anyone got a mouse to work with xbox emu/coinops/fbl

bulge2

just rooting through my old stuff in my loft i found a ps2 (pc connection) to xbox controller conversion. has anyone got a mouse to work with any xbox emu? im looking to put a trackball on my new cab so this would be perfect to hack - i just dont have a ps2 mouse yet

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just rooting through my old stuff in my loft i found a ps2 (pc connection) to xbox controller conversion. has anyone got a mouse to work with any xbox emu? im looking to put a trackball on my new cab so this would be perfect to hack - i just dont have a ps2 mouse yet

Yes it works but not with that converter. You have to get usb mouse and wire it to xbox controller lead.

That looks like a proper one for xbox, although im presuming you've already tried it with no luck.

Wiring usb devices is quite easy, colours usually match (lol usually). The xbox wire has a yellow wire which you can snip close to the outer sheath as it serves no purpose for the mouse n keyboard stuff. Then theres 4 left to join and they are colour coded. Cant remember off hand. Dont snip the xbox wire short, use an old pad that knackered and snip real close to the pad making sure you still have the little barrell shaped in line filter still intact. You will notice the xbox wire has a 2 barrell shaped filters, one before the breaker and the other near the pad. You need these intact. Ive tried with third party pad wires and had no luck at all. Official xbox pad wires work a treat. There will be a proper guide somewhere out there if youre willing to have a google. All i can tell you is whats worked for me (4 - 5 times). Good luck.

I have to be honest, unless you use xdsl (linux) a lot, besides 3 or 4 roms, it aint worth making a mouse.

Mine has been in the cupboard since i tested Centipede. Hasnt been out since. A novelty item im afraid.

Edited by cba.gy

03_.jpg

its one of these btw

I got one of those. Big 'ol waste of money, that was....

If you've got a broken controller, cut off the cord right at the controller and cut off a USB cable using the end that will plug into a USB hub or directly into your mouse or keyboard.

Splicing is easy, since the wires are the same colors on both. I think the XBox has an extra wire, so just tape that one off.

Wrap it up with a little electrical tape when you're all done and you're set.

Heh... I just noticed that cbagy already said that in another way..... whoops.

Anyways...

It's real good for X-Com for the PC as well as other games like Kings Quest and Leisure Suit Larry. I'll be honest. Mine has been in a box for ages since I made it too. I've been too busy working on the Xtras to mess around with setting up DOS stuff.

ok thanks - i have got a control panel with a non usb happ trackball already installed and rather than totally rebuild it like i used to i thought id try to incorporate it.

my cabs have more emus than coinops/fbl so i thought mouse support for the trackball would be a nice addition as it actually saves me work with the construction of the control panel.

what emus like dosx and winuax support the mouse? also is it really worth it :P

Has anyone used keyboard and mouse for Winston X (the atari ST emulator)

have modded an xbox for my friend just for this emu, he loves the ATARI ST it would be great to add mouse support for arkaniod etc.

has anyone tried this, did it work, do you have pics? Im specifically interested in Winston x don't forget peeps :P

Except for DOS, I'm not even sure which emus support it.

"Is it worth it" is subjective.... I definitely think so since I can play the Kings Quest series with it, and it also helps out with typing anything in XBMC (if memory serves correctly).

If you don't use computer emulators though, and you're happy with using the pop up keyboards for typing, it's probably not.

Either way, if you have a broken controller it's probably worth it at least for the novelty of it. If you don't care about old DOS games or there isn't some other compelling reason to do it I wouldn't destroy a good XBox controller.

Exactly why i built a keyboard and mouse for the xbox, i had some broken controllers.

Seemed i may as well make them anyway just in case. In case of what i still dont know. lol.

What emulators support these things, i dunno. Very handy for xdsl or xbmc is all i can comment on.

ok great thanks for replies - i thought it would make a nice addition to my emulator-x cab one guy i built a cab specifically asked for amiga games on his - most are joystick but i imagine a trackball would have come in handy.

what arcade games do you use for trackball? - im thinking golden tee, arkanoid(spinner maybe) missile command etc.

im going to order one of these and hack it and see - ive got loads of controllers so using one for this hack wont be a problem.

treasure island ftw :P

Edited by bulge2