Time for Windows 7!

VT-Vincent

I'm really not in a hurry to upgrade. I liked the Win7 Beta but my XP install is stable and fast right now. I'll ride that wave as long as I can.

once a good retail iso and activation hack hit the scene I'll grab it and hold it until I decide I want to go through fresh install hell.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I wouldn't recommend the upgrade edition, go for the full edition and Home Premium should satisfy most users here unless you work from home go for Professional, if you work for the CIA or protect corporate secret then Ultimate is the one for you. I also recommend a fresh install.

I don't see a problem with the upgrade versions. Admittedly, the extra install or registry change needed to qualify for it can be a pain, but it's a lot better than paying the full price for it. The only license type I'd avoid are OEM licenses, they technically can't be transfered (ever) to another computer. Knowing how lax Microsoft's activation line is, there's a good chance they'd do it anyway but I would risk over $100 on that.

I've got everything ready to do the upgrade. all my stuff backed up on a separate partition. I may do it this week. it seems my wifi card doesn't have win7 drivers though.

there are some workarounds but I dunno if I want to go through all that.

Good luck with your upgrade. If you have any imaging software on hand, it wouldn't hurt to make a disk image before you do the upgrade. At least that way, if anything really goes south you can roll back to your old OS without any headaches.

I'm still waiting on Razer to release a driver for my damn mouse of all things. Also I thought with Win7 even the OEMs come up up to 3 machine license, maybe not though. The activation line is pretty lax, I've used it a couple times. I just told them the PC it used to be installed on doesn't exist anymore because it was parted out and I wanted to install it on my new machine.

I went ahead and did a clean install this morning. It went surprisingly well, no major problems. I have to use an odd driver for my wifi. Makes it feel alittle laggy and slower but hopefully linksys will get off thier ass soon.