How do you study?

Lucandrake

So after 1 year of college, I've come to realize that I really don't know how to study. Sure I can read, I can memorize some of the data the teacher throws at me, I can even write down notes in my palms while taking a test (although publicly, I don't do that). Having failed my first exam this semester(due to my lack of study's), I've decided to do something about it. I wish to learn HOW to study effectively, so for the next few weeks I'm going to read a subject matter for an hour a day to attempt to stick it into my head as permanent knowledge. Any of you got ideas or tips on how to accomplish this?

Better yet, do any of you realize differences between you and your peers concerning the rate of knowledge you gain? Is it easier for you to recall information and if so why do you think that? Is there a magic pill that determines intellect or are we all doomed to do the same "hard work" in order to gain it? Whatever, just post your thoughts, I think I've asked the same question with more than one form enough times already.

One last question, how important is education (not a degree, knowledge itself) in life?

I believe retaining knowledge has mostly to do with how interesting a subject is to you. It's easy when you're having an awesome time learning the shit, but quite the opposite when you're bored to death. Some people, who I am envious of, have the discipline to force themselves to learn things they despise.

I myself am probably a sloppy studier. I take notes in class, and not necessarily to review but to write it down while the action itself helps you to remember something better than just hearing it and also going back to it before a test. Beyond that, I simply attempt to read the required material but as I do it I do try to filter out the stuff that I believe is unimportant and won't be on a test. You should definitely gauge a professor for how they administer tests and what type of things he/she commonly tries to throw at you during exams, as opposed to things he/she blatantly leaves out. A nice professor will tell you exactly what you need to know and that should be self-explanatory.

I do this however on a procrastinating basis.

Study groups? Fuck that. Although they're probably good for you. Unless there are hot chicks.

Flash cards? Sometimes they can be perfect for studying, and other times more work than they're worth and utterly useless. It depends on the type of exam. If its a lot of memory recall on specific vocabulary and their content, dates and events, people and their achievements, flash cards are useful. If the exam is based on bluebook paragraph answers intended for comprehensive critical thinking (basically regurgitating the views and opinions your professor lectured you on) than they're not as useful.

I personally can't stand cafe's and those people with their macbook pros and shit, trying to study or write or whatever.

A good study session for me would include some a snack, a Monster or some other energy drink(s) and not forcing yourself to study more than you actually feel like. Cramming is bad and although for some like myself can do it because of procrastination, you generally don't retain the information afterwards and you feel sick during because you're throwing a lot of material at yourself to cover.

Its difficult for us gamer junkies but proper studying is mostly just consistency. A sufficient amount every week and not delaying it until the last day before an exam. An hour or two a weekend or maybe more depending on the material and reviewing before the exam with your notes or your flash cards and you should be fine.

If you still fail, its the fucking professor's fault. For serious.

The older I get, the harder it is for me to retain information. It's quite frustrating. I learn quickly when I'm reading and listening at the same time.

I find what helps me most is actually handwriting things. I take TONS of notes in class and whatever I want to memorize I will write over and over again. I think I remember hearing about a study that was done that said when you write things by hand (NOT TYPE) you actually do remember better, so it makes sense I guess.

I never made notes at lectures in university. I just listened. Or not. Then when it came to writing essays I'd read the relavant bits of the relavant books and piece an argument around useful quotes I picked out. I never read a whole book in the three years of my course.