Getting a PS3

Agozer

Don't even bother getting the 250GB model. I bought the 120GB model and upgraded the HDD to 500GB for only $80. Ordered the HDD from Newegg, really great site!

Did you open up your PS3 and swap in the new drive or did you buy an external HDD? I'm not that worried about HDD space though, I think I would be ok with just the 120GB model. We'll see.

I can't think of what to do with the extra space too, other than installing the games :lol: If i want to watch movies, i plug in my external HDD. HDD need to be formatted with Fat32, if i remember correctly.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't even bother getting the 250GB model. I bought the 120GB model and upgraded the HDD to 500GB for only $80. Ordered the HDD from Newegg, really great site!

Did you open up your PS3 and swap in the new drive or did you buy an external HDD? I'm not that worried about HDD space though, I think I would be ok with just the 120GB model. We'll see.

Yes, it's an internal HDD, and no, it does not void the warranty if you do it. Sony encourages it actually.

That's good to hear. I had my doubts whether Sony had reverted to another case of "it's not yours even if you bought it" and either made it very difficult to swap the HDD and/or void your warranty if you tried to swap.

Also, considering that I live in the PAL region, are all PS3 games region free with only Blu-Ray and PSX/PS2 games region-locked or does that "freeness" vary? Not that the whole PAL/NTSC thing matters because of 720p and 1080p these days, but you know.

EDIT: lol, split

That's good to hear. I had my doubt whether Sony had reverted to another case of "it's not yours even if you bought it" and either made it very difficult to swap the HDD and/or void your warranty if you tried to swap.

Also, considering that I live in the PAL region, are all PS3 games region free with only Blu-Ray and PSX/PS2 games region-locked or does that "freeness" vary? Not that the whole PAL/NTSC matters because 720p and 1080p these days, but you know.

EDIT: lol, split

Yes, all PS3 games are region free. I upgraded my HDD so I can load up all my movies. I still have over 150GB free for content. I just like having everything on the system, as opposed to hooking up an external. Besides, now I can say I have a 500GB PS3 Slim for only $320!

The Slim is a good deal, I bought it and now I'm nearly addicted to it, there's just a lot of games for it that have come out over the years that I never got to play previously. MGS4 and Killzone 2 are keeping me interested. It can do many things the 360 cannot, and those things in particular, include, data transfer.

I am hooked to AC II and GOW Collection at the moment. GOW Collection is done right. If devs want to port their PS2 games to PS3, they should go GOW route. i will gladly shell out my hard earned cash to get it if i really like the game.

As i speak, this game is practically sold out in every part of my country, where stocks that came in were sold out in one day. And game shops are having a hard time trying to stock up the games as the demand is too high.

The graphic look much better in every aspect, shown at true 720p at 60fps. The bummer is in-game cutscenes are shown at 480p, so you will see the difference immediately. The enhancement in in-game graphics is so huge that, those that never seen GOW before might think it is a new game.

Recommended if you love GOW and GOW II.

It seems that this is yet another collection that only gets a release in the US, at least as far as GameFAQs is to be believed. Not that it really matters when the games are region free, but it still irks me.