FLAC to MP3

Shibathedog

I'm trying to burn an MP3 CD for a friend but a lot of the music I have is only in FLAC. (You can't get it in any other format, it's some independent stuff) Is there a decent program for converting FLAC files to MP3 with as little quality loss as possible? (I know there will be some, just trying to minimize it)

Use a FLAC-LAME combo with flac -d -c "filename.flac" | lame --preset standard - "filename.mp3"

if you want better than VBR ~190kbps, use --preset extreme or insane

Who the heck uses VBR? It's too inconsistent in algo quality, and hard drives aren't tiny anymore...320kbps CBR or nothing.

Use a FLAC-LAME combo with flac -d -c "filename.flac" | lame --preset standard - "filename.mp3"

Who the heck uses VBR? It's too inconsistent in algo quality, and hard drives aren't tiny anymore...320kbps CBR or nothing.

A lot of people really. Not that it matters to me personally. Most of my stuff is in either CBR or VBR, and I don't really care about "inconsistencies in algo quality".

A lot of people really. Not that it matters to me personally. Most of my stuff is in either CBR or VBR, and I don't really care about "inconsistencies in algo quality".

Yeah, V0 mp3's are very popular on music torrent sites. Scene groups usually encode to V2.