Why I love Chrono Trigger

Lucandrake

Acoustic guitar version, played by a dude I found in 20 seconds so don't ask me who he is.

OG Super Nintendo version.

Yea, my sis was attempting to play it with her guitar, and it just brought back a shit load of memories that must be repeated. Has anybody here tried the DS "re-mastering" of CT here? What's your verdict if so?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that is some awesome guitar work! CT is also one of my favorites, but sadly I didn't get to play it on the SNES. I was introduced to it through emulation and I've loved it ever since. Recently though, I did pick up the DS port and played through that. I was impressed to see that they were able to compensate for the change in screen resolution without causing any major detriment to the game. The extra content though is a bit questionable. I ended up going through the Lost Sanctum, one of the new areas added. It's basically just an obnoxious set of fetch quests with a ton of fights strewn about. All of the textures and music for it is rehashed from other areas of the game. The other new area I never bothered trying after my experiences with the first one.

I think Chrono Trigger and Earthbound tie it for me, these two games mark of what I think are excellent RPG games. Chrono Trigger is one of those RPGs that you really can't say anything about, as far as critique. Chrono Trigger and Earthbound are games that people need to complete before they can call themselves RPG fans. In my opinion, it's set in stone, both games are nearly perfect, but this isn't about Earthbound, however.

I haven't played the DS, I didn't find it interesting enough to try out because I thought the game was fine by itself, and if they were to add dungeons they should have put more effort and story into them, anyway the game is still great. The music was only extremely great because it was filled with the most outstanding and well renown Japanese music composers of this gaming generation.

Not to hijack the topic, but I would certainly agree with Earthbound being up there as one of the greats. It's actually the first RPG I ever played and still to this day one of my favorites. Out of curiosity, have you had a chance to try Mother 3?

Most "ye olde" Square RPGs have aged well, Chrono Trigger included.

*Still remembers Queen Zeal* That bitch. The final battle with Lavos is something that I'll remember for a long time, plus, how you could decide when to fight Lavos.

Chrono Trigger completed in ~15 minutes FTW.

Chrono Trigger never did anything for me. just one more in a long line of same old same old jRPGs.

Not to hijack the topic, but I would certainly agree with Earthbound being up there as one of the greats. It's actually the first RPG I ever played and still to this day one of my favorites. Out of curiosity, have you had a chance to try Mother 3?

Absolutely, completed it with 23 hours clocked in, took a few weeks to complete. There's one area in the game where the enemies spike in difficulty. Overall the story was pretty enjoyable, have you played it yet? You having played it before or not will vary my response.

Here is a tale for you all!!

When chrono trigger was released it NEVER saw the light of day in england!

Me and my buddy shaun were snes heads - one day we are in town and we look in the window of gamestation and there it is an american version of chrono trigger along with the convertor!!! all for 50 English pounds!!

At the time we were just young teenagers and we saved up cash - one week passed and the game was still in the window - we took in a few a snes games and as many pennies as we would and traded the games and handed over the cash.

We could not beilive we had chrono trigger in our hands the box the catridge the plastic wrappers EVERYTHING!!

We loved the game no doubt from the moment the clocks pendalum swings in at the start!

I never completed it but shaun did -

Quite a few years passed - im like "You still got your snes with chrono trigger?" No he replies I gave it all away to some kid.

GRR!

Absolutely, completed it with 23 hours clocked in, took a few weeks to complete. There's one area in the game where the enemies spike in difficulty. Overall the story was pretty enjoyable, have you played it yet? You having played it before or not will vary my response.

I did have the chance to play through it and I have to say, I was really blown away. The game is a worthy successor to Earthbound in every way and playing it was quite a throw-back to my childhood. I still remember the day I received the email that the translation was completed, I was absolutely elated. :D

Here is a tale for you all!!

When chrono trigger was released it NEVER saw the light of day in england!

Me and my buddy shaun were snes heads - one day we are in town and we look in the window of gamestation and there it is an american version of chrono trigger along with the convertor!!! all for 50 English pounds!!

At the time we were just young teenagers and we saved up cash - one week passed and the game was still in the window - we took in a few a snes games and as many pennies as we would and traded the games and handed over the cash.

We could not beilive we had chrono trigger in our hands the box the catridge the plastic wrappers EVERYTHING!!

We loved the game no doubt from the moment the clocks pendalum swings in at the start!

I never completed it but shaun did -

Quite a few years passed - im like "You still got your snes with chrono trigger?" No he replies I gave it all away to some kid.

GRR!

That sucks! The way I see it, that guy owes you half the cost. Thats pretty fucked. You do need to get a rom going at get back into it. Shit... I want to play it again now.