Upgrading XBOX HDD

Neo369

I am looking into upgrading my stock HDD (finally lol). So far, I am looking at a 500GB Western Digital WD5000AAKB. I chose a PATA because I have read that people have had trouble with SATA->PATA converters. Can anyone confirm that this HDD will work and is lockable? Also, do I need a special BIOS to support this drive? I have a 1.4 XBOX and have a softmod (from SID 5.01, NKPatcher 11, I believe). Thanks!

Edited by Neo369

My advice is to go on Pricewatch.com and do a search for an IDE drive. They're still available and pretty cheap. I'm about to get a 500GB EIDE drive for about $70. No adapter means no fuss! Do the search and find a good deal, then go to the compatibility chart and search for the model number to see if it locks or not. Theres a spot on the chart where people leave comments and they give tips on how the process went. I've done twenty or so hdd upgrades this way.

Good luck!

Edit: No you won't need a special bios. You may need to format the partitions at a different cluster size depending on how you want the space partitioned.

Edited by RedCapsMan

Though this probably belongs in a different thread, while we're on the topic of bios, what bios support 128mb ram, as I am also considering upgrading that for Surreal and CoinOPS. Does nkpatcher work with 128mb?