Final Burn 1.1

nes6502

Just my 2 cents on this whole merging thing.....

I think, in principle, it may be of great benefit to those that want a simple emulation launcher.

I guess, the downside I can see that there is a real danger of the "launcher" influencing what an author of an emulator might want to include with their emu...such as screen re-sizing and different filter options.....

That's not a problem. The real concern is the following. Any developer who takes the time to port from scratch an emulator, game, etc... and then designs a GUI, adds the options that they think the users would want most, etc... only does so for one reason. They do it for all the Xbox fans who would appreciate it. I didn't port Final Burn for me. I did it for the Xbox users around the world. It's the same reason I did ZsnexBox. If it was just for me, I would have stopped at ZsnexBox 1.3.

They don't get anything for their work. The only thing they get is the "Great emulator!" posts. The satisfaction of the users is all you get. If I or any developer released a port, and no-none took the time to say "great job", then that would be the last port I ever did.

The point in all of this is, I personally would like my work to stay "my work" for at least a little while. I don't want it immediately wrapped up in someone else's emulator where they get all the credit. If I was to release a port and someone took my source and added it to their emulator the next day, then I just did all that work for someone else.

The source is out there and people can do whatever they like with it of course (that's the point of open source), but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have an opinion on it.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that your last update since all the games for FB are going to be in FBA, I cant wait to see your FBA port. Nice job by the way in FB. Thanks.

That's it. I know the GUI is terrible. I just made that as fast as I could to get the emulator out. I felt bad for making the scene wait as long as it had. Both of those emulator cores were done almost a year ago (that's why I was able to release a FBA core in a few days). FBL is complete. Just considering if I want to update to the latest FBA. If that becomes problematic, I may release what I have and maybe start a different project.

Edited by nes6502

That's it. I know the GUI is terrible. I just made that as fast as I could to get the emulator out. I felt bad for making the scene wait as long as it had. Both of those emulator cores were done almost a year ago (that's why I was able to release a FBA core in a few days). FBL is complete. Just considering if I want to update to the latest FBA. If that becomes problematic, I may release what I have and maybe start a different project.

I just want to say that what you have done is greatly appreciated. I know you hear that a lot, but I know that most of us (well me) really do mean it. Taking the time to do what you've done should net you the credit you deserve. You did it for the scene, which is commendable to say the least.

That said, I'd be lying if I said I didn't want you to update FBL to the latest FBA. I honestly hope you decide to do it.

Once again, thank you for the excellent app. :lol:

Edited by neoryu

OK ive actually inserted the core for 2 games (actualy did a while back :lol: ).... ill leave it alone for public releases. I will be hiding the games names in the gui and ill write a file to F drive maybe in the future you can modify your build and use a diff launcher but ill leave it totally up to you. Its good to see great success. If you ever want to work together on merging SNES Arcades and FBA into one GUI let me know ive done alot of the work under the hood in CoinOPS but I wont release anything without a team forming as its not my place. Also the Xbe and its features would be seperate...id only tie together these settings. screensize, HD or Not and start + back = exit to default.xbe.

Also if you want PSD for a logo or what ever or some source along the way just ask although you are very skilled at this stuff anyways.

I think, in principle, it may be of great benefit to those that want a simple emulation launcher.

I guess, the downside I can see that there is a real danger of the "launcher" influencing what an author of an emulator might want to include with their emu...such as screen re-sizing and different filter options.....

That's not a problem. The real concern is the following. Any developer who takes the time to port from scratch an emulator, game, etc... and then designs a GUI, adds the options that they think the users would want most, etc... only does so for one reason. They do it for all the Xbox fans who would appreciate it. I didn't port Final Burn for me. I did it for the Xbox users around the world. It's the same reason I did ZsnexBox. If it was just for me, I would have stopped at ZsnexBox 1.3.

They don't get anything for their work. The only thing they get is the "Great emulator!" posts. The satisfaction of the users is all you get. If I or any developer released a port, and no-none took the time to say "great job", then that would be the last port I ever did.

The point in all of this is, I personally would like my work to stay "my work" for at least a little while. I don't want it immediately wrapped up in someone else's emulator where they get all the credit. If I was to release a port and someone took my source and added it to their emulator the next day, then I just did all that work for someone else.

The source is out there and people can do whatever they like with it of course (that's the point of open source), but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have an opinion on it.

Nes....I think that was pretty much what I was hinting at..lol.

I've said it loads of times already, but awesome job mate!...and if you need a beta tester for FBL, let me know.

K

I get that feeling all the time... :lol:

(hence: people wondering who I am and what I am talking about...)

no... I'm cool... :P

I wouldn't sweat the small stuff like the GUI, it wasn't bad at all, your work is great. You have great skinners here you could utilize, the emu itself is great. It doesn't seem much for you to just whip something up in a week or two. I just think with kenshiro's work on FBA and BP's work on CoinOPS, and his new direction that continues to evolve it. It would be great if BP's mame roms were in Kenshiro's FBA and your hand into completing the saga drivers would be nice. Instead of three different projects working around the same idea of having the same roms emulated. I think Kenshiro's work on FBA with everything separated, cp1-2, neo-geo and with BP's mame and future snes, n64 in it would be (my dream emulator) just triggering the emu I want. Possible... probably not, for whatever reason. Just seems you want more of a challenge, that would be it. Cant forget iq_132 for all he's done as well.