How many things wrong can you find with this statement?

Shibathedog

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got 2 old 12" iBooks that I love. but I got them cheap and use them as netbooks. I don't try to do anything serious on them. I'm thinking of switching one to a linux media center.

Apple's strength is design. and marketing there are no better looking computers on the market. Hardware is thier weakpoint. and they will leave you in the dust when they change architecture. there is no PowerPC support any more and they have only been on intel for a few years now. less then 4 I'm sure.

the only other strong point is OSX is solid and you can't fuck it up. nearly zero virus and spywares too.

I've got 2 old 12" iBooks that I love. but I got them cheap and use them as netbooks. I don't try to do anything serious on them. I'm thinking of switching one to a linux media center.

Apple's strength is design. and marketing there are no better looking computers on the market. Hardware is thier weakpoint. and they will leave you in the dust when they change architecture. there is no PowerPC support any more and they have only been on intel for a few years now. less then 4 I'm sure.

the only other strong point is OSX is solid and you can't fuck it up. nearly zero virus and spywares too.

Actually, I think Apple has been quite reasonable about PPC support. The transition to Intel started about 5 years ago and they introduced several things to keep compatibility. For existing PPC users, they encouraged developers to make their programs universal binaries so they could run on both sides (and up to about a year ago, most developers did just that). They also released Leopard on the PPC side and included Rosetta on Intel Macs so they could run old PPC applications. Considering how old the PPC architecture is at this point, I don't think they could have done much more to keep supporting it. The only people I feel sorry for are those that bought in to the G5 - they were very expensive and died way before their time.

The lack of malware on the OS X side is definitely one of the biggest advantages, I'm just curious how long it will last for.

Yeah and the industry still thinks Macs are better for graphic design so i'm stuck on this PPC G5. :/

BUT i'll be damned if i'm stuck with a one-button soap bar mouse. I started working here in March and found one of the two-button mac mice with the tiny ball scroll wheel, and when some of my bosses would get on my machine to use it they'd treat it like it was a one-button. People still using those things christ.

That is one thing that has always perplexed me... "Macs are good for graphics", "PCs are good for business", etc... Neither is "good" at either of those uses per se, it is simply a matter of the platform having the software you need for a specific purpose. Adobe's products exist on both sides and they don't run "good" on one versus the other. It's like people think there is some sort of magical fairy dust that somehow makes one machine better than another and locks both PCs and Macs in to only specific uses and nothing more.

I know these people are VERY knowledgeable and really understand the fundamentals of computer science... but it was always my understanding that both Windows and OS X were designed to be multi-purpose operating systems capable of running software for whatever use the user desired. I could be wrong on that though. ;)

Edited by VT-Vincent

During my senior year of high school, my school switched from fairly old Dell computers to iMacs for the graphic art class. We had so many technical problems with them and had such a hard time learning how to deal with their finickiness that we would've been better off with even older Dells. Seriously, anyone who says that Apple products "just work" has never used a product that works well.

I've also heard how amazing iPods are from so many people, but then they burn out and die after a couple years, or they get a new computer so they lose all of their iTunes, or they have to spend hundreds of dollars per year because of all the new models that come out. If iPods are so great, why do they seem to have to update them every few months? I've had my Creative Zen for quite a few years now and it has never given me any problems. I could use it on Windows and Linux, my computer or someone else's, and any number of media players to sync it. I only stopped using the Kingston K-PEX I had before it because I got more music and I lost the charging cables :/

Anyway, the point is: Fuck Steve Jobs with his black turtlenecks and his creepy obsession with the word "revolutionize."

I'd disagree about Macs looking the best. I think they look kind of stupid. There are a lot of interesting cases out there. I'm in love with my thermaltake armor (NOT the armor +, that one has too much plastic shit on it) but I realize it's not for everyone and I would understand a lot of people hating it. There are many other cool options too. Some that I think look even cooler but the armor just has so much room inside that is one of the main reasons I picked it.