How many things wrong can you find with this statement?

Shibathedog

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This particular Lancool isn't that expensive – $120 before tax. It's got all black interior finish, three 140mm fans (front and two top exhausts) and one 120mm fan at the back compared to the tempest's four 120mm fans (two front, one side and one back exhaust) and two 140mm (top exhaust), e-sata port and no black interior for $10 less. So i'm not sure – i'm assuming the tempest has better airflow? The black interior finish is pretty nice though..

This particular Lancool isn't that expensive – $120 before tax. It's got all black interior finish, three 140mm fans (front and two top exhausts) and one 120mm fan at the back compared to the tempest's four 120mm fans (two front, one side and one back exhaust) and two 140mm (top exhaust), e-sata port and no black interior for $10 less. So i'm not sure – i'm assuming the tempest has better airflow? The black interior finish is pretty nice though..

$120 for an empty case is laughable. Companies pour $5-$10 worth of plastic resin in a mould/$5-$10 worth of aluminum shaped and even after factoring labor costs are making a tenfold profit off you because you had to have the "Cool looking" case. Bet you own a Honda Civic with underglow, a big system and a fart pipe too where the shit ON/IN your car is worth nearly as much as the car is huh? :lol: hehe

$120 for an empty case is laughable. Companies pour $5-$10 worth of plastic resin in a mould/$5-$10 worth of aluminum shaped and even after factoring labor costs are making a tenfold profit off you because you had to have the "Cool looking" case. Bet you own a Honda Civic with underglow, a big system and a fart pipe too where the shit ON/IN your car is worth nearly as much as the car is huh? :lol: hehe

Dude I drive a pilot lol. And so what if I pay a little extra for aesthetics, like you never cashed out a little for something based on that? I have to look at the damn thing all the time why wouldn't I want it to look good. As if i'm trying to make some kind of statement by paying to the business who puts out the product of the "cool looking" case i'm considering in contrast to you making a statement about them taking a profit off me. As if that isn't sanctimonious in itself being all "anti-establishment". :P

Well it depends on the case. With certain cases yeah, but some of them (like mine) come with extra thick metal and have almost no plastic. If I remember right it weighs 40 pounds completely empty. I at first thought anything over 50 bucks was ridiculous for a case. But when I actually started using more expensive cases I began to see the advantages. There are many little things about most of them that make it very convenient and they tend to last longer/not get as fucked up looking just from normal use. (My friend bought a Sunbeam Transformer and a slight knock to the side caused the entire front to break off unable to be reattached, before that happened the bay cover door broke off) Screwless PCI brackets are ALWAYS fucked up though, I could never get them to hold most things right. I just took mine out and used screws I didn't even use the tool less bays in my case even though they seem to work well. Actually screwing it in is always the best way. Also if you want to build something really really high end (4 Graphics cards, 8 HDDs, Double Loop water cooling/peltier, etc.) you pretty much NEED one of these more expensive cases.

As far as those two cases though, the Tempest PROBABLY has better airflow. The design of the cases seems pretty similar but the Tempest has more fans. (keep in mind more fans usually=louder) Of course they could be really crappy fans. I doubt they are absolutely terrible though and you could always replace them anyway. The placement of the fans on the Tempest seems better to me too, but that could be because they are obviously going for the brute force method here, the Lian Li might be more efficient. The Lian Li might have better features because it is a Lian Li, but then again it might not because they want you to buy one of the even more expensive cases they sell. The NZXT might have better features because it is one of the higher end NZXT cases so they are going all out. If I where you I would read as many reviews on both as possible. After some skimming reviews seem to be slightly in favor of the Lian Li, but it is important to check out why. It may be because of something you do not care about. (I don't really ever use those front mounted ports for example) or just fanboyism. Check out the pictures and see if it has everything you want. Also try to imagine your particular hardware (and any upgrades that are even a remote possibility) in that case. You gotta make sure everything is going to go together well. My friend bought a small case so he could tuck it away in the corner, this was fine at the time because his video card was single slot and no longer than the mobo, but when he wanted to upgrade his GPU one day he was screwed out of anything high end because it was too big. Both of these cases seem like good cases though so either way your not going to end up with shit. I know the tempest was pretty popular in the OCing community for awhile, and they usually don't do any fucking around if that does anything for you. Lian Li's are usually popular there too but I am not familiar with this particular model so I can't recall anything specific. (It seems like I should be though, it is a nice case)

As far as black interiors go it is extremely easy to do this yourself. Especially if nothing is put together yet. I've debated doing it with my case but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. Wouldn't a black interior attract/hold more heat? Would the paint effect the metals ability to transfer/dissipate heat? Or would it be such a minuscule difference that it wouldn't matter? I'm not really sure.

Oh and the NZXT looks like it has more plastic on it. I don't really like looking at plastic so this kinda makes me like the Lian Li more, but it might be fine. I would have to examine them both in person. See if you can find a bunch of close up pics of all the plastic parts/where it connects and make sure it isn't something that will easily break. If it looks sturdy go for it.

Either that or ignore everything but raw performance. I built a PC like this and DAMN was it ugly and loud but it ran cool/fast as fuck.

Yeah i was watching video reviews and the Lancool looks like it has better tool-less design overall while the Tempest has better airflow. If I get the Tempest i'll consider spraying it black inside myself. I prefer the outside of the Tempest but the inside of the Lancool lol its always impossible to find a case with the perfect features exactly as you'd want them to the small details but i'm probably just splitting hairs for things like that as both are nice. I wouldn't do more than two video cards crossfire'd though, looking into the new 5770's and the Eyefinity feature. It's pretty sick if I could play WoW like this :lol::

Interesting, but all the action happens on the middle screen. The other two screens aren't really improving the game any. Plus did I see 13 frames a second?

He had all his settings pretty high, I guess with three monitors it takes its toll. Yeah it concentrates on the center but imagine being able to see everyone in a raid, never being snuck up on by gankers lol.

The only thing apple has been good at is making best selling mp3 players (iPods) and portable hand-held game consoles (iPod touch and iPhone). Those apple macbook look pretty ugly compared to my classy looking black DELL Inspiron 1545, which has got a nice keyboard and the monitor back cover has a nice matt finish and a glossy finish on the main part of the laptop.