Time for Windows 7!

VT-Vincent

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try using the Vista driver, supposedly Win7 is backward compatible with all of the Vista drivers. From what I've read it's more like most of them though.

tried that, no go. there isn't even a 64bit vista driver for my card. which seems odd as it is a Linksys WMP54G. a card that is widely available at every best buy and walmart. It's not like it is some oddball no name card.

Ever since Cisco took over Linksys, it seems like their products and support haven't been up to par. I have a PCI Gigabit card from them that they decided not to support in Vista. I also have had more reliability issues with their routers. I ended up moving over to D-Link for most of my networking needs since then, so far I've had a good experience.

Started a clean install last night with the latest BIE release and it didn't work. I installed it three different times: tried it once w/out internet, w/internet and not unchecking "Activate once you connect to the internet," then w/internet and unchecking Activate et al. Neither install would activate even though it's supposed to be pre-activated; not even with the HAZAR activator. Then I started looking around for solutions from my linux install and found the "Windows 7 Loader" which finally did the trick. Before doing so, I had GRUB reclaim the MBR just in case (since the loader works from boot).

Did you set a password during install? What you are supposed to do is disable the update check, not set any password (for your account or admin) and then when it boots to the desktop for the first time you just let it sit there until it restarts itself. If you want I can PM you a link about how to activate it manually if that still doesn't work. (It is funky with certain mobos I think)

I have also started moving to D-Link, right now I run a WRT54GS V2 with Tomato though.

No, I didn't set a password or enable update check. Also, the cracking phase didn't initiate until after I entered my username, etc. An empty command line just appears and you're supposed to wait for it to finish AFAIK. Already got it activated with a loader though, but I won't be updating (I did update when it booted to the desktop for the firs time).

Bah, loaders are no good....

I'm using a loader and it seems fine. I do plan on getting around to doing a Bios hack sometime later.

I think I'm one of the few people that actually bought my copies of Windows 7 :lol:

probably :P