Got so good at the game that summer that I could beat it on one quarter, so I could stand in front of that damn thing for 4 hours off of a buck easy.

hehe ingenious! I like it. Yeh shame about the downfall of arcades and the increasing power of "the man." Rage against the machine had the right idea! best number one over!!! lol