The Legend of Zelda franchise

Fatal Rose

timeline_legend_of_zelda.jpg

I know this may sound odd but I never really seriously played any of the Zelda games. I take that back I did play Links Awakening years ago for the Gameboy, it was a great game but never completed it. The game was lost sadly. Well thanks to emulation I am able to play them. Up until yesterday I hadn't played a Zelda game in years, for some odd reason I decided to load one up. I started off with The Phantom Hour Glass, I liked it but the controls were a bit tough. Had to do everything with the pointer. Obviously I am using an emulator, so instead of that pointer thing I am using my mouse. I decided to get back to that game later. I still had an itch so I decided to randomly pick another Zelda, this time it was the Minish Cap.

Wow is all I can say so far, this game is amazing. I have been playing it like crazy for the last three nights. Totally addicted to it. I did get stuck a few times and had to resort to a FAQ. I also find myself digging in each area like crazy in hopes of finding more Key Stones. This game is seriously awesome and one of the funnest games I've ever played. It's an action adventure game that's part RPG and puzzle. I can't recommend the Minish Cap enough. I am also unsure as to what Zelda game I should dive into yet, I have literally every Zelda game ever, not including those crappy CDi games though. I have them either through actually game/console or emulator. Funny thing is I did not even notice I had EVERY Zelda game.

Let's talk about The Legend Of Zelda. :)

Post memories, first game of the series ever played, favorite characters, favorite moments, favorite/toughest bosses, etc.. I want to hear it all.

zelda_line2.jpg

link-zelda-tp.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first game I played in the Zelda franchise was actually Ocarina of Time. It was one of my favorites for the system and I became hooked on Zelda after that. The only post-OOT Zelda that I haven't completed is Majora's Mask. I've made several attempts at playing through it, but for some reason it just isn't doing it for me.

Minish Cap is definitely a must-play. I love how the blended the classic 2D Zelda elements and the OOT elements perfectly. The characters, script and music were all just right. My favorite of the franchise at this point would definitely be Twilight Princess though. To me, it was everything that OOT should have been but wasn't due to technical limitations. I think if they had taken the franchise in this direction to begin with on the GameCube the system may not have met the fate it did.

My first 2 Zelda games, and my favorite; are the Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons GBC games. Play them both at the same time and you have an adventure to never forget in your memory for years to come. They got me introduced into the series around the same time I got introduced to Megaman X (played the "remake" of X2 on the GBC) and I consider it to be one of the reasons I'm nearly blind today. I wish Nintendo would expand on a game like this more though. To be it was the first time a "Red"/"Blue" version of a game came out and both were worth purchasing. Unlike the Pokemon games, both games do expand and benefit each other after playing through them.

My 3rd Zelda game was A Link to a Past. It was alright, I understand what it brought to the scene at the time, but when I played it I honestly wanted to experience the 4Swords adventure more than the classic itself. I did beat it, and it was alright. I just never fell in love with it like some of the local SNES owners here. At the time of its release I was too into Sonic, and barely having any money doesn't give you the option to try out more than one thing.

TPrincess was to anti-climatic for me. Not to mention the entire game your expecting a certain someone to appear (you just know he's there), and when he finally does; the game takes a dive to ending too quick. Even though this was my 4th Zelda play through, I really didn't think much of it. It got boring mad quick, and the waggle on the Wii made me feel like I was a lab rat for the "new-generation" control system. Play the GC version if you've played Windwaker or hate waggle. There were memorable moments in the game, just nothing too special.

OOT I never got into it, it's not that I didn't like it, I just got extremely bored of it. One day I plan on pushing through that initial boredom, since the majority seem to think it's the best game of the series EVOR. I've also tried the original 2 games, and windwaker to a certain extent. But that's it, those I couldn't finish for practically the same reason as OOT. It just got boring, after remembering my full inventory in my earlier Zelda adventures, I just felt like it was going to be the same shit all over again. Hell the only reason I finished TPrincess was because I forced myself to beat it before I gave it back to my friend who lend it to me.

The first game I played in the Zelda franchise was actually Ocarina of Time. It was one of my favorites for the system and I became hooked on Zelda after that. The only post-OOT Zelda that I haven't completed is Majora's Mask. I've made several attempts at playing through it, but for some reason it just isn't doing it for me.

Minish Cap is definitely a must-play. I love how the blended the classic 2D Zelda elements and the OOT elements perfectly. The characters, script and music were all just right. My favorite of the franchise at this point would definitely be Twilight Princess though. To me, it was everything that OOT should have been but wasn't due to technical limitations. I think if they had taken the franchise in this direction to begin with on the GameCube the system may not have met the fate it did.

You're the best new member we've had in a while. Hope you stick around.

My first 2 Zelda games, and my favorite; are the Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons GBC games. Play them both at the same time and you have an adventure to never forget in your memory for years to come. They got me introduced into the series around the same time I got introduced to Megaman X (played the "remake" of X2 on the GBC) and I consider it to be one of the reasons I'm nearly blind today. I wish Nintendo would expand on a game like this more though. To be it was the first time a "Red"/"Blue" version of a game came out and both were worth purchasing. Unlike the Pokemon games, both games do expand and benefit each other after playing through them.

My 3rd Zelda game was A Link to a Past. It was alright, I understand what it brought to the scene at the time, but when I played it I honestly wanted to experience the 4Swords adventure more than the classic itself. I did beat it, and it was alright. I just never fell in love with it like some of the local SNES owners here. At the time of its release I was too into Sonic, and barely having any money doesn't give you the option to try out more than one thing.

TPrincess was to anti-climatic for me. Not to mention the entire game your expecting a certain someone to appear (you just know he's there), and when he finally does; the game takes a dive to ending too quick. Even though this was my 4th Zelda play through, I really didn't think much of it. It got boring mad quick, and the waggle on the Wii made me feel like I was a lab rat for the "new-generation" control system. Play the GC version if you've played Windwaker or hate waggle. There were memorable moments in the game, just nothing too special.

OOT I never got into it, it's not that I didn't like it, I just got extremely bored of it. One day I plan on pushing through that initial boredom, since the majority seem to think it's the best game of the series EVOR. I've also tried the original 2 games, and windwaker to a certain extent. But that's it, those I couldn't finish for practically the same reason as OOT. It just got boring, after remembering my full inventory in my earlier Zelda adventures, I just felt like it was going to be the same shit all over again. Hell the only reason I finished TPrincess was because I forced myself to beat it before I gave it back to my friend who lend it to me.

I can understand why you believe it can get repetitive.

I never owned a Nintendo so I never played any Zelda either. The only one I have now is A Link to the Past on Zsnes. I'll get round to playing through it one day, but all the Final Fantasys will come first.

I never owned a Nintendo so I never played any Zelda either. The only one I have now is A Link to the Past on Zsnes. I'll get round to playing through it one day, but all the Final Fantasys will come first.

Holy shit dude that is a crime.

Some of my greatest gaming memories can be traced to playing zelda through with my dad.

I watched him play it - then I played, while he was at work I would earn him what i could I would say "Hey I got your flippers for you and the bottle under the bridge."

Majoras mask on 64 is amazing but did not "fit" into the stream of games at the time, its time consuming but VERY rewarding.

Zelda must be played by ANYONE who considers them self a gamer. for the record zelda on the cube sucks dick.

A Link to the Past is actually my least favorite Zelda title of them all.

Link's Awakening is my favorite. I spent more hours playing this title than all the other ones combined.

A Link to the Past is actually my least favorite Zelda title of them all.

Link's Awakening is my favorite. I spent more hours playing this title than all the other ones combined.

A link to the past was your least favorite zelda game ever? Even over the NES bullshit? DUDE!! :)

Every zelda game from then on followed the formula.?

Links awakening is superb.

U WTF me again skythe. :o

Even over the NES bullshit? DUDE!! :)

wait.. what?

the NES Zeldas are the best in the series. We passed around those golden carts at my grade school until the batteries wouldn't save anymore. at the time there was NOTHING like the original Legend of Zelda. the second one was not as good but still a classic. I don't like any of the N64 Zeldas

The first game I played in the Zelda franchise was actually Ocarina of Time.

Whaaaaat? I come from an age, where Zelda was one of the ONLY must have games

Majora's Mask. I've made several attempts at playing through it, but for some reason it just isn't doing it for me.

HAHAHA "for some reason" that game sucks. It Ugly, its annoying. How many times have I restarted time and I still didn't have all the masks. It got too boring for my tastes, never beat it.

OOT I never got into it, it's not that I didn't like it, I just got extremely bored of it. One day I plan on pushing through that initial boredom, since the majority seem to think it's the best game of the series EVOR. I've also tried the original 2 games, and windwaker to a certain extent. But that's it, those I couldn't finish for practically the same reason as OOT. It just got boring.

OOT was great... but by todays standards... The game got it done, but you gotta have appreciation for it to get alot out of it. I remember that was one of the only things I had to play at one point.

You guys MUST be young. When I was almost 7, Nintendo hit. Zelda was a must have in every household. That was 8 bit... anyway, there is no backburner, you need to play Link to the Past NOW. Emsley is right, thats a damn crime. That game gets it done.

Yea Ryan, I didnt know you didn't really play Zelda much at all from our brief conversation last night. What I would suggest, is "Link to the Past" next. It's a staple in gaming. If you like Zelda games, play that.

You NEED to play Ocarina of time, it is arguably the best game ever made. Play Majora's mask too and don't listen to everyone's whining. It's not as good as ocarina, but that is asking a lot. The SNES Zelda is also extremely good. I have heard that the one on Wii is almost as good as Ocarina if not better, but I haven't played it because I have no wii :) there is a gamecube version too but my controllers are at a friends house.