Xbox Emulators (Dashboard)

illtww

I am trying to make a user friendly as possible Dashboard for all the emulator for my 12 old nephew.

I saw a few front-ends on here that look good... some great.

Love the CoinOPS layout and functionality! (thanks BP!)

I am using XBMC as my menu now. But i have to go into it and click on the emus folder to see the different emulators.

Does anyone know of a dashboard that has been created to help incorporate all the current emulators? (NES/SNES/GEN/N64 etc..)

Love the site!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying to make a user friendly as possible Dashboard for all the emulator for my 12 old nephew.

I am using XBMC as my menu now. But i have to go into it and click on the emus folder to see the different emulators.

Does anyone know of a dashboard that has been created to help incorporate all the current emulators? (NES/SNES/GEN/N64 etc..)

Love the site!

Hi,

I think some ppl have built custom modified dashboards that do what you describe but I don't have the skills to tell you how to do that. Using XBMC, adding your emulators folders (on your hdd) as a source in the "programs" tab and then adding wide icons for each program was the closest I could get to what you are describing.

You can find your wide icons here: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?sho...682126&st=0

on page 4 there are some EXCELLENT icons in my opinion. Make sure you have a recent build of xbmc for wide icon support. To add the icons you will need to rename the icon to default.tbn and place it in the folder that contains your emulator. For example if you wanted to add an icon for surreal you would first download the icon (by right clicking on the icon on the webpage, clicking save as etc..., or by downloading a icon pack...), rename the icon file to "default.tbn" then FTP it into the "surreal xxx etc" folder probably somewhere like f:/emulators/surreal/default.tbn (this is where the surreal folder is on my hard drive.)

Don't forget to change the "view" in the left side tab to Wide once inside your emulators section. Tell xbmx to remember folder views also (this is done in settings, programs, files, check remember views for different folders.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is pasted from copesfogos excellent FANCY XBOX site: http://fancyxbox.info/?doc=1&secao=setup

How to setup icons in XBMC Dashboard

Installing icons for emulators, applications or even folders in XBMC is a very simple proccess. All you need to do is to rename a PNG or a JPG file to DEFAULT.TBN and place inside the emulator or application folder. To apply an icon to a folder who not contains any applications you should name your file as FOLDER.JPG instead.

THIS BIT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!:

I applied a new icon but it does not change! What's going on?

Simple answer: the XBMC dashboard caches all icons for applications and folders in your user profile directory. Usually this folder is located inside your E:/APPS/XBMC/USERDATA folder. On newer XBMC builds this directory is also accessible through the PROFILE DATA link in the File Manager. Simple go there, enter the THUMBNAILS folder and erase ANYTHING. Don't fear that, they are just cached information that will be reacreated by the system, refreshing this way all the globally installed icons.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an easy way to add colourful wide icons that will make your emulators stand out.

If you want to make it so your nephew can't change the XBMC settings and "break" things the XBMC master lock is a very useful feature. It can make it so you can only access certain areas of xbmc without a passcode and the settings are locked and so cannot be altered. Programs etc can be used as normal if set up properly. Very useful if you have nephews or drunken friends and you want your dashboard to remain in one piece.

To set this up go into xbmx, settings, system, master lock (left side tab), then master lock code and settings (right hand side) Then you can choose to lock file manager, lock settings etc (these are the two you want) now choose a nice short very easy to remember numerical passcode, I just use the year I was born as I will never forget it! If you do forget it you are locked out so be very careful.

Anyway once done your nephew will not be able to do anything except use what you want him to unless he enters the correct password. This effectively gives you administrator rights and him user rights. Whilst not the most beautiful solution it certainly works for me!

http://xbmc.org/wiki/?title=System_Settings

good luck, pm me if you need a link for a later XBMC build with wide icon support.

Love the site!

you cans set xbox media centre to boot up straight to the emulators section,its very simple to do.just make the emulatros the default.

What's wrong with just using UnleashX dashboard? I have mine set up to boot straight into a menu where I can choose Xbox games, or emulators (except I made it say "Classic Games"). I have an icon for every emulator and Xbox game, and renamed all the emulator titles to say the name of the console instead of the name of the emulator. Couldn't be any easier in my opinion. The only time I even use XBMC is to watch a video of some kind, and I have a link to that in my main menu as well. Mine is more basic than this guy's, but here's an example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QFvLB7PZwE

What's wrong with just using UnleashX dashboard? I have mine set up to boot straight into a menu where I can choose Xbox games, or emulators (except I made it say "Classic Games"). I have an icon for every emulator and Xbox game, and renamed all the emulator titles to say the name of the console instead of the name of the emulator. Couldn't be any easier in my opinion. The only time I even use XBMC is to watch a video of some kind, and I have a link to that in my main menu as well. Mine is more basic than this guy's, but here's an example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QFvLB7PZwE

Becuse xbmc is his main dash on startup and maybe he dosent he does not wont to start messing around with changing main dashboards.

Becuse xbmc is his main dash on startup and maybe he dosent he does not wont to start messing around with changing main dashboards.

I like the XBMC look.

Yes I have a emus icon undea programs.

Then i click the icon and all my emulators show up. (launch them form there)

How do i make XBMC go straigt to my listing of emus?

I like the XBMC look.

very simple just highlight the emualtors icon and then press the white button on your controller.some options show up,select the option make default and your good to go.

just turn off your xbox and then turn it on after that to make sure it boots up to emulators.

I like the XBMC look.

very simple just highlight the emualtors icon and then press the white button on your controller.some options show up,select the option make default and your good to go.

just turn off your xbox and then turn it on after that to make sure it boots up to emulators.

I think I might start doing this too :(